Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

screams during feeding - but wants the food..advice/help?

HI
Not sure where to turn although think i may have to go to the doctors with my son (nearly 6 months) but wondered if anyone had any advice first. He has been on solids (homemade purees of carrot, papaya, sweet pot, banana etc) for about 2-3 weeks. He is a big boy and health visitor has no probs wth me weaning him. SOme days he loves his food and i think this is going well but about 60% of the time he is screaming at his feeds. It's not when he sees the spoon, or even when he tastes the food but seems later into the process. I can't say that he has ever refused anything and even when screaming/crying I offer him more and he takes it greedily. So now I am wondering if he has some sort of reflux/stomach problem. His gran is coeliac, oh is borderline and other nan has acid reflux (i am fine!). He really does scream the house down and looks distraught. Any ideas moms?

Replies

• I had the exact same problem - my baby would just cry and howl (almost 6 months as well) but surprisingly still continue eating! I got some great advice right here and has helped so I'm going to pass it on -
    - Could be gas. Try burping him.
    - He could be tired and cranky, try feeding when he's not.
    - And most like it is that he's simply starving! image I've started giving him a few minutes of a breast feed before his meal - he's much more calm!

Pls try the above, one of them might work....

Good luck!
  • maybe too hot? micowaving leaves hotspots i found that brooke was screaming coz every so often she wud get a hot spot then she wudnt really wanna eat anymore.. i used to just check the 1st few spoonfulls that it were cool enuf.. now i check every1!!! just an idea? xx
  • I agree, I think he's just not getting it down quick enough. Up to now he's always had his grub (i.e.milk!) continously and it suits him fine. He's probably thinking, "why does mummy keep taking my food away just when I've had one yummy mouthful, it's driving me crazy!" :lol: