Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breast or bottle???

hi all

wots best???.... breast or bottle??

ive been breast feeding my lo now for 10 days and am finding it hard, (the pain and discomfort).

i was thinking of giving it up and putting him on formula instead.

i sometimes express and put my breast milk into a bottle to give my boobs a rest so i know hes ok with bottles.

just wanted yr opinions and some advice and wot uve done.

my mw is constantly breast is best and making me feel guilty and my hubby wants me to carry on breast feeding aswell, im abit confused on wot to do, do i keep everyone else happy or myself???

Rachael x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Rachael,
    You need to do what's best for you and your baby.
    I started breastfeeding my first but after a week I gave up because I couldn't do it and he was bottle fed and was really happy.
    Your mw should support you if you want to bottle feed and not make you feel guilty.
    Please do not feel guilty if you decide to bottle feed, the decision is yours.
    Sara. x
  • Options
    i breast fed for 4 days and it was just 2 much wif the pain and constantly wantin fed so i switched 2 bottle after a lot of yap from my mw and its workin out much better. i did feel guilty 4 a few days but now at least im not dreadin feedin time and the formula makes her sleep much better. keep urself happy id say, if ur not happy then ur lo probably wont be either
  • Options
    i breast fed for 4 days and it was just 2 much wif the pain and constantly wantin fed so i switched 2 bottle after a lot of yap from my mw and its workin out much better. i did feel guilty 4 a few days but now at least im not dreadin feedin time and the formula makes her sleep much better. keep urself happy id say, if ur not happy then ur lo probably wont be either
  • Options
    Hi

I breastfeed but I think you should do what makes you and baby happiest.
    I struggled so much for the first 3 weeks, thinking back I don't know what made continue with it, but then it all of a sudden clicked. Like you, I expressed to give my sore nipples a break and LO took a bottle really well.

The breast tissue just isn't used to taking such a beating and it takes a while to toughen up. Its also worth bearing in mind that it takes a while for baby to learn how to feed from you properly, as he learns to latch & suck it will become more comfortable.
    My LO is now 10 weeks old and I literally just shove my boob in his general direction and he sorts himself out.

At the moment breastfeeding suits both of us but I take each day at a time. I'm aiming to bf up until LO is 17 weeks and starting on solids, after that I'll wean him from breastmilk onto formula so by Xmas he'll purely be on formula & solids and I can have a drink and get a babysitter!

If you feel the pain & discomfort is preventing you from bonding properly with baby then go for the switch. Formula doesn't harm babies, plenty of babies are formula fed and thriving.

Good luck and do whats best for you x

• Options
    I'm still breastfeeding 6 weeks in now and I have found it the hardest thing I have ever had to do, the pain and discomfort was worse than labour but it is getting easier and I'm pleased Ive stuck with it. I go to a breatfeeding support group every Monday and it has really helped me talk to others in the same position and theres a bf councillor there. Is there a group near you?
  • Options
    hi munchkin, you need to do whatever feels right for you, it is your body and your baby, maybe you could compromise and try mixed feeding for a while, dont let anyone make you feel guilty, at the end of the day all that matters is that you and your lo are happy with whatever decision you make.
  • Options
    The first 4-6 weeks are hard for everyone, and most people give up - I did with my first and really regretted it, as I found bottle feeding much more of a hassle and cost loads.

This time I plan to persevere longer, as I know it will get easier it's just a case of sticking at it. It's up to you what you do, but remember it's hard for everyone and unless you aren't actually producing milk there's no reason why it won't get better - your boobs will be sore for a while until your supply is established and your nipples get used to being sucked several times a day lol!

Hope you find a solution that works for you x
  • Options
    i agree hun that u shoul do wats best for u.
    i bf for 11m and found the 1st few wks hard, i was tempted to give up almost daily. i stuck with it and it did get much easier, like brodiesmum i didnt fany having to make up bottles or heat em through the night. ur mw shouldnt be making u feel guilty hun she should be supportive, i also go to a bf drop in every wk, if u got 1 nr u its well worth checking out, i found talking to mums in the same situation better than mw/hv as their advise wasnt so text book.
    id also recommend lansinoh nipple cream (lifesaver)

good luck hun watever u decide to do ur baby will not suffer. xx
  • Options
    ive been breast feeding my lo now for 10 days and am finding it hard, (the pain and discomfort).
    i was thinking of giving it up and putting him on formula instead.
    i sometimes express and put my breast milk into a bottle to give my boobs a rest so i know hes ok with bottles.
    just wanted yr opinions and some advice and wot uve done.
    my mw is constantly breast is best and making me feel guilty and my hubby wants me to carry on breast feeding aswell, im abit confused on wot to do, do i keep everyone else happy or myself???

oh it is hard to start with, i remember crying when i put my first to the breast coz it hurt so much, i did stick with it though i it gets a lot easier (don't know if those nipple creams work?!) if you decide its best for you and l/o to switch don't feel bad they is absolutly nothing wrong with formula and no-one should make you feel guilty (i was just too lazy to make up bottles!!) b/f is not for everyone
    i had the opposite problem with my o/h he didn't want me to b/f and it's really doesn't help when they aren't supporting you! good luck with whatever you decide x.
  • Options
    thanx everyone i feel alot better now and not so guilty for wanting to give up.
    me and my hubby hve had a gd chat about it and now he sees it from my point of view and is ok with it if i give it up.
    so im going to have a real good think about it and decide,
    but thanx 4 the advice and yr experiences.
    Rachael xx