Forum home Babies Baby

Anyone refused induction

124»

Replies

• I want to be mobile?? I don't want continous monitoring ffs love it is totally out ur hands in a way u wouldn't believe!! Birth plans are a waste of time totally . This is y I never n wouldn't go to antenatal classes cus they put s!ite in ur head, a Mw/dr will always give u the worse case scenario, yes things can happen !! That's life
  • Totally agree with you CC - no woman should have to compromise what happens to her body or her baby just for the sake of 'standard intervention'...i truly believe that we should all be treated as the individuals we are - especially in a circumstance as defining and important as pregnancy/birth but sadly, this holistic principle gets lost in practice sometimes - which is a shame.

Thanks littlewolf for your HP advice as a midwife :\)

SF xxx
  • Not meaning to be rude but littlewolf have you had your baby yet? Is it possible that pregnant women are more focussed on the birth itself rather than the reality of how little it could matter once LO is here. When I was pregnant I had all sorts of beautiful ideas about how my babys birth would be (always confused by people who refer to it as their birth!?) but my LO had his own plan of action. I pretty soon went against everything I had planned because I knew I had to for a safe delivery. Yes it was less than ideal but I honestly couldn't care less about that.
  • littlewolf I agree, I would always aim for the birth I felt I would be most comfortable and confident because statistically that's safest. However if there were even a sniff of danger I'd do whatever it took, mind you I think we're all agreed on that. I hope your 3rd goes well for you too
  • Unfortunatley Elmo feeling that she did not have a choice in what happened to her is more common than it should be. With my first I was induced due to high bp, at a very busy teaching hospital and they were just talking to each other and the students and then rushing off to the next patient and paying me hardly any attention at all and I felt that I barely knew what was going on never mind having any control over it. For those reasons I opted for a home birth for my second so i would feel a lot more aware and in control of what was happening and therefore be able to make the best decisions for me and my baby.

Unfortunately due to meconium in my waters when they went I ended up having to go to hospital anyway, but this time I made sure there were no students and when I was advised to have a drip to speed up contractions I made them explain everything to me properly.

Mich, it may be that you are not able to ask the right questions due to how you are feeling at the time so make sure your hubby also knows to ask about pros and cons of anything they recommend.

I'll also just add that even though I was being constantly monitored I was still able to move around a certain amount and was able to bounce on the ball etc and gave birth in a kneeling postition on the bed leaning on the back of the bed, the mw wanted me to lie down but I refused.

I hope you are able to go into labour spontaniously and have the birth you hope for - it can happen.
  • Interesting discussion - I think most people would agree there is no 'black and white' answer here - neither going beyond 42wks or an induction is ideal is it? Let's hope the OP goes into labour spontaneously before this thread has finished raging lol!

I must admit that, for me, it would never have entered my head to refuse an induction if that's what the doctors/mw's were telling me to do. No matter who is wrong or right - IF I went against medical advice and IF something went wrong, I believe I would never forgive myself. Just my own feelings on the subject - but everyone is different.

I suppose i was fortunate that I didn't go overdue on any of my 3 pregnancies.....

xx
  • Elmo I think it is very sad indeed if you didn't realise you had the basic right to choose whether to be induced or not and you thought it was in some way compulsory. Shame on your care providers if they led you to believe this.
    Part of me is wondering if you are fully compus mentus tbh from the way you type.

is it really the fault of the care providers? i went to nct classes as well as the nhs ones as well as independently researching labour etc. i armed myself with information. in the end i had a home water birth. i was, however, happy to go in to hospital if the mw said it was the best option at any point and mine and dd's bags were packed just in case. i was aware of what issues might lead to me being transferred and why well before i went into labour.

if someone else says they wouldnt go to antenatal classes, then didnt know their options, how is that the fault of the health service? the information is out there. if people cant be bothered to find it, thats down to them.
  • I'd like to throw a spanner in the works here.....

My first child is now 3. When i went in to labour with him I was in the pub (bad mummy!) having a small glass of wine coz I'd tried everything else and it just wasnt happening.
    Anyhoo, my waters went (my hind waters actually but i though it was my full waters). We went straight home (I never did finish that small glass of wine) and i rang the MW at hospital to explain. She told me to come straight down for monitoring.
    I was in no pain whatsoever, and other than a now very slow leakage I could have carried on as normal.....

