Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Ibuprofen for babies is really dangerous (apparently)

I have just gotback from the GP (Abby is full of a cold) and he told me that it is OK to give her Calpol every 4 hours while she is poorly, but don't give ibuprofen.

I asked him why and he said "you should never give any non steroid anti-inflamatory to any child, I cannot belive some sick pervert was able to make it and maket it for babies, if you have any at home - throw it away"

He then said it can damage baby's kidneys, he used to work in a peadiatric renal unit - and saw some real horror stories.

So anyway I now feel really awful for keep giving it to Abby (even though I stuck to the instructions on the bottle) so I thought I should let you all know. I honestly never thought they would be able to sell something so dangerous! :x :x :x

Nx

Replies

• Gate crashing really as my lo is a toddler now but saw this on the front page. I have been advised to give my lo ibroprofin and calpol alternately in the past and was given baby neurofin on prescription once - I think you have to way up what is worse - taking what seems to be some biased advice or helping your child to get better especially when it comes to high temperatures as babies don't have the ability to regulate thier temperature high temps can be dangerous for them.
  • hmmmm not really sure i agree with that! Maybe if you gave it 3 times a day for weeks on end.

In my opinion Ibuprofen is excellent at getting temperatures down and keeping them down for much longer than paracetamol.

Remember though all the stuff in the press about a year ago that said research showed that giving Calpol (paracetamol) could increase a childs risk of developing asthma??? Sometimes these things should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Please please so not feel bad or guilty, your G.P was out of order passing on such a strong personal opinion. x
  • Aww thanks girls! I am so glad I am not alone. I always thought it was better to get a temp down at all costs too, so I will definately keep hold of my calprofen - but I will use calpol first in future! I was just so shocked that he was saying how damaging it can be! I am so glad it seems that it is just a dopey GP, thankfully it's not her normal GP!

Nx
  • i can't actually say what i want about that gp, he is full of crap, yes if you gave your baby more than you should over a long period of time it could damage a babies kidneys but not if you follow the instructions on the bottle. We give ibuprofen and calpol all the time to babies and children at work and if consultant paediatricians think it's safe then i'm positive it is. It's like anything if you follow the instructions it's fine if you don't then your going to have problems, really so cross at your gp what an idiot.
    (if you want more reassurance just message me on fb)
    xx
  • what!!! i give both of mine ibruprofen ,calpol makes jack hyper so i dont give it him i give them boots own sore throat and fever relief which i ibruprofen!! i seriously shouldnt give it them??!! i cant give them anything then ...everything but calpol is 6& and now this !!!
  • honestly it is safe, i'm a children's nurse, we wouldn't be allowed to give it or it wouldn't be for sale if it's not, as long as you follow the instructions and don't overdose you children every day it's fine, even calpol can cause problems if you give too much (as in overdosing your child over a long time)
    xx
  • JJ was prescribed ibuprofen and calpol every 2 hours for 5 days...that's totally wrong what ur GP has said to you! ibuprofen is brilliant for temperatures x
  • It's definately safer to give it than have a temperature! These things are tested for years before release. I used to be an a&e nurse and saw so many children having febrile convulsions due to very high temps! As long as the instructions are followed then it's fine!
  • when dd had swine flu dr said to give calpol and calprofen. they would nto be able to sell from 3+ months if it was harmful
  • my daughter has tontilitis she wont eat only drinking little bits , so the doc gave her penicillian , shes been takin that calpol and ibrufon but on a emty stomach she wont it this has been goin on for 2 days , is it ok 4 her to take these?

• Hi lau27, you should realky ask a dr or pharmacist whether its ok for your daughter to take those meds on an empty stomach, as its too important to go on sometimes opinion on here. All I will say is that penecillin can sometimes cause a bad rash in small children (it is not serious, but very miserable for kids) just so you're prepared. X
  • My daughter had a throat infection and wouldnt eat either. keep offering her milk feeds throughout the day and offer yoghurt and fruit puree. once she starts to feel better she will eat, it just hurts too much at the minute. xx

• You dumb mothers. You really believe that your dr. cares about your health and will not just push any new, dangerous drug on you and your kids? How many commercials have you seen "if you took ___ and experienced kidney faliure/heart attack/birth defects/death/etc, then you may be able to recieve financial compensation". The drugs dr prescribe are meant to mask symptoms and have not been studied for long term use, yet they will encourage you to use forever (asthma meds are a good example).

Take responsibility for you health AND especially your baby's. Use your brain and do some research on all the horrible things dr.s have prescribed and DONT let dentists put neuro-toxin mercury fillings in your kids mouths!!!!! Its sad i even have to say these things...

• Well T' H aren't you offensive!
  • T H you are entitled to your opinion but, as I have said to plenty of people in the past, if you believe everything you read you wouldn't touch anything & would probably wind up in hospital being given all those drugs you're objecting to in order to keep you alive.

E.G. Do you know what is in the toothpaste you use to clean your teeth?

Do you know what is in the food you are eating every day?

Do you know what is in your health & beauty products (shampoo, bath oils, moisturisers, soaps)?

Do you know what is in the water you drink?

There are plenty of things in our day to day lives that we don't put too much thought to but when it comes to drugs/vaccinations suddenly it's all blown out of proportion & 'OMG, don't touch that!!!'  Seriously, stop & think about it for a moment, what is better here - leaving your child to suffer with pain or providing them with relief?  Each to their own opinion, it doesn't make anyone DUMB or STUPID for choosing what they feel best.

• Well Said KazzieM!
  • yes! please to always be sure and check the latest warning labels. but if your child is sick the best tool is always a humidifier, for any kind of sickness!

Baby Humidifiers

• I was just googling harmful effects of ibuprofen because we are considering what to give to our daughter for teething, and came across this site.

I have suffered with a sensitive stomach for the last fifteen years, and have been advised never to take ibuprofen ever again, as after extensive medical research, it has been proven to be very bad for the stomach.

Because of this, I was sceptical about how good this would be for a five month old baby's stomach. However there seems to be very little negative press when it comes to babies, and yet when it comes to adults (simply google gastritis or stomach inflamation and NSAIDS), the negative information and study is abound.

Using even the littlest of common sense, I can only conclude that using ibuprofen is not a good thing for a baby's stomach, and that because it is a relatively new product for them, we are yet to hear the backlash, further, it might be that negative information is being stifled in the interest of big business.

I suggest you google stomach inflamation and ibuprofen (NSAIDS), before you make a decision to feed this to a baby.

• And yet again 'Google' makes an appearance.  Yes NSAIDs can cause stomach inflammation & ulcers with continued use (as it states upon the leaflets enclosed) but then why would you use NSAIDs continually?  Most people only need to take ibuprofen for 3-4days to reduce swelling.  Again you don't have to take the maximum dose but use it as & when you need to (I am prescribed NSAIDs for my joints).

For teething pain I wouldn't recommend ibuprofen but Calpol when needed.  Bongela teething products work well & many people swear by Amber teething bracelets/necklets.

• Well i am fallig i love with u kazziem whao  kw how to answer a question, well if u belive everything u see on google u would constantly live in fear , try and type the negative effect of pipe borne water to the body and u would b shocked how many aliment u can get for drinking the water from ur tap , just learn to use everything in a minimised way and i don't think u would have an issue with them,