Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this insulting

Replies

• Ps. i also found Denise VO's comments more insulting, she should have just kept her mouth shut rather than using it as another few column inches! If she had been photographed feeding her baby, it would have been encouraging for new mums who are daunted about feeding in public - no-one sees anything anyway, i'm sure the photoshoots she has done in the past show more flesh than feeding her daughter would do!
  • Lucky her that she had such a wonderful delivery hey?! I wonder how she would feel if the tables where turned and she ended up with a em section... hmmm.

I dont find it insulting but i do want to give her a slap back to reality!! xx
  • Everyone as a right to their opionion I am still bf and Luke is 11 months I love it and find it the most natrual thing and he still loves milky from mummy, although some mums their milk does dry up so are unable to feed and others just don't like it. I think bf is far easier though as its on tap rather than all that messing about with bottles etc. I think it is down to the mother and its personal choice but I am for bf and would do it again if ever I had another baby.
  • well, i did a lot of prep for labour too. i read everything i could and attended both nct and nhs antenatal classes so i was informed. i did natal hypnotherapy to prepare too. i spent the last 2 months of pregnancy on my birth ball whenever possible to get baby into the best position. i researched ways i would try to manage pain during labour and didnt for one second think it would be pain free! i also had a home birth. if people dont do the classes and dont do the research how can they expect to be able to make informed decisions during labour? there have been enough programmes on labour in the past few years showing women who go into labour with rose coloured specs end up with epidurals and c sections. obviously sometimes baby ends up back to back or in distress. but the same thing is happening to you as every other woman so why do some people cope with the same pain very differently?

and i partially agree with the breastfeeding, but id say 3 days because while recognising the improvements in formula, colostrum it aint. i lso researched breastfeeding. i read everything. i even read the lesson plans and resources for a heath professionals breastfeeding course i got my hands on. issues i had in the early days of feeding i knew i could overcome. i knew that, despite feeling the opposite, of course i had enough milk, and that it works on supply and demand so to put baby there! i knew the pain was down to bad attachment and had bfing support and midwives check frequently. i knew to expect pain when my milk came in on day three and had flannels and cold / hot things and paracetamol ready. i had nursing bras and nursing tops too to make it easier. and a nursing pillow which was a godsend at the start.

at first breastfeeding is uncomfortable, sometimes painful, it is all consuming, exhausting and baby has to be your number one priority for those first 2 weeks while you get it established. i did not leave the house for 2 weeks as establishing breastfeeding is far more important than showing off a baby like a new toy. if people suddenly find themselves with a baby and have maybe read one leaflet on how to breastfeed, that's lack of prep, not an inability to do what you reasts are intended for.

yes breastfeeding is painful. you deal with it.

*ducks for cover*
  • Calleigh, whilst I strongly agree with what you are saying about preparing yourself for labour and bf (I did both even before I fell pregnant- I was a woman obsessed) I didn't get the HB I was after and totally prepared for I has a c- section and couldn't BF for 6 days due to tongue tie for which I had to push to get diagnosed and again to have corrected. Its is only because I was so well informed that I was able to calmly write of a homebirth and be aware of what would happen next the moment I saw my waters and it is only because I was so well informed that I am able to and still BF now 5 months on. I'm fortunate as from seeing you post on here I imagine you are that I have been brought up to question things and research anything I want to know the answer too and to go into things fully prepared, not everybody is. For some women Denise Van Outen is going to be providing them with the information the use to make there decision about breast feeding!

I actually disagree with the 'happy mum happy baby' stance people roll out to justify not BF or stopping when the going gets tough (except in extreme cases e.g. PND) sometimes if a not so happy mum equals a happier and healthier baby then that is just one of the few sacrifices you have to make now you are part of the mostly wonderful world of motherhood!

*also ducks for cover*
  • I feel I can comment on this from both sides of the fence. I BF for 3 days, expressed for a week, mixed FF and EBM for a week then exclusively FF for 3 weeks. I was wracked with guilt, but didn't know who to turn to. My Mum didn't BF, nor MIL, and my midwife was totally disinterested. I felt at the time I had no choice and Lucas was thriving.

BUT I was so full of regret I started to relactate, watched every latch video I could, met with my local BF group and at 14.5 weeks Lucas is EBF. I know next time I will persevere and endure the pain to get it right. While the first weeks are hard, they're nowhere near as hard as relactating.