When i got to hospital and was monitored I scared the midwives. My contractions were off their scale and i was dilating fast. (went from 1cm to 3 cm in the space of half an hour)
    I was still oblivious to all of this! No-one explained anything to me, all i ever saw was the monitor sheet and the spikes going up so high the tops of them weren't there!
    When I got to 3cm dilated, my contractions stayed the same but i stopped dilating.... in theory because we only lived 15 mins away from the hospital, had this been a 'normal' labour (and pregnancy) i could have gone home. Because i was as happy as larry and couldn't feel any pain at all (I was naive and actually asking for there to be pain!) they were too scared to let me go home. They had no idea what was going to happen and there was no way I could tell them as I couldn't feel a thing! I spent 22 hours sat on the maternity ward in labour, it took 20 hours for me to get from 3cm to 4 cm (after dilating 2cm in half an hour previously)
    I had been given 3 pesseries to try and 'get me going again' and none of them worked. I was then sat down (conveniently just after OH had been kicked out after visiting time finished) and told I had 2 options. I could carry on as i was and give it another 4 hours, (bearing in mind i was still contracting like crazy but nothing was happening) before they would start pushing for other options, or I could go straight for an induction.
    I opted for the induction.

It took a further 12 hours on a drip with double contractions (that by that point i could feel) for them to realise that even thoug i dlted to 10 cm (After 12 hours) there was no way Ollie was comng out. they tried forceps and then went for the big c/s.
    It turned out Ollie didnt even get far enough engaged (I was way too small in the pelvic area) to start putting pressure on the cervix...

With my second child I also went into spontaneous labour.
    I had a show at around 1pm, and by the time i had got to the hospital at 3.40pm I was again 3 cm dilated, and again no pain.
    I had already booked for a cs because of the previous birth and complications.
    I thought about asking for a natural birth but the fact i couldnt feel anything terrified me this time.
    I stuck with the cs, but by the time they got me in theatre I was almost fully dilated.. it makes me wonder if i could have done natural or not... I still didnt feel a smidgen of pain...

So anyhoo, after my long ramblings,
    from a 1st time mum to a 1st time mum, try to get the birth you want but dont be upset when your body has different ideas or doesnt let you know what it is doing...
    If you feel you want to refuse an induction (I'd never have one again not that i can because I've been told i physically cant carry anymore but then i did have problems prior to the pregnancies) then do so, but make sure you know the exact results from the monitoring so you feel you have control over your body, and not afloat in a sea of HPs....

BUT - what if your body is like mine? What if you dont feel contractions? (trust me it isnt 'lucky', its terrifying!) at that point you have to go with induction, just to get your body to start reacting to things and start feeling them yourself.
    I'm 100% certain that you will do what is right for both you and your baby. You're his/hers mummy and they are currently talking only to you, so you know what they need and how to make that work with what you want.

xxx
  • I have no experience of this so feel a bit of a fraud replying but I wanted to add to Coco's post. The birth does matter. While all I wanted was healthy boys, there are things I may have done differently, and I still feel a little upset about these now, 9 months later.

Having identical twins, I was given very little option as to what would be done. I WAS going to have them before 37 weeks and I WAS going to have a section. I never saw the same consultant twice (baring in mind I was scanned and seen every 2 weeks from 20 weeks!) and everyone had different ideas. All I can say is THANK GOD for this site. If it wasnt for BE (and TAMBA) I dont think I would even know WHY they were not allowing me an option for delivery as even they didnt seem to know!

Mich was just asking a question, as I did A LOT during my pregnancy, as I found the HCP quite one sided...I didnt have an option, and I wouldnt have known what to ask had it not have been for BE and TAMBA.

I dont regret the decision, and I was VERY lucky. My boys didnt come early, they waited till my section date, at 36+2. I have one regret and that is that I didnt make a fuss about the timing of the section. I was sectioned at 36+2 because 'my consultant only worked on Monday's'! Although we were only in hospital for 10 days and boys were only on NICU for 9 days, I feel that, if I had pushed for delivery later in the 36th week, we may have got away without the horrid tube feeding.

So, ask away. You never know until you ask for others experiences, be they good or bad.

Good Luck whatever happens Mich xxx
  • I hope it's not out of place for me to say the OP has had her baby! (I saw it on the homepage). Congratulations Mich!
  • Yay...thats fab news. Congrats mich xx
  • I've posted on here before because I had a very positve induction experience, and I realise a lot had to do with the fact I had severe SPD and so was totally immobile anyway. I have to admit when I hear about people going into spontaneous labour I am SO jealous! I'd lice to have that feeling of Ooh...this is it...or is it!?? I hope I have this next time, but I will never refuse induction as I am far too scared of things going wrong, but that says more about me than the real risks I suspect.

HUGE congrats to Mich OP - hope you got the birth you wanted, but more importantly, hope you are enjoying your little bundle!
  • Good one ~ Tottie ~ ... did you make it happen ? :lol:
    Im so pleased for you Mich ! Congratulations x
  • sorry my page hadn't update x

[Modified by: mrsjbourne on July 11, 2010 11:18 AM]

• Congrats Mich!!!
  • congratz mich! x
  • lol congrats mich make sure and post yor birth story in baby lol
  • congratulations!