Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

is she going to be like this till all her teeth are through?

Pippa has been teething since she was 8 weeks old, and she's just getting worst. Today she's spent two hours screaming, i've tried calpol, teething gel, those teething powders, chiled teething rings and nothing helps. She's not had her afternoon nap cause she was crying so much and you can tell she's so tired. she not having her feeds properly either, she's only taking about 4oz instead of 6, any suggestions??
I'm finding it really hard at the moment because i can't do anything for her
xxx

Replies

• oh hunny that sound awful! I have no advice at all, but I hope she feels better soon. I have heard that it is worse when the tooth is about to break through - so hopefully it will be over soon (until the next one anyway!).

hugs hun.
    xx
  • I doubt she'll be like that till they all come through. Gabe cut his first tooth at 7 months; since then they have come thick & fast and now at 14 months he has 12 teeth. He's been on and off with them, but never too bad, he was worst with the first 4 as they seemed to accompany the winter colds. Fine with all the rest, including his first 2 first molars. These last 2 first molars he has been a pest with but more in a dribbly, whiny way then a screamy way. He has never really been bothered by teething. I think the first few tend to bother babies the most, and the molars and canines, but these come up slower, so it's more of a drawn out process. To be honest for 2 hours non stop screaming at her age I might be tempted to take her to the doctors to see if teething really is the cause and it is not something underlying like an ear infection. Even if she is teething it won't hurt to take her, cos teeth + illnesses seem to come hand in hand. Hope she feels better soon. I find Nurofen (3 months+) is a better pain reliever than calpol, I used to use medised for Gabe when he was really ill but its off the market for under 2s now, booo. The Ashton & Parsons powders are OK but they don't work for very long. I have heard giving them something frozen to chew on (a mini milk....Lol...maybe a bit sugary for Pippa as she's still small....frozen banana, or even frozen ice cubes - in a mesh feeder so she can't choke.)
  • Hi all

This is my first baby.... how do you tell if they are teething or if it is something else? My HV said that they cut teeth around six motnhs but can start teeting at 12 weeks... so what are the symptons? I don't want to start giving her teething meds for wind for example!! help!!/
  • Thanks for the advice ladies, i gave her another dose of calpol and put her dentinox on regulaly and she eventually calmed down just as dh walked. He said she's not that bad, i was so close to taking the frying pan to his head :lol: She's now fast asleep, i think it's because it's not her front teeth that are coming through that it's causing her so much pain. It's one on the bottom half way back that's coming through. I'm sure it's teething she's drooling everywhere, red cheeks, chewing on her hands and whenshe's not screaming just grouchy.
    xx
  • The molars won't come through till 10 months at the earliest really, most babies get the front bottom first but some get the front top. Of course all lo's are different though, but its normal for the space in the gums at the back to be hard and white, well before the molars come thru. What may be hurting her is that they are starting to move under the gums!...ready for coming through later.