Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone LOs not interested in weaning at first???

Started weaning luke (almost 6months now) a week ago, we started with weetabix (on advice of doc after constipation) and he seemed to really enjoy it and took to it lovely...that was for two days only. every other day he hasnt been interested at all, he has a funny grimace n doesnt want to open his mouth, i have to trick him by making him laugh (awful mummy i know, feel terrible tricking him!!!). we've tried porridge, sweet potato and then tried weetabix again to see if it was that he didnt like the other stuff, but he wasnt interested in the weetabix either...so that was obviously a fluke!!!

ive tried giving him it before a bottle and in between bottles but still not interested. i know we have only been trying a week but just wanted to know if theres hope...did any of ur LOs not seem interested at first????

Replies

• Abby took to weaning really well, so we never had this - but just perserver with it - it is a strange sensation at first, so it takes them a while tog et used to it. Just keep relaxed yourself - as if you stress about it, he will panic!

Have you ttried finger foods? Or letting him feed himself (messilly) with a spoon or his fingers? Maybe if he has control over it he might prefer it?

Or you could try putting a little bit on his lips and letting him lick it off while he gets used to it,

Sorry I can't be more help. Hopefully one of the other girls will have better tips.

Nx
  • I weaned my lo at 6 months and we struggled at first, he had just gone past the pur????e stage and wanted 'real' food, he loved finger foods straightaway so we binned the mush and stared giving him steamed broccoli,carrot,breadsticks etc, so give that ago. The only way he'll eat off a spoon is if I give him a small toy to keep him occupied!

Whatever you do,don't stress about it-keep meal times fun and relaxed, your lo won't starve and he will eat when he's ready, it just takes time xx
  • I had a similar thing with my lo - on the HV's advice I tried him first with baby rice, and he simply was having none of it. He also didn't like pureed fruit or veg - but I perservered and eventually I found that he did like rusks mushed up with a bit of breastmilk (you can also use formula). I wasn't too keen on him having too many rusks as I heard it can develop a sweet tooth, but it got him eating - and he hasn't looked back, and once he was eating he hasn't had a rusk since.

This was about four weeks ago - and now he's on 3 meals a day and he'll eat anything you put in front of him. I also give him a spoon for him to hold himself, and every now and then he tries to dip it in and feed himself - which he loves to do (doesn't get that much in yet though).

Good luck with it - I'm sure your lo will be loving food soon xxx
  • Hiya,

We're having exactly the same thing! Sometimes he eats like we've been starving him and other times he just refuses point blank and has a hissy fit with exactly the same foods. We've been going for about 2 and a half weeks now and we're slowly beginning to get more good feeds than bad (though today has been a nightmare) so I guess it's just a case of perseverance.

Hope it gets better for you soon x