Forum home Babies Baby

can i change my surname on sons birth cert?

Hello all,

well the title kinda says it all -

does anyone know if its possible, if i can change MY surname on my sons birth certifcate?

anyone else done this?

(my son and now husband have the same surname cause we always intended to get married)

kim

Replies

• Yep you can - i keep meaning to do Ollie's as we had to register him before we got married.
    However, cant remember now if there is a time limit on it though... :\?

xx
  • yeah u defo can. there is a form you need to get from registry office and there is no time limit.
    xxxx
  • If your children are born before you are married and then you marry the childs father then you have to re-register the births and get a new birth certificate, I only know this because me and hubby had 3 children before we got married and the registrar who married us told us.
  • i dont quite get why u would want to? if i had brooke out of marriage so had grange on her birth dertifiate then married rob... i dont see why it would matter that it has ur maiden name on it?
    as far as im aware u cant change anything on a birth certificate. and also if u re register the birth how wud u explain to ur kids why the birth certificate is signed however many years after they were born?
    sorry just my opinion it seems unnessecary hassle..
    xx
  • The registrar told me it was law that you had to re-register when you get married, personally i wasnt bothered by it and it is a little odd as my sons birth certificate is now dated 10 years after he was born but as it is a legal requirement we had to do it.