Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this insulting

Replies

• Options
    She would hate me - I had a section because baby was found to be breech at 40+1 and too big to be turned I also gave up breastfeeding after my little girl chomped my nipples to bits to the extent that they started weeping pus and midwives said they were the worst they'd seen. I feel teary and guilty that I not bf my daughter I always knew it would be difficult bit never imagined it could be quite aa painful as it got. Gisele is a self righteous moo who cleat does 't live in he real world .
  • Options
    wel i know 2 such women well. one has opted for a section as she doesnt want to go through labour. another didnt attend antenatal classes, listen to the mws during labour, and demanded a section, which they tried to talk her out of as there was no medical reason for it. and i think its naive to think they dont happen, or only with celebs, bacause they do.

if your nipples were so bad was that not down to bad attachment?
  • Options
    I have been wracked with guilt for the last 14 weeks over my inability to bf my daughter and comments like gisele's do nothing to help that. I have tried everything I can think of to try and get bf established (whole days of skin to skin and offering breast constantly, expressing for 20 mins every hour all day and using herbal remedies to try and boost supply, using a supplemental nursing system etc) but it just hasn't been successful despite all my hard work and many tears!

Like most mums I am fully aware that breast is best and I would give anything to be able to bf but I am now beginning to accept that my daughter is thriving even if I am not able to feed her and that is what my priority should be.

I must also be a doubly bad mother in gisele's opinion as, after a 43 hour labour, I had to have interventions as lo was back to back and completely wedged! I pushed for 5 hours before being taken to theatre (other emergencies on labour ward so had to wait) and whilst I wanted a natural birth I didn't hesitate to agree to interventions when I was told they were in my daughter's best interests as at no point did I want her to get distressed and put her at risk.
  • Options
    If the comments made really were Gisele's, then she is an idiot and should think more carefully before she speaks! How is a law enforcing breastfeeding going to help anyone? Most women I know who didn't manage to breastfeed for very long feel guilty enough - what they need is support and help, not punishment if they don't keep it up.

I hate the terms pro and anti for the way you feed your child (as long as it's milk - haha - I'm anti-arsenic feeding). How can you be 'anti' breastfeeding, even if you choose not to do it yourself? I breastfed for 9 months and was lucky enough not to have any problems, but it doesn't make me a better mother than someone who breastfed a day. We all have our reasons for reaching the decisions we do, and the majority of women are trying their best.

As for Gisele's comments on labour - I am still upset on a daily basis that I didn't have a positive birth experience. She should feel lucky that things worked out for her, and maybe suggest ways to help other women, rather than just make silly sweeping statements like she has done.

• Options
    I think she's targeting people that just pick up the formula and hasn't thought about what she has said. I don't find what she has said all that offensive, it sounds more like she personally wanted a home birth, and not that everyone should have one. she's probably highly embarrassed by the way in which the media have portrayed what she has said.
  • Options
    i personally think shes a *** .
    i didnt bf either of my girls and they are perfectly healthy. with out going into to much details . i could not physically do it due to something which happened we i was younger. so there is more things to consider than just well they couldnt be arsed. i also found that bottle feeding as enabled my DDs an DH to bond .
  • Options
    I say go and live on your farm in the country and stop annoying and insulting normal women. I don't want to see your skinny and self righteous person in any magazines anymore thank you very much !!!!
  • Options

[Modified by: Lucky Mummy on August 05, 2010 10:56 AM]

• Options
    The more I think about this the more something grates on me - Its ok for one moronic idiot to pusblish that she 'just couldn't be fagged' and found bf creepy, wanted her body back and a glass of wine - and that gets called honest - and yet this one, which admittedly is the other extreme, is being slated...

both are simply honest opinions from people (in the limelight) neither seem to particularly have any idea about the 'other side' of their situations

so whilst I think this woman was a bit tactless, I also have the same opinion (or maybe possibly worse image) of theother woman (the editor one?)

If you're going to slate one, slate them all! ;\)

xx
  • Options
    My 2 penneth is that they are all talking bollocks, but personally I think that what Giselle said is worse (a bit worse anyway) because she is being judgemental, and making other mums feel bad. I honestly don't give a faff how anyone else (famous or otherwise) choses to feed their own baby, and I don't expect people to judge me for the choices I made for mine.

We are all loving mum's who are doing the best we can for our LO's. Surely that means far more than how we choose to feed?

• Options
    I would loved to have had an easy labour (natural i did) but easy hell no. I would also have loved to have been able to bf longer than 3 weeks but i just couldnt do it when trying to express filled a bottle with blood (yes had she had been latching properly to me and had a bf coach and midwife support my nips are to soft and sensitive to do it although will attempt again with no2 due in jan) Also did not produce enough in right breast (was a e cup on left where milk was in and only a c on right where nothing come in.)

It shouldnt matter how u choose to feed your baby bf or ff but isnt it importnant that we do feed our babies and that the thrive and grow and develope properly.

There are alot of posts on here that made me want to scream, like making other mothers feel bad as they dont deal with pain so well. EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT PAIN THRESHOLDS. Surely all that matters is that the baby is delivered safely and mother and baby survive. Although i wouldnt personally choose to have a c-section just to have baby early or get into shape or do a cleb thing and have tummy tucked at same time but if i needed it so be it if i needed any medical intervention then i need it, if someone chooses an epidural surley that helping them to stay calm during labour will help prevent the baby getting distressed.

