Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sorry...me again :roll: ...but which is the best??

Sorry, i'm really hammering this site today but i'm at the end of my tether today :roll:

You might have seen my other post about the milk and the bottles. Well i'm just wondering if anyone thinks i should change his milk cos half way thru the feed his milk stops coming out. He is on cow and gate comfprt cos he had a funny tummy when he was little. he is on stage 3 teats so i cant get faster ones and i just dont know what is going on. i have tried everything and he is getting so frustrated with them.

so...i am just wondering which milks you think are best? and if you think its worth me changing his milk.

Thank you guys so much!!! xxx

Replies

• Hi have you tried the variflo(sp) teats tommee tippee ones they have just bought them out you can get them from boots.hope this helps.
    Lin
  • hi there,
    my LO was on comfort a little while back and after lots of attempts i personally found that with the thick comfort milk and CTN bottles i'd put a third of the water ish in first then the powder and then the rest of boiled water that i'd left to cool for about 20mins then a bloody good shake and fed with the variflow teats (theres a x instead of 1 hole) i'd also shake the bottle 1 or 2 times during the feed! when he's hungry he can do a 7oz bottle in about 3 minutes!

hope this can help you

if your curious aptimil also do a sensitive tummy formula too! it was my hv that recomended the c&g comfort but the pharmasist who told me if he didnt get on with that one try the aptimil one!
  • also i know this is not nesserialy the correct thing to do but i was recomended by my very wonderful and helpful hv also to try was an extra 1/2 once of water so it's still the same amount of formula but a incy bit thinner!

let me know how you get on as i'm really curious if it was just me or this does actually work

kim

[Modified by: Kimw08 on April 28, 2008 11:59 AM]
  • thanks girls

kimw08...i've just ordered some vari flow teats for my bottles cos i dont wanna buy new bottles. they will probably come tomoro or wednesday so i'll have to plod on until then. I will try putting half the water then the powder then the rest of the milk. My LO will also drink 7oz when he is hungry but he is just getting so frustrated at the mo. poor little thing.

I'll let you know xxx
  • i'll keep an eye out for your response, good luck
  • NOTHING WORKS :cry::cry::cry:

I've tried both things you said and he is so struggling. he usually gets 3oz out fine then he cant get anymore.

I've been on an hour and hes only had 2oz. i just dont know what to do. i am close to tears cos i cant do anything for him.

Help!!
  • Poor You!

My LO has been on Tommee Tippee Variflow teats since he was 6 weeks (16 weeks old now) He is also SMA Staydown and a dual sachet of Gaviscon for his reflux in each bottle and manages to down 8oz in a matter of minutes - he must have super sucking ability cos it's like a mega thick milkshake with the Gaviscon in !!

Hope you get it sorted soon

Mandy x
  • OMG!!!

I rang Cow and Gate and told them what was happening and they think something migh be wrong with the formula! I have to send it off to them to be tested! I cant believe it!

So i am going to buy a tub of normal cow and gate and still use the gaviscon and see how i go with that.

I just cant beilieve it. xxx
  • You must be tearing your hair out honey. All the best with the new tub

Denise xx
  • so far so good.

we went onto cow and gate cos on normal formula his sick was like cottage cheese. he just drank 8oz of the cow and gate hungrier baby milk and is so happy!! he had a little bit sick...like cottage cheese but nothing horrible like before! Bless him. Wot a day i've had...nightmare!! xxx
  • Glad he's better! Gracie's milk sometimes clogs in the end of the teat and i have to give it a good suck lol to get it flowing again.
    Just a quick Q - Mandy123 or anyone else, do you use gaviscon with the thicker milks cos I was told not to?
    At paed again tom re the reflux so just want to know what others do! Cheers x
  • I used it with comfort cos the doctor told me to.

