Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Daytime naps

Hi
Does anybody have any advice on getting my 6 month old to take day time naps please. Our problem is she gets over tired but is really nosey and thinks she will miss out on something if she closes her eyes. I try to get her to go to sleep but this takes along time up to her next meal time sometimes (3 hours) but she will just scream and then when/if she does drop off she will have 30 mins although she is still yawning she does seem happier with this. I have tried cot/sofa/me/bouncer but she is the same with everything. Even if i take her for a walk in the pram it can take her up to an hour before she drops off and doesn't always sleep in the car seat either. This is fine when i'm out and about as even if she's not asleep she doesn't cry but at home it's awful. On a night she's great she goes off on her own and if she wakes up she can go back to sleep on her own. It is just the day time and she gets grumpier as the day goes on because she is so tired but fights it. I dont have any times set for naps as this is very hard to do at the moment but she is definetly tired after being up 2 hours. Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi emilylou, what i did with my little boy was put him in his cot at the same time every nap time with what we call sleeptime bear, so he gets to know that this his is sleep time, he did cry for a few days but i just kept reassuring him and perservering it is hard, hope this is some help, good luck, it is hard when they get overtired and so upset, good luck x
  • Options
    hi emilylou... have you tried just having some quiet time with her maybe snuggled up on a chair with the blanket and get a book or quiet game or teddy and start off with trying to get 5 mins with her sat cuddled with you in a darkened room. :\) even if she's doesn't sleep it's good if she has a bit of quiet time. & with a bit of luck she might sleep! lol :\)
  • Options
    My four month old is the same, she loves to know whats going on and hates to miss out. She will sleep sometimes in the pram when we go out, but having a nap at home can be a nightmare. I tend to walk around with her ofr a bit and then we look at some books and have a little milk and things (sometimes) gets her to nod off! Unfortunately she will then wake if I put her down, so I have to get myself organised first with a cuppa and the remote control and take the opportunity to put my feet up for a bit!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and its nice to know my lo not the only one who is a little demon when it comes to naps. We've managed 2 half hour naps today one in pram and the other as quiet time in darkish room and she went off unbelievable and she was such a happiper girl this afternoon - thanks so much x
  • Options
    great that it worked for you emilylou!! :\) xx