Forum home Babies Baby

WHEN TO STOP STERILISING??

WHEN DID EVERYONE STOP OR INTEND TO STOP STERILISING?

Replies

• i never pay any attention to hv anyway, they follow government guidelines not the babies requirements. this is my 3rd but i just cant remember when i stopped.

:lol::lol:
  • As a first time mum...i stopped sterilizing at 12mnths you can never be to carefull.x
  • Im not planning on stopping till Holly is a a year because it kills bacteria from milk. Im not to worried about her picking up germs from crawling ect in fact I think its good that she does but I personally want to be careful with germs from milk xxx
  • Mine have all been about 6-7 months. By then, everything is going in their mouths etc and they are starting to eat proper foods etc, inc things like cereals with milk - the bowl and spoon don't go in the sterilizer, they just go thru the dishwasher like everything else.

But, each to their own, if it's what you feel comfortable with then who are we to judge image (sorry, had bad day and with so many touchy posts etc on here lately I'm taking a non-judgemental approach lol)
  • Ill carry on sterilising bottles until my lo is on cows milk so probably about 11-12 months, lke hollysmummy said, i worry most about milk bacteria rather then anything else, and it is better to be safe and sorry. After all, doesnt exactly take long to stick a few bottles in the steriliser! x
  • Hi,
    I sterilised my son's bottles until he was 12 months, as he was on formula until then, which can breed dangerous bacteria. I never sterilised any other feeding equipment though, spoons etc, as he was getting normal germs from crawling around etc.
  • I started weaning Holly when she was 4 months and never sterilised any spoons bowls ect as I didnt see the point, surely for that to work EVERYTHING would have to be sterile? The pots, pans utensils used the ice cube trays ect? Where as with bottles there are more places for bacteria to breed. I am by no means a mum who tried to keep Holly away from germs as I think it does them good to be exposed a bit but at the same time I dont want her getting ill because I didnt sterilise a bottle xxx
  • all my bottles go through the dishwasher so i know every crevice is cleaned and even though i use a steam steriliser daily i make up a big batch of cold water sterilising solution once a month to remove discolouration from the bottles and teats.

dont mean to be rude but a few of you state that its because of milk bacteria, may i point out to you that there is more bacteria and nasties in cows milk than in formula, and even more in yoghurts, even baby yoghurts.

the steriliser is bulky and takes up quite a bit of work space, and i dont have much to spare, i have never sterilised weaning equipment and he had his first solids at 12 weeks old.

i think i stopped sterilising my daughters at around 6 months as she was on 3 full meals a day and only had 2 bottles, my other sons i did for longer as he is lactose intolerant so im guessing he was about 1.
  • I know someone who stopped sterilising bottles at about 6 months with her daughter and and she was very ill for a long time and one day she had a feeling it was to do with not sterilising so she started up again and she went to her normal self..now you may say thats coincidence but we both believe it was to do with no sterlising. I dont see the harm in sterilising, its not like it takes a long time to do so!

Plus I think its to do with your babies body too, some babies can hack it and some cant! I personally wouldnt want to take the chance on this one.
  • i will continue to steralise whilst he is still having bottles as when my daughter was about 11 months she ended up in hospital with the symptoms of pnumonia struggling to breath and a massive high temprature projectile vomating and the runs, turned out to be a very bad virus that the doc belived came from her bottles not being clean enough i felt terrible as i belived they were spotless, the doc said u can never b too carefull so this time i will continue whilst fin has bottles
  • i think its like sammy said, some babies can hack it and some cant, i have 2 friends each on a different scale, one never sterlised anything, not even when her daughter was newborn and she is now 8 and she is rarely ill, even when all the bugs do the rounds at school she never seems to get them. then i have another friend who sterilised up until her lo was 18 months old and that child is always ill since she stopped sterilising, i think you can be too careful too, germs are what builds up a babies immune system. i remember my mum telling with my daughter to wean her off sterilised items rather than stop sterilising everything in one go just stop sterilising one bit at a time to give the immune system a chance to adjust.

i might just stop sterilising the bottles a bit at a time, i will continue to sterilise teats but stop the bottles and see how he gets on.
  • i must say i only do his bottles not dummies unless its there
  • I breast fed but my daughter had bottles of expressed breast milk until a year so I sterilised those bottles until 1 year (would've sterilised them for longer if I'd have used them for longer). Did sterilise anything else as we started weaning at 6 months & you don't need to sterilise anything but bottles for milk after 6 months.

• my daughter is 8 months and i intend to sterilise till 2 years. i am using chicco sterinatural digital steam sterilizer to sterilise each and everything from soothers, teats to feeding bottles.It was recommended to me by my doctor and it's working well and upto my expectations. the best part is that it does this fast sterlization in just 5 mins and also keeps the feeding bottle disinfected for 24 hrs.

• I've not seen good evidence that sterilising is necessary in this country unless there is a clinical or immunological problem with the infant - modern myth.