Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When did you put your baby in forward facing stroller mode?

Replies

• Options
    you can get an icandy cherry stroller second hand off ebay too i have noticed quite reasonably.

and happylump that was sleepybeccis point. a car seat is NOT a substitute for a carrycot and baby should not be in it for long periods, like they can be in a lie flat pram. a care seat is for car journeys and quick trips, not instead of a carrycot on a pram. seems that a lot of people misunderstand this when they buy a pram. so yes, it is MUCH better for baby to be in a lie flat pram facing either direction than a car seat on a pram frame.
  • Options
    you can get an icandy cherry stroller second hand off ebay too i have noticed quite reasonably.

and happylump that was sleepybeccis point. a car seat is NOT a substitute for a carrycot and baby should not be in it for long periods, like they can be in a lie flat pram. a care seat is for car journeys and quick trips, not instead of a carrycot on a pram. seems that a lot of people misunderstand this when they buy a pram. so yes, it is MUCH better for baby to be in a lie flat pram facing either direction than a car seat on a pram frame.
  • Options
    Am I the ONLY Mummy who, when their baby was parent facing, could not talk to the babba constantly anyway because I need to LOOK WHERE I WAS GOING!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

OK, I have NO balance and coordination at all - really I'm terrible - but how do you manage to spend an entire walk talking and looking at your baby without bumping into stuff?!?!?! I have tried believe me!!!

Toby went forward facing at about 8 months I think (I really can't remember, it may well have been earlier), with the odd time before that when the sun was in his face and I'd forgotten his sun-shade or when we were out and there was good stuff for him to look at (i.e. in the park / zoo / farm etc...).

I also did my back in quite badly when he was 8 months and we (me) had to stop using his big buggy (M&P Joolz) for the small stroller as I just couldn't lift the big buggy all the time.

I have never given it too much thought - apart from about 3-months ago we took out the big buggy for a change and he went NUTS in it facing me. His Gramps pushed him - he went nuts. His Daddy pushed him - he went nuts. We carried him the whole day and used the buggy for shopping as he HATED facing us. (We checked all other signs of unhappiness etc. and could only come to that conclusion).

I can't afford to buy a new, lighter, parent facing buggy now even if I wanted too.

I'm happy Toby is happy.

Julie xxx
  • Options
    Seriously? An argument on which way your buggy should face? :lol: Big round of applause for all involved! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    "happylump" charming! :lol: x[/quote

Charming indeed! No need to start calling people names, is there?! :lol:
  • Options
    "happylump" charming! :lol: x

where the f did the f go?! but lump could refer to the babybump anyway ;\)
  • Options
    removed!

[Modified by: chuffedbaby2 on July 14, 2010 09:19 PM]

• Options
    This site is a joke now, when i started coming on it few years back it was fantastic not a single bit of bitching, the poor las asked a simple question 'When did you put your baby in forward facing stroller mode? '
    not and why,all ppl needed to answer was when did u and if you didnt then dont reply or just say still faces me, why go in to things to much, its a shame a few people spoil this site, glad im not on much xxx
  • Options
    even tho some posts made me laugh- happyflump's lol xx
  • Options
    ptb - i agree

remember that not all posts/people want an arguement and that the website is really fab for support. I used to get really het up when posts were unfair and commented negatively about parenting skills but now i find it a little amusing! :lol:

A forum filled with hormonal - sleep deprived - baby brained women is bound to cause a stir every now and again. x

And finally - in response to the op - its a tricky one as i felt it was another string that was being cut. Toby is now in a silver cross pop and loves facing out. I hated the fact that he couldnt really play so i bought a play tray that attaches to him - it isnt brilliant but is good enough to hold a book a maraca and a yo jo jo! I really miss looking at him and going into town takes so long as i keep stoping to check he is ok!
  • Options
    i would just like to say to all the mummys now panicking and looking at buying a new parent facing stroller, research can be made to say anything! as many mums have said their babies are just wonderful even in an evil FF pram, its not about half an hour in a pram its about how you are with your babies ALL THE TIME x
  • Options
    thank you piggy pops for saying it how i meant image xxxx
  • Options
    I'm a bad mummy, and I don't care...

My ds was in the pram top part of our Siver Cross 3D until he was just over 6 months old. I gather that's quite late, he's never been a big baby so we were lucky in that respect. He went into the forward facing and he loves it. I might feel a bit sad that he's not bothered by not seeing me, but that's my issue, not his.