I still think she is a gobshite and would slap her as soon as see her. A law to BF? Stick it Mrs! Medication, poor production (although rare), lack of support etc...sort that out and then think about it!
  • I think she was blunt and smug and very lucky to have the ideal natural labour/ easy bf etc - but I think she's a far better role model than the likes of Katie Price who said in a mag 'I don't care what anybody says I'm not having a baby drink from me'. And opposite that interview was an ad for formula!

Katie Price is filmed going in for her c-section and talks about her designer vagina and shows off her boxes of pre-sterile disposable bottles. I would rather aspire to Gisele who, although smug, is only advocating natural home birth/ not eating junk/ bf.

She looks fab, her baby is gorgeous - she just fell into the trap of thinking 'if only everyone had done the same as me they too would have the perfect birth/post birth body' etc. She probably just doesn't realise how lucky she is.
  • i also have issues with denise van outen and was going to write a letter to the mag this month about it. i had issues (and put them on here) when her baby was born and she was saying in her column that she was combi feeding and how good it was. i just thought that was irresponsible as if people were reading who didnt now a lot they might try, and their milk supply be affected. also, the comment about being papped, well that's just a lie. when she was in her early career she flashed her boobs at prince charles!!!!! the truth is she didnt want to bf, she's been on tv in the early days you cant do that if you bf. baby is not her number one priority.

girlyone i think too many poeple spend longer choosing their pram than researching breastfeeding. people on here complain when their mws try to push them to bf, then complain when nobody seems interested. to me its all excuses as its a hard thing to do. and with regards the birth i was well prepared but i also had my bags packed and the baby's in case we had to go in. i knew what are the main reasons for being transfered and knew to trust my midwives. i would have gone in willingly if there was an issue, i know things can change and hb could be taken off the table, but i was prepared. it was fab though and i would again plan a homebirth, although we had to get a new carpet after this baby so the pool might be in the kitchen!

[Modified by: ***Calleigh*** on August 03, 2010 01:13 PM]

• Couldn't even be bothered to read the whole article her opinion is so far out of the real world like most celebrities that it has no bearing on me and certainly doesn't make me feel bad about the fact I COULDN'T continue bf Dylan.

I just think shes a tit!

[Modified by: dylansmummy on August 03, 2010 01:47 PM]

• shes an arse and lets take a little persepective - m ylo is breastfed and for the first 4 weeks i never moved off the sofa and it was a complete nightmare - now if I had millions at my disposal for people to cook for me clean for me look after other children I have etc etc then maybe a lot more women would be able to bf. I want another child and soon but I honestly don't know if I could bf the same way I have done with Reece I was lucky in that DS1 was at school so this helped a great deal but having a toddler running about while stuck to the sofa with a baby stuck to you is not going to be easy - I'll try it see how it goes but I'm not gonna kill myself the needs of my other children must be taken into account too - my ds1 was ff from 2 weeks and he is fine xx
  • I posted about this in the pregnancy forum after reading it in the Metro Newspaper this morning, she has made a lot of people angry today!
  • I think Denise VO is a selfish woman who should put the welfare of her child before the perceived horror of having her nips papped in starbucks, I mean, what's more important? And her hubby wanted to feed the baby? Oh pass the bucket, the reason women have boobs and men don't is for that very reason, men can't be involved in everything, there are some things only a mother can do and breastfeeding is one of them.

I think a law before 6 months is extreme, however, I think to not even try breastfeeding or give up because you don't feel sexy like the other idiot in the article, simply points to the fact that these women just aren't cut out to be mothers. I agree strongly that women ought to try it,and not just for a few days and then say...ooh it made my nips hurt/didn't have enough milk/was a hungry baby etc etc, these are all excuses. I know this will cause a right royal rumpus but in my opinion if you don't want to at least try (properly that is) to feed your baby then why bother having it in the first place, ditto expecting baby to self settle from days old. It takes time, energy and a lot of hard work to do all that mothering requires.

