Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Only breasfeeding morning and evening - so worried

All of a sudden over the past two days, Ruby has been refusing the breast ALL day, having just a feed at 7am and then at bedtime.
She is having 3 solid meals a day but will not feed off me. She strains away or grabs my nipple.

Today i tried her with some formula in a bottle and a cup and she is just not interested. She won't take expressed milk either.

I am so worried. :cry:

Last night she woke more to feed and took three breastfeeds at 11pm, 3am and 5am (usually just one around 2am)

So, how come she wants it at night but not in the day? :\?

She is now 6 and a half months old.

Do they reduce their intake at this age?

Any tips/suggestions/experiences?

Thank you as always. xx

Replies

• They do reduce there intake once they are established on 3 meals a day - make sure you add milk to all of her food, it could just be a phase she is going through at the moment, I would keep offering her both breast and bottle maybe she is just adjusting - I know its hard with her waking so much in the night but she could be teething or anything aswell. Is she having breast or formula in the night? if breast maybe its not filling her up enough and you could try a bottle but express some for her food if you intend to keep bf.
    sorry if not to much help!
  • They do reduce there intake once they are established on 3 meals a day - make sure you add milk to all of her food, it could just be a phase she is going through at the moment, I would keep offering her both breast and bottle maybe she is just adjusting - I know its hard with her waking so much in the night but she could be teething or anything aswell. Is she having breast or formula in the night? if breast maybe its not filling her up enough and you could try a bottle but express some for her food if you intend to keep bf.
    sorry if not to much help!
  • hi hun, if she has 3 meals i wouldnt worry too much los do drop feeds as they eat more but it varies from baby to baby. chances are she is getting loads at her am/pm bf. just give extra dairy if ur worried like cheese sauce, yogs etc
    evie is 9m and has am bf and pm bf then may just pop on boob in day sometimes for comfort. xx
  • hi there i too have been worried about grace as shes dropping her bedtime feed and only having morning,been thinking about introducing formula for before bed so shes still used 2 having a drink b4 bed for when we move onto cows milk.Grace is older than your lo shes almost 9 mths and i am also pregnant so have heard this can affect the taste of milk.I remember when grace was eating more solids she cut down her feeds quickly,they do like to worry us dnt they! my hv told me not to worry as long as she has plenty of calcium in her diet xxx
  • OK thanks girls. xx