Forum home Babies Baby

Microwaves and formula

Hi,

My lo is formula fed but i don't use microwaves to heat his milk because i read once that it can diminsh the goodness of the milk. Is this true. Can i use a microwave, what does everyone else do, if so for how long on a 6oz bottle?

Thanks
xx

Replies

• Hi
    I use a microwave to heat up my lo's feed I put it in microwave for around 30 sec but the water only then I put the formula in.
  • I do the same. Heat up the water for 30 seconds then add the formula
  • Hey
    I always use the microwave to heat jaimi-lee's bottles, 20 seconds is fine and shake it well after. I make the milk up first, never thought about heating the water up first lol. Its never done her any harm and i know loads of people who have done it.

Sharon x

• its breastmilk you *shouldn't* microwave as it diminishes the quality of it.... (although iv done it myself on occasion so by no means telling people what to do).... as far as im aware it has no effect on formula.
    xx
  • I use the microwave on both my dd and ds. I make up a couple of bottles in advance too, and stick them in the fridge. The length of time in the microwave depends on how cold the water is - also on the power of the microwave. For mine it's usually around 30-35 secs - but I stop every 10 secs to shake and check temperature - Be warned though, make sure you shake the bottle well as those hot spots are nasty!
  • i used to but now i find it easier to fill the bottles up 2oz less than what i need the night before and then when it comes to bottle time i top it up with 2oz boiling water then add the powder x
  • I too use the microwave- like Katie I bought bottle warmer but it was too slow!
    I heat the water then add the formula & shake really, really well image xx
  • it was always said you shouldnt as it can cause hot spots in the milk, but i always used to and just shook it really really well before adding the milk, and never had a problem. My sil makes the water up to half the amount and keeps it in the fridge, then when she wants to use it tops it up with boiling water and adds the milk, which works well xx
  • Thanks everyone, think i might start using the microwave as like Katie i bought a bottle warmer but it takes ages and never seems to heat it the same everytime!
  • I don't use the microwave but do the same as mrsjbourne.

I bought the Tommee Tippee bottle warmer - it's rubbish. My sister has the Avent Express one and it's awesome
  • like most of the others, I also use the microwave for about 30 secs and it's always been fine.
  • I use the microwave in the day (25 sec's for a 7ounce bottle) and at night I take a thermos flask upstairs, and add 3 ounces of hot water to 4 ounces of room temp (already in the bottle) then add the powder. (saves coming back downstairs).

Heating breastmilk was such a faff by comparison!

xx