Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Early Waking

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on early waking. My dd is 19 weeks and all of a sudden over the last 7 nights been waking at 5.30. She doesn't seem hungry but just after a bit of comfort. Previously she was sleeping until 6.30-7.30. We haven't been feeding her at 5.30 but just try and drag it out until 7am - she doesn't cry for it and seems happy and giggles away sometimes and on other ocasions seems tired as still rubbing her eyes.

We either go in and give her a cuddle (20X) or I 've been downstairs a couple of times with her. On another occasion we took into our bed and she fell asleep straight away.

She self settles to sleep at 7pm and during her daytime naps.

Her last feed is a dreamfeed at 11.30pm.

Any advice or anything we can try?

Replies

• Options
    From what i can gather this is quite normal at this age and doesn't seem to be related to hunger.

My lo started with early waking at around the same time and it lasted about 3-4 weeks. I tried lots of different things but as he was happy playing i just tended to leave him. Sometimes he would drift back off and other times he would get upset and need cuddles. After about 3 weeks he would still wake, have a play and a chat with himself for about 10-15 mins then drift back off until 7.30am. He still does this on occassions now (5.5 months).

I would just ride with it for the moment as it's obviously just a stage they go through!
  • Options
    My lo did the same around the same age, lasted just over a month. There was no way we could persuade her that she wanted to sleep more so we just went with it and got up with her. After about a month or so she went back to waking at her normal time of between 6am and 7am.

I'm afraid you may just have to go with the flow, sometimes if Charlotte wakes early I can hear her chatting away over the monitor but as long as she sounds happy I just leave her to play only get up with her if she cries.