• Its not the opinion that breastfeeding is important that I object to or find insulting: its the way she puts her point across in an extremely smug and patronising manner. Nobody is saying they disagree that breast is best and if she had been promoting it in a sensible manner, she would have been applauded for it. It appears that she has had a good experience of birth and breastfeeding and that has blinkered her views to believing that those who didnt have the same experience and therefore made different choices, are somehow lacking and that is what I object to.

there have been enough programmes on labour in the past few years showing women who go into labour with rose coloured specs end up with epidurals and c sections. obviously sometimes baby ends up back to back or in distress. but the same thing is happening to you as every other woman so why do some people cope with the same pain very differently?

Calleigh - I was informed that an induction would likely occur for me when, at 37 weeks, i developed Pre eclampsia. I chose not to research inductions as I did not wish to scare myself and I am glad I didnt. Are you saying that had i researched it, i would have avoided having an epidural (not that i believe there is anything wrong in that) or a section? Because if so i believe your logic is a little flawed. Apologies if I have misunderstood but I found your post to be quite patronising and quite dismissive of the difficulties people experience. Im glad you have had positive experiences and have been able to overcome difficulties but for some people those difficulties are too hard. We all wants what is best for our baby's at the end of the day.

• 'Quote:

I think a law before 6 months is extreme, however, I think to not even try breastfeeding or give up because you don't feel sexy like the other idiot in the article, simply points to the fact that these women just aren't cut out to be mothers. I agree strongly that women ought to try it,and not just for a few days and then say...ooh it made my nips hurt/didn't have enough milk/was a hungry baby etc etc, these are all excuses. I know this will cause a right royal rumpus but in my opinion if you don't want to at least try (properly that is) to feed your baby then why bother having it in the first place, ditto expecting baby to self settle from days old. It takes time, energy and a lot of hard work to do all that mothering requires.

Quote'

Thats a little harsh, there's a lot more to having a baby than just feeding.
  • I think she's an idiot who needs to think before she speaks, ditto denise van outen. I hate that people use their babies for publicity. Enjoy being a mum!! I didn't breastfeed long but I personally thought Charlotte Church was a very good role model.

As for the birth thing lucky you Gisele. I was in labour for 24 hours with a baby that couldn't be delivered naturally (until she moved at after much persuasion), I was told I would very likely need forceps and/or c section. If I had been at home I would have been transferred to hospital an was so exhausted I opted for an epidural. I was coping well with the pain but I was running out of energy. So what if millions of women have had natural births they have also been having ceseareans since bloody cesear!!! Sometimes nature gets it wrong and c sections are necessary. It doesn't mean you were soft and gave up.
  • I'm honestly not sure about Denise Van Outen - I mean I really used to like her - but her decision to give up bf was clearly all about HER. If she truly wanted the very best for her little girl she would have kept at it a bit longer, and sod the paps. I think the words she has said in that interview will have negatively affected people's perception of bf in public and will discourage other girls from doing it too.

I don't think anyone should let Gisele's words - incredibly smug and misguided - upset them. I had a less-than-perfect birth with 2 of my 3 children, but never mind! My children are here and thats what matters to me. I know from experience that every birth is different - with very different levels of pain depending a lot on position of baby. Of course you don't have any control over things like pre-eclampsia - if Gisele had had pre-eclampsia she would have gone on and on about that in the interview, raising awareness of the issue, and probably been applauded for it.

I think it's a bit of a shame that there are so many negative bf stories in the media - 'creepy' and the like, and then when a supermodel gives her opinion and a positive bf experience she is slammed for it.

The bf law thing is a bit ridiculous - and is bound to get people's backs up - and I don't agree with it - but......someone posted on here recently that in Denmark formula is not sold off the shelf but by prescription only - and bf rates are obviously sooo much higher there, something like 98%. So maybe not as ridiculous as it sounds.

I don't think a lot of celeb mums do put their children first - they are more like accessories and photo-opportunities to them. It's all about nannies and being a size 0 minutes after the birth! It's all about celebrity - not mothering - don't let it anger you girls.