Matthew has just drank 10oz! I cant believe it. he drank 8oz at 5.15. little guzzler

his sick is back to cottage cheese. is this normal? and should he be drinking that much??? xx
  • Sick can be any form the doc said, watery, runny, cottage cheesy, just depends on how it's digested b4 it comes back up. My fave is the orange variety now Gracies' on carrots and sweet pots for tea!
    I'l mention having gav with thickening milks tom at the paed. I'm sick of sick! Really don't want her to have the probe in her tummy for 24hours so will try anything but image
  • Hi

I originally put Hayden back on SMA Gold when he started taking Gaviscon 3 times a day but was still quite sickly with the bottles that had Gaviscon in and very sick with the bottles that didnt have Gaviscon

Doc suggested I put him back on SMA Staydown with the Gaviscon and when we saw Paed on the 17th, he suggested staying on the Staydown with Gaviscon in each feed

(he did mention that there was other medication that could be given, but as Hayden was not in any discomfort (apart from puking which he just laughs at lol) he was happy for him to keep on the Staydown and Gaviscon

Unfortunately this still hasnt stopped his gagging incidents which still scare me - Doc has asked if I have considered weaning early (seeing as he is a big lad (17lb 8oz two weeks ago and having 5 x 8oz bottles in 24 hour period)

Will wait for week 17 and may try him on baby rice, though I've heard weaning is not necessarily the answer to refluxy babies

ALIOLI - you appear to be the Reflux Guru so any advice you can pass on??

Mandy x
  • I'm sick now.

The cow and gate hungrier baby wont satisfy him and he was waking in the night and having 9oz.and puking so i've put him back on the comfort and i'm gonna give him the gaviscon with water cos i think that is making the milk even thicker. If this doesnt work i really dont know! i'm at the end of my tether. any one have any other suggestions? xxx
  • Hi there,
    Just had a quick look at your problem. My son is a refluxy baby - projectile vomiting from an early age - oh the joy! I tried him on different formulas including Cow and Gate, which unfortunately gave him really runny poos. I was recommended Aptamil as it is apparently one of the better ones for reflux babies and I have been using that, along with a dual sachet of gaviscon for nearly 8 weeks now. He is not on the comfort version of Aptamil just the regular Aptamil 1 and that seems to have worked a treat. He is still a bit sickly during some feeds but with no pain and not half as much sick as before. My doctor told me that it can take up to a week for a baby to fully adjust to a new formula so that might be why your little one was struggling with the hungrier formula. My sister put her little one on Aptamil 2 for hungrier babies but it gave him constipation. I think it is just a matter of trial and error.
    Hope you are feeling too gloomy - it is very frustrating. To top it off my Ben is not feeding well at the mo due to teething issues so if its not one thing, its another! x
  • Hi Heather,
    Have you considered SMA Staydown?
    When little Matthew is sick, is he sick loads? Ruby is, it goes all over me, all over her and all over the carpet too! She's also really uncomfortable all the time and screams for ages in the evenings, which at first I thought was colic. They now think she might be allergic to lactose. Is Matthew like this or is it just normal baby sick but like cottage cheese?!

Amy xx
  • Hi hunni

How are u???? Sorry to hear little one is not a happy one when comes to drinking milk, Keira used to be like that until we change her milk to Farely and she settled really well with it and she use gavison as well and we change her teats to number 3 with no problems but the only problem we have is we have to hold her to get her going at the first time as she screams before the bottle goes anywhere near her but once she starts drinking shes ok!!! strange i know but the doctor said its the wind thats making her discomfort and painful

but shes putting on weight nicely and i am getting her weighted on thursday so i see if she puts on any more

What did the cow and gate say about the milk that u have send them???

have they contacted u yet?

hope ur well take care and hopefully everything will settle soon

Cheriste xxxxxxxxxx
  • Hi...he's ok on the cow and gate comfort, i just cant mix the gaviscon with it cos its too thick and he cant get it out the bottle. So i've decided to give him the gaviscon after his bottle in a syringe. He hates it! he screams and splutters everywhere but there is nothing else i can do. I'll stick to the milk tho cos he is just a little bit sick on it. its like cottage cheese dribbles. Nothing like projectile!

Cheriste...cow and gate just asked me to send my tub off to them to test it and they will get back to me with ther're findings. i've just posted it off today so hopefully it wont be too long. but i now think the problem was putting the gaviscon in it cos that makes the milk twice as think and its thick milk to start with.

Does anyone know of any other reflux medicine i could ask the doctor about???

God this is all jaberish! am i confusing you cos i've confused myself. lol
    xx