Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding every two hours???

Hi

Don't know what to do??

Alfie was 5 weeks prem, and struggled to feed at first. I was feeding him, then I was expressing, the we moved onto a mix of formula and my milk. Now that has dried up, he is now on formla.

He is three weeks old.

When he left special care 10 days ago he was on four hourly feeds of 52ml.

He is now taking 100ml and wants feeding every two hours, I am passifying him for an hour to stretch till 3 hours, and my HV just says feed him if he is hungry, but.....

....the problem is he feeds, then wants a cuddle, and wont settle for another hour, that means I am having max of an hour before he starts crying for his next feed.

Last night I only had two hours sleep...... I am dead on my feet, having had a c section as well, it is killing me, getting up and down out of bed ( I am sleeping in a different room from hubby as he has stressful job, and a long drive in so I want him to sleep at night )

Any one any advise?

I can't continue like this.........

Replies

• Options
    I know it sounds hollow right now but hang in there mummy. Sounds like he is increasing his intake to grow. I found my little one was feeding every two hours and was told this and sure enough on her next weigh in she had had a growth spurt. Try and sleep when he does. The lack of sleep always makes things seem so much worse. It will improve xx Have you any female friends or family to help give you a break? xx
  • Options
    Sorry no real advice... all 3 of mine fed every 2 hours until they were a couple of months old (longer in the case of my daughter)... I know its exhausting but it does get better. I agree with smiler1 - sleep when you can - sod the housework and anything else you think you might have to to do.make sure you and your baby come first and except every offer of help that you get. Good luck. Hope it gets better for you soon x
  • Options
    Thanks for replies.....

He has he feed tonight at 6, then again at 8 and hasn't been to sleep yet... he is screaming as we speak..... and he is hungry again...........

I really don't have any close friends that can help ( first one out of my friends to have a baby - despite being 35 )

Just about to make yet another feed, jesus.......
  • Options
    Have you tried a dummy? Honestly, they can be lifesavers! I know some people dont like them but when babies are endlessly needing settling, much better to have a content baby with a dummy then a miserable mum walking up and down for hours trying to settle the baby. It works a treat with my lo, and you can get premmie soothers that are a bit smaller for their little mouths. By the way, 100ml is brilliant, he must be thriving. Cheer up as hard as it is, it will improve soon. Although my baby feeds 3 hourly and sleeps well at night, I do know the feeling of dreading feeds as he is quite a sicky baby, it's worst after a feed and it carries on and on and by the time he's stopped spitting up its time for the next feed! x
  • Options
    I went through exactly the same as you. Kenny was 7 weeks early and I was trying to breast feed him but gave up at 9 weeks because he was constantly attached to my boobs and I was exhausted. When I started giving him formula I gave him what it recommended for his weight on the tin and he was still starving. My HV said to give him as much as he wanted so I increased it from 3 oz to 4oz then quickly had to give him 5oz and we soon got into a 4 hourly routine after that.

I have a leaflet from the Bliss Premature Charity and it states that many premature babies are very hungry babies because they are trying to catch up and often take more than they should for their weight and this was definately the case with Kenny.

I also had to use a dummy (I said I would never use one) but found it really helpful as sometimes he was just comfort feeding. He is nearly 7 months now and hasnt had a dummy for about 2 months and doesnt miss it at all.

Your doing a great job and things will get easier once your both in a routine.
    xxx

• Options
    Hey where do you live? maybe we can come round and make you some tea and help. Years ago women used to have a good neighbour or older ladies in the community to help!! What has happened to that! I helped all my mates when they had their babies and my mum helped me. ( not this time tho cos she passed away 6 years ago and I miss her baby input!) If you were not to far away I would try!! xxx
  • Options
    Mine was the same, 1 hour sleep at a time was all I'd get so I know iits a horrible feeling being so tired and thinking you can't handle it. It does get better though. I tried making him hang on a bit longer to each feed until eventually I managed to stretch it out. Try to have some naps in the day as well and get your other half to help out!
  • Options
    Hey, I'm in a similar situation right now, my baby is 7 weeks old and the last week or so has been feeding roughly every 2 hours. I'm breast feeding him so feels like he's constantly on me. He feeds for about an hour every time (I think he falls asleep during feeds which makes the process last longer as well) but then will most of the time be awake and want to be cuddled afterwards until he then cries to be fed again. So it's a constant thing. Which means during the day i dont really get to nap, as when he does rarely sleep i need to shower or eat or sort the dog out! I'm just lucky that at night I will put him to bed about 11ish and most of the time he won't wake until about 3ish for an hour feed and then sleep until about 7. I think it's helped that the feed before bed I do in the bedroom with very low lighting and I do not interact with him. The same with the middle of the night feed.