• what i objected to when i first read her combi feeding thing in prima baby was how irresponsible it was to say how good it was to share the feeding, especially so early, as it would affect her supply and other women might copy. so really its no suprise her milk supply dried up. she allowed it to dry up. to get your milk supply up baby needs to be on their feeding!

pumpkin pie i did actually state that sometomes there is a need for sections and epidurals etc when baby is in a bad position or with other dangerous issues in labour. although positioning could be avoided to a degree by being active and upright towards the end of pregnancy. what i was saying is there are a lot of women who have needless sections as they cant stand the pain of a normal labour. what do they expect labour to be like?

like tootie said, if formula wa on perscription how many of the women who "can't" feed would suddenly be able to. it's a difficult thing to do, and formula is available everywhere, thats why we have so low rates here. women choose to give formula.
  • I think we all know breast is best how could we not?! I had one go at BF my daughter but after a difficult birth I just wanted her to be fed, I didn't mind weather it was breast or bottle, I tried, I caved. This doesn't bother me anymore (it did) There's lots of worse things a mother could do than to FF.

Im sorry but anyone who says my labour was pain free is lying surely? Surely they must of winced a bit??

I don't get why people are so upset by DVO surely its her baby her choice?

Im not going to worry about the opinion of someone who prances around in bikinis for a living image LoL
  • Hello all,

I find this really interesting. I very rarely inflict strong opinions re parenting on others, but today I can't help myself! :lol:

Personally, I think it's absolutely disgusting that people feel justified to comment on the parenting 'ability' of others when it comes to breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding / natural delivery vs. caeserean delivery etc. Any view of advocating a worldwide, pro-breastfeeding 'law' is ridiculous, in my opinion.

I have taken the advice of professionals when decisions haven't been easy or obvious. I was lucky enough to get the natural delivery I wanted for my baby girl. Feeding has been another story. Most importantly, I have a happy, healthy child.

I would like to see how anyone in my shoes could have exclusively breastfed. I hope the Daily Mail have the wrong end of the stick and have misquoted her, silly woman :evil:

[Modified by: secretsquirrel on August 04, 2010 06:37 AM]

• i had left this thread alone but....

"what i was saying is there are a lot of women who have needless sections as they cant stand the pain of a normal labour. what do they expect labour to be like? "

who does this? i'm certain no nhs c sections would be performed on the basis of the woman not coping with the pain??? an nhs c section is never needless, u have to have very good reason to have one, whether that be an emergency c sec because baby is distressed, or whether it be planned due to breech or other complications, not that labour hurts too much? i do wonder where u get such notions from? the only needless c sections would be those 'lifestyle' c sections done in private hospitals simply to fit in to the mothers schedule (ie Victoria Beckham, and Katie Price)...hardly 'a lot' or common place really is it? i'm actually slightly offended by that comment and now wonder if perhaps i'm deemed a mum who couldn't 'hack it' and opted for a needless c section...when in fact i was in hours of agony after an induced labour that didn't progress past 2cm and ds back to back (although no one knew this until they cut me open) and was in distress...yes it hurt, but i would've much rather carried on and had him arrive safely, the c section was only my 'choice' because the doctors were recommending it because ds was distressed, had his heart rate been ok i would've continued for aslong as need be (i'd already turned down the c section 3 times earlier on in the day and only conceded because i could see it was best for my little boy) the hwole labour/birth experience left me with ptsd, so i would hardly say it was needless, and i can't see how nhs one would be? 'it hurts too much ', 'oh, would u like a c sectiion then?' ....i think not

if gisele is really serious about making it a global law that u need to bf for 6 months, what does she propose the women in Belgiulm and other countries across the globe, do when there statutory maternity leave ends at just 15weeks? ... in her little mind obviously yes it would be ideal if we could all ebf for 6 months, but hardly practical is it? did she actually engage her brain before she spoke? just to add, i'm very pro bf, and bf ds until 7 montsh, but think she's wasted such a golden opportunity to promote bf to the masses by tarring it with such silly ideals, building even more the public notion of the 'bf mafia' and making people resentful of it.

perhaps DVO was feeling terribly guilty that she stopped, i can't imagine it would be nice to have someones camera flashing in ur face every time u want to bf ur baby, perhaps she thought it might make the paps think twice about their actions and how they implicate on peopels lives...perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...no one knows 100% why she stopped bf, btu she gave it a go, well done her. i know i hated bf in public, which is why i mixfed ds until 7months, rather than ebf...maybe it will open the worlds eyes (or the uk's anyway) that their attitude on public bf is having such a negative impact on new mums that its causing some to give up altogether...xx