Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sudden change in sleeping habits, help!

Hi All

I'm after a bit of advice...
My LO is 14 weeks old, he has always been quite a good sleeper. He still wakes for an early morning feed (about 6am) but otherwise goes down without a peep between the hours of 9pm and 8:30am.

For the last two nights he has been really disturbed, waking 3-4 times, and unable to settle himself. I let him grizzle in his cot in the hope that he'd tire himself out but the noise escalated to a full-blown cry. I tried standing over his cot and stroking his face and holding his hand - didn't work. I weakened and popped his dummy in - didn't work. I tried picking him up and rocking him - didn't work. The only way I can get him back to sleep is breastfeeding him. I know that my behaviour is only re-inforcing his behaviour but I don't know hat else to do.

In my opinion he's too young to start controlled crying. Any other suggestions?
Is it just something that babies go through at this age?

Any help/advice is gratefully received

Thanks x

Replies

• hi ya i had a really bad problem with my lo it carried on for 4 weeks with him waking 4/5 times a nite and like you i could only settle him by bf but now he seems to have settled back to waking just 1 at about 1230 and then getting up at 7am but we do have the odd nite where he is unsettled could b down to a cold or even being cold have you got a sleep bag for lo as this helped us
  • Hi Sarah

Thanks for the support.
    He sleeps in a sleeping-bag. We also have a set bedtime routine which has been in place for weeks so its not that he's unsure about what to do at night.

I just hope its a little blip which will correct itself
  • it might jsut be a growth spurt. i'm sure it wont' last. Even now (and my daughter is 14 months) I have the odd night when I'm up a few times and have to give her a bottle. It's jsut part and parcel of motherhood sadly. But this wont' turn into habit I'm sure. and if it does then you may have to resort to a few nights of ignoring him... hard as it is!