I was worried the constant feeding was not normal but seems like a lot of other mums are going through the same thing! Also when I thought about it, if he was eating the same amount as he was a few weeks ago then he would not be putting on weight and he obviously needs to grow so I figure the more he eats the better!

Hope things get better for you!
  • Options

Hi,

I can truly sympathise with you as my son is six months old and feeds every 2-3 hours at night therefore I know how tiring it can be. I've tried to feed him more at a time but he refuses to drink mre than 4-5 ouncez at a time, I give him both breast and bottle.

• Options

Hi,

Dont worry it will get better. Same as you I had a section, and baby feeds every two hours. She is 3 and a half mths old and loves to cuddle too. The first 6 weeks are always rough cuz they are so demanding. I felt like she was always on my breast and I didn't know if I could keep up the exclusive breastfeeding. But 3 mths + and I am.....I started expressing at 3 about 3 weeks and that helped to build my supply so she could get more milk and I could also have bottles on hand so hubby could feed and give me a break. This really helps! You also need to sleep when he sleeps. Sleep beside him. At this stage they need body warmth. I found I got rest that way as I would feed and go back to sleep and so would she.

• Options

hi my baby is 6weeks old today he is feeing every two hours usually 6onzes n sometimes streching to 7 onzces from yesturday,he also crys in his sleep at night roughly every two hours to be fed. 

i am considering giving him cow and gate hungrier baby food suitable from birth however i am not sure. Does any one have any advice i dont want to over feed my baby?

• Options

OMG im 20 week pregnant and this puts fear in me! image i want to breast feed...does that make a diffrence???

• Options

i brest fed my lo but she was always attatched lol i have now moved to formular at 3 weeks she is now 8 weeks and on hungry baby milk as first milk wasnt keeping her settled for long she was having 5oz in one sitting then bitting imbatween if u want to brest feed try your best at least for first few weeks thats when all best stuff is there congrats and good look with your lo xx

• Options

Well assuming that HappyMummy isn't still worrying about this now, after it's been 5 years, I think it would be a safe bet that she still doesn't need help anymore. If you are in a similiar problem and want some help with it, I would suggest that you go and start a new thread for your own benefit.

------------------------------

Rosie

Baby Clothes for Girls

• Options

Hallo to all Mummys

First of  all congrtulations on you all, I am also new to this, my son is almost 4 weeks old now and its a pleasure!!! I read through every single baby forum and comments, searching for answers......... Then for this and then for that.... We all try to be as good as we possibly can for the best interrest of our little ones! Also when I have got time for it.

My little one started off very well on formula milk and we had to change to another and to a nother and then back to the middel formula...which we found was the best........ TRY TO SETTLE THE LITTLE ONE. Now he strated to sleep less and also feeding a little less. He was @ start on 60ml(week1) every 3 hours and then 80ml(week2) then 100ml(week3),now 120ml(going into week4), going back to 80ml-90ml/feeding every 2-2half hours? My question as a DADDY is this okay? His tummy is going fine(Once a day). Also we add "Probiotic`s" as a new, because my wife had a "c" and did not breast fed. Are we still on track?

one worried daddyimage

• Options

I would just stop posting in this thread altogether, if there is a mod out there can close this that would be great. I understand you guys want to keep talking and whatnot, but this thread is over 5 years old. There is no way that HappyMummy is still having any kinds of problems with this.

------------------------------

Rose

http://toptenreview.hubpages.com/hub/Best-and-Top-Rated-Activity-Center-for-Babies-and-Infants-Review