My ds has always been independent and forthright, facing me constantly would suffocate him, there's a whole big world out there full of stuff to look at and explore. He doesn't need to look at me to know I'm there, he can hear me constantly talking to him and peeking over at him. He's not a doll, he moves his head to see me if he likes. Easy peasy.

Interestingly, the first ever time I put him in his baby sling facing out he was 5.5 months old. Instead of going to sleep on the 30 minute walk, he talked. Constantly, He babbled and giggled and I'd never heard anything like it.

Everyone needs to chill, step back and remember that we have babies that we look after brilliantly, it's not a competition for who's doing the best job. If our babies are fed, safe, happy and loved, then everything else is irrelevant. Some people seem to have an attitude that stinks, quite frankly, I say let them get on with it. Honestly, we're talking about whether your baby can see you - I doubt my baby would notice!!!!

Incidentally, I haven't been on here much since going back to work. I've really noticed a difference.
  • Options
    EmilyB, I have been avoiding this post but I soooo agree with what you said. Note that in linked article that was posted the author says:

"For what it's worth, and in the interests of laying my cards on the proverbial table, I personally chose a rear-facing pram (an iCandy Apple) for this very reason. Before baby came along, I envisaged us strolling along the high street with me pointing out the various sights and sounds and him gurgling happily and soaking up my guided tours like an avid, educational sponge. The reality is that he invariably used the hum of the traffic and the fresh air on his face to lull himself straight off to sleep! As soon as he outgrew this perpetually sleepy stage - at around 6 months - he was infinitely happier when we turned the direction forward-facing and he could smile and gurgle delightedly at passing strangers rather than Mummy's ugly mug, which he was evidently more than happy to have a break from, thank you very much!"

I agree with this! My bubbas had me all day long, every day - getting out and about and seeing the sights didn't distress them at all I'm sure! Rear-facing is great, but it's not a measure of good/bad mothering!

xx
  • Options
    I agree with tottie my son was forward facing from birth and he loves it, now at 14 months he says hello to everybody, looks around at the cars and picks things of the shelves for mummy to buy him! I think he would be like that whatever way he faced tbh as thats his personaltity.

What ever your pram is like has no bearing on how much interation you have with your child or how your child develops.

We are all good mummys doing the best for our children and here to support each other when things are tough or we need to make desions.

xxxx
  • Options
    OMG, just nearly wet myself laughing at the whole Happyflump, Happylump, bit in the middle of the debate! So much so my hubby came to see what i was laughing at and I couldnt get the words out to tell him and had tears running down my face.
    Think i need to get out more!

Thanks for a great laugh though ladies!

Oh and Lo switches between forward and parent facing depending on what mood he and I are in!!

xx
  • Options
    Firstly sorry if my spelling and gramar isn't right as I'm writing this on my phone cause I'm in hospital, dosed up on morphine after having major surgry today but I had to come on the reply to something thayt once again chuffedbsby2 has found something I have wrote to pick holes in and quite franbkly getting sick of it!

So wheb I wrote about despising seeing mothers not interacting with their child in a forward facing pram it WAS NOT aimed, and I repeatn WAS NOT aimed at every mother using a forward pram but at the same percentage of them who couldn't care less about their child like those who call their child 'a little shit' in public because they have dropped their toy or bottle on thje floor or the ones who smack and I mean really smack their children in public for again dropping their toy or milk on the floor and normally its cause the child is tring to get there atention.

And again I never said anything about a childs development in a forward pram, what I said was that for my daughters developmebt rear facing was the besyt option. We do sign language as well as speaking so can't really do that is she's facing away from me can I?

This topic was going fine until my post was put under a microscope by lisa and I had everyright to defend myselfm but I'll be the bigger person and say sorry to the origion poster that if anything that I have written has cause her any offense. But I answered yiur question and gave MY reasons why I still use my pram facing me and perhaps I should of aired my views on those certain mums who I described but it is a public forum where you have freedom of speach!

Writing this has taken it out of me and quite frankly got me in tears. so goodnight everyone
  • Options
    Sleepybeccie, hun this is meant in the nicest possible way, but I don't think you should be worrying about a thread on rear-facing pushchairs when you are recovering in hospital?

I've been on this board a long time, and I'm not so silly not to realise that there are other issues going here - I really think personal rivalries should be kept off these boards.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and I think this ridiculous thread should be left now.

xx
  • Options

I've been on this board a long time, and I'm not so silly not to realise that there are other issues going here - I really think personal rivalries should be kept off these boards.

Yes they should be kept of the boards but I didn't start this! So techically your saying that to the wrong person.
    I was simply just defending myslf :\)