Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dry flaky skin...

My girls are 2wks old and have this on there wrists and legs...

Any tips or suggestions pls...?

We are trying olive oil at the mo! x

Replies

• Hey,
    I used to use either a smidge of vaseline jelly or a drop of baby oil, I also used the baby oil actually in the bath water too...careful though they get very slippery lol!!!

My youngest dd now has aquabalm from the doctors for her constant dry skin.

Maybe you could ask your midwife/healthvisitor next time you see them, they might have other ideas xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Vaseline was good for this when Gabe was newborn. I think most newborns have dry skin! I would also avoid bathing them too often, twice a week is more than enough with top n tail every day, this will stop their skin drying out xx
  • Hello, it's apparently very common with newborn. My daughter hadthe same when she was 1-2 weeks old. I bath her every evening with some baby oil added to the water. Now she's just over 4 weeks and her skin is normal. Don't worry, your girls' skin will get better in a week or so.
    Best wishes xxx
  • Try baby oil as suggested. If it doesnt clear speak with your HV. Took me a while but I finally got my HV to prescribe aqueus cream, which worked a treat (you can also buy this over the counter at most pharmacys).
  • We got some stuff off the hv to add to camerons bath, he had little flakes of skin peeling off his ankles and wrists and some other patches. was called hydromol bath emollient was basically oily like baby oil, just needed a cap in his bath water every night...worked a treat! x
  • Thanks ladies! x
  • Aqueus Cream is really good, Grace had this when she was newborn and it cleared the dry skin up almost straight away!!!
    Congrats on your twins too!!!
    xxx
  • we were prescribed aqueous cream, you cannot use vaseline on newborn skin as it's petrolium (sp?)...my HV nearly died when i asked her if i could use it!! x
  • The doc gave me E45 for lillians flaky skin and it has worked quite well you can use it on newborns so it is safe x
  • we were prescribed aqueous cream, you cannot use vaseline on newborn skin as it's petrolium (sp?)...my HV nearly died when i asked her if i could use it!! x

I was told by my doctor at the 6week check that its fine to use a dab of vaseline jelly..............oooh someones been telling porkies. Now I will wonder wether its right or not.
  • Hi, I have an unborn baby. Yeah, she's still in my tummy. So, I do not know that my advice is applicable for babies. But base on my experience, I rubbed sesame oil and almond oil every night; taking a bath with milk and yoghurt once in awhile could get rid the flaky skin. I hope this will help, it's really effective and I also maintain phytoceramides supplement to restore my skin within.