Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Teething - oh god please help!

Toby is six months old today and i am so lucky that i have a darling little boy - he never cries - sleeps through the night (most of the time) etc etc.

You can see that there is something going to happen but today had been horrendous and i really dont know what to do.

I wanted to resist calpol until it got really bad but i dont know what really bad is - is this it??

I also have the teething powder but how the hell do you put it on their tongues

i have never used baby nurofen - is this a good option can you use it with bonjela and calpol - what other remedies are there and how should i use them -

also can you put calpol in their bottles - i just have with toby as i didnt know what else to do and he was hysterical -

please help x

Replies

• Options
    Oh I know exactly what you're going through! Sara is exactly the same at the moment, she's just beside herself with it.

The teething powder is great, I usually wait until she's having a paddy and then just tip it into her mouth, its sweet and it stops her in her tracks!

I have been giving calpol last thing before bed as she sleeps better with a bit of paracetamol onboard...when they're obviously in pain I can't see why you wouldn't give it, give the amount on the bottle. Kiddy neurofen is also great, you can take this as aswell as calpol if things get bad, occaisionally i've staggered them, calpol then neurofen etc - just remember neurofen is longer between doses. I can't see why you can't put them in their bottles, I haven't before but it all goes down the same way.

My MIL said to give Sara a large carrot stick out of the fridge, she's never going to eat it but yet its cool on the gums and quite firm to good to bite on, disposable teether! Bonjela gel is good but only lasts an hour or so IMO, not sure how often you can use it...and it only works on the bit you apply it to and I'm not sure where Sara's sore.

I would say if he's upset and not his usual self, don't be worried about giving medicine, its not like you give it everyday! Hope it passes soon

Liz xxx
  • Options
    I was the same as you Summer but after much persuasion from my hubby and after reading tonnes on the matter in all the baby bibles (!) I gave in and have started to give Ollie both Neurofen and Paracetomol when he's having a bad day and it does really make a difference. Really, if we are ill or in pain we would take something so why not help the bubbas when they need it too?! xxx
  • Options
    I think James is teething, or at least they're definitely moving about!

A friend said to me today years ago they used to freeze a piece of cucumber, that's also a great teether!

You can give Calpol, and Calprofen, as well as teething powders and gel. Boots do a pain relief powder, the Ashton and Parsons are for the dicky tummy some babies get. Apparently Bonjela can cause fizzing on the tongue (BIJ mummy, thanks), so I use Dentinox.

Hope Toby is more comfortable soon hun. xx
  • Options
    Hey hun we have been having a nightmare teething with Olivia and we have used everything possible! The best things are Neurofen and Anbesol liquid. Bonjella and teething powder does nothing at all for Olivia. We also have a teething blanket which is great and also a teething sock so you can put food and ice cubes etc... we have given Olivia it with frozen watermelon so she can suck and bite down and it really cools down her gums.
  • Options
    what's anbesol rosapenny?
  • Options
    teethers out of the fridge help us, and also slices of cucumber from the fridge for them to suck x
  • Options
    We're using Teetha granules, Calpol and Freddie's favourite - ice cold apple or melon from the fridge in a Munchkin fresh food feeder (from Asda)

We use a syringe to give Freddie calpol as he won't take it off a spoon although he will take Teetha granules of a spoon!

• Options
    Hey Hun, I'm totally the same right now it's a total nightmare! I wouldn't put it in his bottle because of he doesn't drain it you won't begiving the right dose. I put it in a syringe and feed him bit by bit and after putting it in shove his dummy in so he can't spit it out (sneaky mummy!) I've also just tipped him back and put the powders on his tongue and he loves it.

My mums friend swears by biccistix - you can get them on kiddicare and jn boots. It's organic biscuits or something suitable for teething hth x
  • Options
    Its a liquid although it does come in a gel form as well but I think thats adults only, the liquid you can get from most chemists, I got ours from a local and from boots, you just put a little on your finger and rub it over the wee gums and it makes such a difference, I have used it myself when I was cutting my wisdom teeth. It has a cooling effect but it does numb everything its great!
  • Options
    I'm another Anbesol fan! I find it really numbs the gums (I suffer with wisdom teeth too) and it's easier to apply than the gels.
    Summer, Tilly had a really bad day yesterday and was screaming for about an hour, I was in tears myself by the time I gave her some Calpol and within 10 mins she was like a different baby! I'm not afraid to use it again if she gets like that again as it obviously helps

xxx
  • Options
    thank you so much ladies - toby calmed down after about 1.5 hours and was fine after that - though a little grouchy - he really enjoyed his half birthday party so calpol did the trick - i have him some this morning as i am now not going to worry about it and i will also raid the chemists for all the other concoctions.

Anbesol - i cant find one for children ion the internet - where do you get it from

and teethinggranules???
  • Options
    thanks cornetto - i am off the boots now - swimming sounds like fun! x
  • Options
    Use the calpol... you dont want your baby in pain hun. I know i was the same and felt weary giving my little one any type of medicine but its perfectly safe to use!

Teething powders are great, does he have a dummy? If so wet the dummy then dab it into the powder then pop in his mouth image

32+2 with no2! xx
  • Options
    Def use Calpol/Calprofen. My OH really doesn't like us using it but I would hate for my little princess to be in pain and us not doing anything about it. If I am in pain I take something so why shouldn't she.

I try to only use them at night but will use them during the day if I have tried Anbesol and Teetha granules and she is still really upset.

• Options
    Didn't realise babies could have anbesol, but very glad to read they can. I used to suffer really badly with mouth ulcers and it always did the trick withough stinging so will definitely be trying it out with LO.
  • Options
    i find the aston and parsons powders brilliant with bonjella alongside. like mybutler said, wait until they cry and tip the powder onto their tongue!

i found giving phoebe a rusk helps with her teeth and distracts her from the pain! she is 6months too and every morning i check her gums for teeth! lol
  • Options

I am using anbesol liquid and calpol when my sons teething is really bad. Wud i be able to try him on the teetha teething granuales also?