Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Who is right??

I went to the health visitor last week and she agreed with me that Phoebe is ready for weaning. (20 weeks) She got very agitated at the breast etc etc

Anyway she advised fruit and veg puree's and to start with one meal of 1-2 teaspoons and to build it up gradually etc

I have been doing this for a week and built it up as advised and Phoebe has really been enjoying apples, sweet potato, broccolli, pear etc

I posted a pic of her with food smeared over her face on facebook as you do and two of my friends have commented saying they were advised to only give baby rice for the first 4 weeks. Their babies are 8 months and 13 months so its not old advice and now I am panicing that I have done something wrong and I may have hurt Phoebe somehow.

Who is right? Is Phoebe okay with pureed fruit and veg? Her nappies are fine (if not smellier) she is happy and more contented than she was before weaning. I didn't want to give her baby rice as you have to use milk and I am hopeless at expressing and would have a clue how to use formula.

So confused and wish there was a 24 hour line to a health visitor!!

Replies

• Some babies don't even like baby rice so go straight onto purees. What you're doing is fine hun. I only gave Ethan baby rice for about 2 weeks before we progressed onto fruit and veg. HTH.X
  • Our lo is only 16 weeks, so we're not weaning yet. Our HV did tell us there was research that babies digestive system can't cope with carbohydrates before 6 months of age (although if we listened to all the research nowadays we'd go mad!). Other friends/family have started their lo's on fruit/veg puree as some just don't like baby rice etc. Sorry if that's not much help, hope I've reassured you somewhat x
  • My lo refused to take to baby rice at all, he went straight on to fruit and veg purees and he's a happy healthy wee boy. ps. I weaned at 17 weeks.
    Of course its ok, its all stuff you've made her and its healthy! And you were advised by HV too!
    Ignore these people, i dont see why people need to offer their opinions, they must know as Mums hows annoying it is to be given unwanted opinions, especially when all they serve to do is worry people!

xxxx
  • ds only had baby rice once! (i started weaning him at 23weeks) its recommended by most that u start with root veg (pots, sweet pots, carrot, parsnip) and mild fruits (bana, pear etc) as these have the milser teastes so baby less likely to refuse and often tend to have a sweetness about them which babies naturally prefer, also they are the least likely to give an allergic reaction. i wld say ignore ur friends, if ur lo is enjoying it then carry on as u are, as she obviously likes it and the fact that she's having a variety of flavours is good in the long run as fingers crossed she'll be more open to trying new thinsg and less fussy later on. xxx
  • My girls hated baby rice so we only tried it twice and then went onto fruit and veg
  • I was told there's no need to start in baby rice and it's fine to go straight to veg (veg rather than fruit or they get more used to sweeter tastes, but think they all develop a sweet tooth in the end anyway!). I did start lo on baby rice at 21 weeks, but only for a couple of days before moving onto veg. TBH I would think it's better to introduce a few different tastes rather than bland baby rice every day for 4 weeks - surely baby will get bored with it!
  • what a relief, I felt like the worst mother ever!
  • SB, i follow that rule myself, if i dont like the taste and then LO refuses it then I think fair enough, its minging and dont force it.

xxx
  • I never gave baby rice either - for the same reason as SB!
  • I didn't give baby rice to either of my boys - personally I wouldn't eat it myself cos it's so minging so not prepared to give my kids something I wouldn't eat

This. Have you tasted baby rice? It makes wallpaper paste look appealing.

We didn't start weaning until past 6 months, and bypassed the sloppy puree stage altogether, starting with thicker mashes, but always of food combinations that I would actually consider eating myself. Which leads onto a tangent - wtf is with all these bizarre food combos touted by manufacturers? Pumpkin, pear and ground elk horn, and whatnot? I wouldn't bloody eat such odd combinations so why would I give them to my baby?

