Forum home Babies Baby

any childmiders who dont mind me picking their brains!!

Hi i am currently working full time (booo) and well I have been talking to my hubby and we have agreed for me to look into child minding!!
I have 2 children myself, DD1 who will be 5 in june so at school full time and Lizzie who is 4 months!
I undertsand I need to phone my local council and see how to go about applying and stuff (can you tell how excited I am yet!!! ekkk!!)
I was wondering if you can tell me how hard it is to get work? Im 25 and as I say I have 2 children of my own, I own my own home, am married, I drive, I love to see children playing and dont mind the mess at all! I have a sfae home with stair gates, fire gaurds,looks of all kitchen cupbaords, anything harmful up high! (i understand I would need a first aid box and fire blankets??) and i undertsna dyour home is checked b4 becoming registered? and me and my hubby would both be CRB checked-this is no problem as ive had this done for all my health care jobs since being 18 and hubby has similar for his work.
My main concern is making sure I have enough money to cover bills-any idea how i would find this?
OMG I am so excited. I have to go back to work for 3 months anyway-is this long enough to do training or does it take longer than this??
thank you so much from a very very excited Wannababy!! (and family!!)

Replies

• Oh wow...what a fantastic idea for you! Good luck with everything. My best friend is a child minder and she only had to do a two day course! She had her home checked and CRB's etc but it all seemed really easy for her. She was only allowed one child for her first year (but if you've got 2 of your own you're not going to want millions anyway!) she loves it! She also does term-time only hours so that when her boys are off school she can spend time with them etc.

GOOD LUCK! I'm soooo excited for you

xxx
  • Hey hun,
    great idea, im really happy for you. I am not sure but i have fund this for you:

http://www.ncma.org.uk/PDF/becomechildminder_eng_v2.pdf

good luck xxx
  • thank you both!
    i think it depends on the size of your home and how many children (and theirs ages) to how many children you are allowed to care for at a time. I am a very lucky girl (should say women,lol) as we have a 3 bedroom property with a reasonable garden,not main roads as we live in a villiage.
    I have found the number of who I need to ring and I am going to do that tomorrow morning.
    I am also going to ask my older sister for all her old toys/learning toys/acticitves from when she was a montisori teacher as obv I want the children to have fun whilst they learn and some of the things she has are great and all are just packed away only being used by DD1 when we visit my mum!
    Hubby said he will happliy pack away his dvd's! but other than that I already have a 4 year old who beilives the lonuge is her play room so why not add more to join in the fun!!
    I have done a year of a child care course at college (Btec national dipolma in child care and education) and I have been doing care/nursingsince I was 18 so its not like Im going in completely blind!!
  • Well i am also a teacher hun. I work in year 6 but if you need anything to help you with the lesson plans then just ask and i will get them from he reception teacher for you. im very excited for u let me know how the phone call goes xxx
  • I am a EYFS leader in a primary school. Get hold of a copy of EYFS. This is the Framework for 0-5 year olds whether you are a school, nursery or chidminder we all have to work within the framework. The 'Welfare Requirements' are the statutory bit which OFSTED look at. If you want any help or advice about it let me know. x
  • Hi Hun, I'm a childminder, I became registered last September so if you need any questions answering then email me (I don't have time to reply properly on here right now sorry!)
  • hi i spent 15 mins on phone to council. the lady was so helpful. i have my name down for the 2 night intro nights and then the 9 week course which is in june!!
    i think i have the eyfs as my daughter had something like that from preschool. thank you all for your help ill let you know how it all goes!!
  • Hiya, ive just registered as a childminder, im in scotland so im not sure if its different. If its any help, it really doesnt matter what size your house/garden is. In Scitland i am allowed 6 children which includes your own. No more than 3 can be pre-school and only 1 under age 1. Ive got 3 kids now, my eldest starts school in August so i can have another pre school child over 1 and 2 school age children.

I'm sure you will get children ok, what i have done is tell as many people as i can and try and get to know people at toddler groups/school etc. I know a few childminders and they get pretty much all their kids through people they know or word of mouth.

Ive printed up leaflets which i got on ebay at a good price, around ??35 for 500 and im going to leaflet drop all the streets around me and leave some at toddlers etc.

Ive decided to do this as i just cant afford to have 2 kids in nursery and another in after school care. I was self employed and can make really good money if im busy but it was so hard to get out the door and make it worth my while. I dont expect to make loads as really its the full time kids that make the money and i can only have 1 but I'm thinking of it as i make ??600 per month before i start coz im not paying out nursery fees.

Good luck, give me a shout if i can help

Gemm x
  • thank you so much. i live in a villiage but a rather big one. i can advertise in the shop for 25p a week and on parish council board and booklet too.
    the 2 nights intro is in few weeks and hubby is coming with me! x