It doesnt matter how you choose to feed your baby bf or ff it doesnt make you a better or worse mum. We know our bodies and our babies and we know the right choices for us and them.
  • Options
    I agree with the lady above. Some things on here are just as bad as the article in question, plus the editor a few weeks ago. I hate hate hate it when people are questioned and made to justify their decisions when it's nobody else's business! I don't care what others did... I did things the best way for me and my baby and that's all that counts. No high horses needed. What right does one mother have to judge another? We should save our judgements for people who deserve it (rapists, murderers, the government image )
    I had a c-section for reasons I won't go into now but they were certainly not for convenience or "to avoid pain". Having a section is painful for weeks and months so only an idiot would choose it for that reason! But I don't believe in my wildest dreams that someone who had a natural birth is a better mother than me purely for that. I am a fantastic mum, natural birth or otherwise. For the record, I also FF because despite what some people think, there are some unlucky ladies who cannot bf. I tried in vain for 3 weeks, went to councillors etc. I also highly prepared myself for both things before the actual fact, and it didn't make a damn difference. No matter how much you read, it won't change the fact that your body doesn't produce milk, does it? Or you baby has a tongue tie?
    Even if I had chosen to ff from the start, that's nobody's business but mine.
    xx
  • Options
    cutting through skin, fat, muscles uterus - that could possibly affect your ability to carry another child is certainly not an easy option anyone who seriously thinks it is is an idiot!
  • Options
    I'm disgusted with anyone, be it celeb or not, who think they have the right to basically accuse any woman of being less of a mother for not brestfeeding. We all know it is the best for baby, I think it is an amazing thing, but my Son is FF, the reasons I will not go into as I should not have to justify myself to anyone, and he is thriving. He is happy, alert and contented and we have such an amazing bond. I just wish that people would understand that what works for one sometimes, does not work for another. Whether you BF or FF, your still a Mum, you still love and cherish your child, and want the absolute best for them.

Rant over, lol
  • Options
    Oh, Summer et al, im so glad you have said that as I have been wanting to on this post (and another one in pg I might add!) I struggle to understand why ANYONE would choose a section. Its an horrific experience that I never want to repeat, and I didnt have a choice about mine - I wasnt even aloud to go into labour!

With regards to breast vs bottle I took a long time to come to terms with my decision so im not going to comment on that at all for my own sanity xx
  • Options
    i'm going to briefly echo wha others have said, that this is far too judgemental and short-sited and a real waste of an opportunity to positively promote breastfeeding as a role model.
    i also wanted to add that what really peed me off about the article was that she didn't really seem to be promoting breastfeeding as being the best for the baby but focussing mainly on how it helped her to get her figure back quickly. i also think she can't preach about how everyone should breastfeed in the same interview as going on about hardly putting on any weight during pregnancy and losing it all within weeks - this is definitely not the best thing for your baby as not gaining enough weight in pregnancy can lead to having a low birth weight baby and i would assume would also affect your milk supply seeing as some of the extra weight is for the purpose of creating breast milk. therefore this decision of hers put her own vanity in front of her babies health and is in my opinion similar to people choosing not to breastfeed for vanity reasons.
  • Options

if your nipples were so bad was that not down to bad attachment?

Calleigh,

I had this issue with my dd. My nipples were torn apart, literally split from side to side. DD was admitted back into hospital for jaundice, and an amazing nurse on the children's ward saw the state of me and arranged a visit with the hospital's breastfeeding advisor for me.

She came up and confirmed that the attachment was fine, my issue was actually flat nipples.

Having attended breastfeeding classes as you have, I'm sure you'll remember they teach you that your nipple must reach the soft part of the roof of baby's mouth - my nipples didn't even reach that. Breastfeeding naturally will always be a horrendously painful experience for me. I just wanted to let you know that bad latch is not always at fault. (The advisor recommended nipple shields, unfortunately too much damage had already been done and I ended up ff on the advice of my health visitor)

Most of you will not even know who I am as I so rarely post, and never take part in debates such as this, but on this occasion I am. My second birth was very easy, manageable pain, only a few minutes of pushing etc... Going on this birth, I would probably have wondered what all the fuss is about. Epidurals? Pah, who'd need one? I now feel quite lucky that my first birth was the nightmare it was - induced, too fast a drip, ventouse and forceps, ridiculous tear, pnd which was undiagnosed until dd was a year and a half - as it prevented me from putting myself up on a pedestal similar to Gisele's. I am not some amazing baby-making supremo who is better at labour than everyone else! Noone is.
  • Options
    I never normally bother with these debates but some of the things people have said on here have made me incredibly cross.

For God's sake, stop judging other mothers!!! Despite what you may think, you have absolutely no right to.

Every single one of you knows that being a mummy is the hardest job in the world. We should be supporting each other not ripping each other to pieces for having different approaches to parenting.
  • Options
    I don't think I'm a particularly judgmental person - maybe on here I seem it, but in real life to other mums and friends I'm certainly not. It's just that when celeb mums set themselves up as role models, sell pics of their babies and articles/interviews etc - I think we have every right to comment.

Bf - no matter whether its Gisele's or DVO's or anyone else's story - always seems to have a negative slant on it and is portrayed as something a bit creepy, something we don't really like doing, that should happen behind closed doors, oh - but we all know it's BEST - we just won't do it!

This is something which should be countered - people are writing on a baby forum not shouting down mothers in the street.

The fact that bf is NORMAL never seems to come across in the media - and if I want to comment on that I will.

xx
  • Options
    oh gemmie baby i too cant even think about bf anymore as it was most prob more traumatic than the c section!