Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Heritage foods

2»

Replies

• Options
    Lovely thread!

From my mum-apple pie with apples picked from the back garden. She's taught me how to make the pastry (it's warm water pastry-super easy!)

From my dad-'bean slop'. Sounds awful but was always my favourite-it's different cured sausages, mixed beans, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms served with pasta.

My nana's cooking holds the fondest memories for me especially as she's now too ill too cook.. Her gravy was the best I've ever had, mince pies hot out of the oven and stew. Delicious!!

On the flip side was my grandma's 'pink stuff', god knows what it was-a gelatinous gloop that she made on every special occasion-all my cousins couldn't get enough of it, it used to fill me with dread!

Oranges was another-I hated them, it was the pith-urgh, used to make me retch! My mum would put one in my bag for school everyday and everyday I had to think of a cunning way to dispose of them. One day I had a geniuos idea-the stool in my bedroom had a seat that came off and a hollow base-the perfect hiding place or so I thought! I didn't understand that fruit decomposes-I stashed away 2 weeks worth before it was full and then left it, it was Xmas and my mum needed the 'emergency chairs' as we had family coming over. Out came the stool with my rotting oranges stored inside, my auntie sat on the stench all afternoon-too polite to say anything. When everyone left my dad opened the lid and I was busted big time! Needless to say I was never sent to school with an orange again!xx
  • Options
    lime marmalade always reminds me of my grandma, and my mum didn't make much homemade stuff but we did bake a lot, and i always got to lick the bowl out afterwards, which is probably frowned upon now because of the raw eggs. I still do though, and hope to bakle with my DS, and will probably let him lick the raw mixture afterwards too x
  • Options
    I love random foods that my mum used to make, cabbage spring rolls filled with mince is one that springs to mind (excuse the pun) She also makes a killer shepherds pie, and the most amazing xmas dinner I've ever had (well I've only ever tried hers but I'm sure others arent as nice)
    My nan makes the most amazing potato cakes, they even got a mention in our wedding speeches. And she used to make me green soup before I went off to the footie with my Grandpa, its just leek soup but when I make it for LO it will be known as green soup.

I'd love LO to grow up liking to cook......