Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Going Swimming

hi, i want to take my baby swimming in a couple ov weeks... the only problem is the smallest pair of nappy trunks are 11lb n he is ust over 8lb now...Does any one no where i would find any smaller trunks/swim nappy?
Also what bouyancy aids would you use on a baby as armbands would be nearly as big as him...n cant find a small enough bouyancy vest?
swxx

Replies

• Options
    My lo started swimming at 6 weeks! Try www.swimbabes.co.uk for a small swim nappy, you use a disposible swim nappy (which will be far to big!) and then the swimbabes nappy over the top. It might be worth buying him a baby wetsuit as lo's get cold very quickly even in water that feels warm to you. I wouldn't bother with a bouncy aid, just keep hold of him as he will feel safer that way. Have fun, Kerry xx
  • Options
    Hello, I'm a swimming teacher and I would recommend that you don't bother with any bouyancy aids for a while. You will probably just hold him, and then use a floaties baby seat. Also - take a little dressing gown for when he gets out, so you can wrap him up quick - and by the time youve got back to the changing room hes be mostly dry. You could try the swim shop, i can't remember their website but they are in Luton and will send anything ordered really quickly. I wouldn't worry too much, it is really unusual that babies poo in the pool, but whatever you do get make sure it is tightish round his legs so stop any leakage. i wouldn't waste my time with a vest either (even though hes not big enough yet) They are really akward and when he gets able to move around on his own - you start then to take the floats out, then you are left with big pockets of material for the water to drag. I would use a seat when he is a little bigger then a rubber ring - early learning centre do rings with small middles in and buy some double channel armbands - it is normally best to buy the smallest pair you can and then cut them down the middle where they are divided into two. They are really narrow and much easier for the children to use their arms, if you leave big arm bands on for a long time, when you do try to teach them to swim and take them off, they just don't use their arms. Hope this helps, claire xxx
  • Options
    I used a swim seat for daniel... he loves it!!! he's now 19 months old and uses arm bands and a ring too, he got to hate the seat thing as he couldnt reach the water to splash! lol.. it was very good for when he was younger though... definatly good tip from claire about the dressing gown/towel, we leave ours at the side of the pool then I can wrap him up straight away. check with your local swimming baths too as most don't allow babies under 12 weeks old in. ours wouldn't let me take daniel. xx hope he enjoys it!
  • Options
    We took our daughter swimming at 10 weeks and never used swimming aids and we got her to kick by herself very quckly we lighty held her head very lightly and she was off. Then for about 8-10 weeks (at around 9months) she suffered with colds and ear infections and we stopped taking her swimming...then when we did start the swimming again we stupidly bought a ring for her to sit in and really wish we hadn't. She now prefers that to us holding her and doesn't now like putting her ears in the water. We really thought the way she was going before the ear infections she would have been swimming by a year. You know best for what is right for your baby but in my opinion, don't introduce swimming aids! Oh yeah and as for the swim pants, try pampas as they seem to come up a lot smaller than huggies even though they are meant to be the same size. Good luck.
  • Options
    They change it frequently but at the moment you can take babies from any age. My pool is a private one and we have tiny babies like 3 or 4 weeks old. I would recommend bouyancy aids when they are old and strong enough to benefit from them. It is ok being physically able but they dont have the strength to maintain any kind of style. Most of our babes that come attend a mum and toddler until they are 3 and are usually swimming unaided by the time they start lessons without their mums.
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to say the ASA do not recommend holding babies under the water. It certainly does not make them more confident and babies have been known to die days later from secondary drowning, they get just as confidence from playing and getting splashed by you and other children than being held under.
  • Options
    OMG claire!!!! imageimageimageimageimage

who would hold their baby under the water?? :roll:

I would still prefer swimming aids, imo... there's no competion as to when a baby/child has to learn to swim so just enjoy the splashing & the fun!! xx
  • Options
    oh!! thanks for all ur advice...im excited now...ive got a couple ov weeks for my check up so it gives me time to get his trunks/floaties etc...
    wah hey!!!
    swxxx
  • Options
    You'd be surprised!!! Some people have this romantic idea that whilst their babies can't do anything for themselves that they should be able to swim. But that is the pushy mums. They've seen it on a video once and think that all small babies can go under water - in reality they come up screaming, let out a massive belch and more often than not puke on you, oh, and sometimes if they are really scared they crap themselves as well. It is shocking what people expect from their little ones - just enjoy it and you'll have great fun