Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Taking Baby Abroad

Hi ladies, just looking for some tips on taking baby abroad. Hannah will be 8 months when we take her to Spain.

We are doing blw, so will she be ok to eat their food?

Do I need to wash fruit/veg served in restaurants again?

She will be drinking bottled water, is it Evian that's the best?

What are the policies on taking milk through customs? We plan to take a tub of Aptamil in our hand luggage, unopened. She will need a feed on the flight, how best to do this? We normally take water in the bottle, and then add powder from our dispenser when ready.

Do they make you taste it? I don't want to have to make the bottle up at security, and we can't put our mouth around her bottle to taste it in front of them!

If we take cartons, again, don't want to open it at security, and how do you open them on the plane if you don't have scissors?

Sorry for the million questions, I can't believe how hard this is! We used to go away for the week with just a hand luggage each, breeze through security, then hop in a taxi. Now we have to take a pram, car seat, massive suitcase, worry about milk/heat/sleeps, and that's before we even think about looking after my mum and her wheelchair too!! :roll:

Replies

• When are you going Cate?

Grace is 7 1/2 months and we are off to Minorca tomorrow for a week, so could let you know how it all goes when we come back if that's any help.

I do think airports and in fact individual security officers do vary in what/ how much they ask you to taste. We will be flying from Birmingham.

Em x
  • EmmaC - we're going to Majorca tomorrow ! image

It is a minefield - DS seems to have two suitcases of his own !!! DH and I are having to share one ! I'm sure I've taken way too much but as I've not done it before I thought it best to be prepared !!!

As for milk - we are getting some carton from boots once we are through security !
  • Smithyswife, Grace has two suitcases too and hubby and I are sharing!

I've packed a tub of formula in the suitcase, and will take two empty bottles, one serving of powder and one carton in my hand luggage. Our hall looks as though we are emigrating rather than going away for a week! Have a fab time in Majorca image
  • if you ring Boots at your airport terminal, you may be able to order cartons. you can at Manchester airport x