Forum home Babies Baby

Baby rice??

Hi Everyone,

My lo is 14 weeks now and weighs just under 17 pounds. I am still breastfeeding on demand as she is still feeding constantly but she is now chewing her fists all the time. Do you think I should start introducing baby rice to satisfy her?

I also give her a bottle of formula a day to keep her going so perhaps I could give baby rice with this feed?

Replies

• if you think she is ready then try it. i gave my lo his first tastes of babyrice today. he is 18weeks. i think he has been ready for a while but have been putting it off. he did well he opened his mouth on his own sometimes but he didnt seem to like the taste. be warned it gets messy!!!! good luck!
  • Hi, she may be chewing her fists as she has discovered her hands? 14 weeks is quite early for weaning, has she stopped sleeping through the night or is she still hungry after feeds, these are other signs that she may be ready for some solids
  • Hi

My lo is also 14 weeks and weighs 17lb 5oz. I have been giving him baby rice for 3 weeks as he started to wake in the night, looked at my food and dribbled and was still hungry after his milk. He loves it and is much happier.

My lo also chews his fists and fingers all the time but i think this is because he's teething, my hv said that baby's can feel irritation in their gums at an early age and find chewing on their fists/fingers comforting.

You could try giving a little baby rice and see how she reacts. She's a good weight for 14 weeks so she might need that little bit extra. Like holly said, it can get very messy! x
  • i would speak to your HV before giving rice as she is still younger than the recommended age. sucking fists is natural & not a sign of hunger. constant crying signals hunger at that age. i personally wouldn't rush to start weaning yet.
  • Just do what you think is the right thing, I started my lo on baby rice at 16 1/2 weeks as he was crying in between feeds, started waking in the night and taking 11oz of expressed milk in one feed. I would try offering water in between feeds in case it is thirst not hunger tho.
  • Thanks for all your replies. Chewing her fist wasnt the only sign. She is taking an interest in what I am eating and is still hungry after a massive feed. She has also started waking up in the night for a feed. She takes after her mother!

Anyhow, tried her with baby rice yesterday and she loved it.. very strange. She had about 3 tea spoons. I have tried her again this morning and not interested. Will try her again later.
    I dont intend to give her any other solids until she is at least 4 months but will keep giving her baby rice until then to get her used to it.
    I dont have much faith in my midwife or health visitors Im afraid. As far as they are concerned, you should breastfeed until baby is 1 and if you dont, you are a bad mother.
    Forgot to mention, Lilia wont have water at all. She just spits it out in my face! Think I am going to have my hands full with this one.lol x
  • Hi wells15

My LO hates water, as soon as he takes some he spits it back out. He is 16 weeks and I've started to give him a tiny bit of baby rice and he loves it, by the third day he was trying to grab the spoon. Like you I intend to take it slowly, my HV came to visit the other day to talk about weaning,she said that it was the guidelines to wean at 6months, but that was only a guide and that some babies are weaned earlier for different reasons. I think what they are concerned about are LOs getting allergies and intolerances to foods cause they are introduced too early, she basically said that some mums introduce too many different foods too fast..... I'l hold off on the steak and chips for a bit...lol

It so confusing at times and you do questions if your doing the right thing at times, I thinks it's just a case of trusting your own instincts. I'm confused over what time of day to I give the baby rice and once where established on baby rice do I just give him as much as he will take, or limit his portion size. I've bought the annabell karmel puree book which seems helpful and my HV also gave me a weaning planner
  • i have started my lo on baby rice and i give him it at about 4ish when he has nearly finished his bottle. he seems to try and suck the spoon and pulls a face like he dosent like it but i think i will carry on with it to try get him used to the spoon.