Forum home Babies Baby

weaningtimes & bottle times

hi moms, another weaning worry i have, does anyone know what time i should be giving solids, should it be before bottle feed, halfway through or at the end or half an hour after/ etc etc, just constantly worrying am i doing this right, don,t want to overfeed little one, and should i do it three times a day twice? thanks for any advice xxx

Replies

• hiya mom,i always gave mine their solids before a bottle and with both mine it worked ok and they soon got into it.best thing to do is go with your own instinct.start off doing it once a day then gradually build up,you will know yourself as and when.hope this helps.nicola.x
  • hi nicloa thanks for reply, i will try before bottle i think, is little one still supposed to have all his bottle straight after? just frightened of over feeding him, with the solids & him not having all the goodness he should be getting if he gets too full on the solids, thanks xx
  • My HV said at first to give solids at a time when it isn't a meal time, so they think of food as an interesting game, rather than a meal. This worked OK for the first few days until my daughter cottoned on that food filled her up and was good! The HV also suggested then to give some milk then food then to finish the milk, but my daughter see's food and refuses her milk until she has finished! Basically, try different ways with your little one, and do what works best for both of you, there are no hard and fast rules. Good Luck!
  • - Also, something that worked for us, My daughter wasn't keen on just the veg puree at first, so I mixed half a teaspoon of puree with 1 tsp of rice until she got used to a new flavour and then upped the quantity of puree until she was just eating that.
  • hiya! has anyone got any advice for me? my son is 14weeks old and hes on hungry babies milk and hes feedin every 2 hours in the day and goin maybe 3 hours now through the night! he used to sleep through but doewnt anymore! hes a very big baby, was 10lb 6 at birth and is now 19lb at 14weeks! so big boy? do you think i should strt weaning him yet? x
  • I know they have changed the age now and reccomend that you introduce solids at 6 mths but I would say 4 months is perfectly fine they used wean babies from 3 months years ago...they change it all the time. Its not going to hurt him and he obviously needs more as milk isnt satisfying him as it used to you should do what you think.
    Your health visitor may try to put you off feeding him solids if you ask their advice...But I would say the final decision is up to you!