Pea, mint and courgette mash was a fave of DD's when she was small. Yumtastic.
  • I read an article not long ago which says that it is actually BETTER for your baby to start on veg and fruit puree as baby rice contains trace levels of arsenic (all rice does as it absorbs it from the rain/water where it grows - but adults can handle small quantities a lot better than tiny babies can). Wish that had been common knowledge when I was weaning Abby (now 12 months).

• Spoke to my health visitor this morning and she confirmed what I was doing was right. Phew, but I do wish my friends had kept quiet!
  • this is interesting. the WHO, unicef and the NHS state that babies should not be introduced to solids before (or much before) 6 months as their digestive systems are not mature enough for food. it is common for babies who used to sleep through to stop at 4 monthsish as they need more milk, not food, and to feed more often like they did when they were smaller. it doesnt mean they need food. they also state, if they are introduced to solids when they are ready, they dont need puree.

the last thing my MW said to me before i was signed off was nothing other than breastmilk before 6 months, due to this, which i already knew as i have read about the research myself. i have a course booklet for heath workers which also states nothing before 6 months due to their immature digestive systems.

i wouldnt have a go at your friends as they may have come across this too, it is everywhere, and i think the issus is conflicting advice from health professionals. i would perosnally phone someone higher up and ask for a definitive answer rather than go off a sngle health worker who may not have had recent training.
  • i started weaning at 16 weeks with the help of my HV as my LO was a very big baby and he just wasn't getting enough from his milk...we actually started on fruity baby jars and then went on to veg...he never had baby rice! x
  • I never gave baby rice either. We went straight onto puree fruit/veg from around 20weeks. You sound like your doing a great job to me. What i would say though is i really dont think there is a right or wrong to weaning. Ive read a fair bit on it and having now weaned my son i believe you do what works for your child. Now obviously i wouldnt advise a big mac and chips for their first meal, but if your baby is happy with veg/fruit purees and your happy then i say your doing fine. I also think from personal experience we can read too much about weaning. If you think everything you read/hear is the right way to do it you'd be feeding them everything under the sun and in every combination!! Keep on with what your doing and try not to worry if you can. You sound like a fab mummy xxxx
  • I never gave the boys baby rice either - bloody horrid stuff, especially when mixing with cow milk free formula!

Also, I just wanted to add that, while the guidelines state that a baby shouldnt be weaned before 6 months, and I do agree with this, im not claiming these are wrong, however, both the boys dietician and paed told me to wean them early (they were 21 weeks, or 17 corrected) as babies that are born before 37 weeks dont have the extra time in the womb to build up the iron supplies to see them to 6 months. They dont get enough iron from their milk and can end up with an iron deficiency. This is why they need food slightly earlier - well, this is what I was advised and the boys are now nearly 7 months and are now on meat etc. You are right to start slowly, and give them single tastes for a few days. We mix some great combinations now! lol
  • I weaned lo at 4 months and never gave baby rice (puke) and started on baby cereal and rusks then moved onto fruit purees - pear and banana was what lo liked best then about 5 months cos we went on holiday we started giving him a savoury jar for dinner and a homemade fruit puree for tea. He never liked homemade veg puree...can't say I blame him! He's 2 now and loves both fruit and veg. I have never heard of giving baby rice for a month xx

• I think they are going to review the guidlines soon, to say that it is best to wean a baby when THEY are ready - ideally between 17 and 26 weeks - or earlier/later with support from a healthcare proffesional.

The basic premis for this is that if you wait for too long after your baby is ready, that you will miss your 'window', and they wont be interested (and so wont take to solids as well). Not to mention having a stressed out baby (and mummy) for the weeks when they are hungry.

Also - If you try to wean too early, they will probably just spit it out or vommit. As long as you spoon feed and never put anything in a bottle of course!
  • The 'window' is a myth.

Any health professional contravening NHS guidelines to the extent that they are recomnmending weaning at 12 weeks for a physiologically normal infant should be struck off.
  • Mrs S - I thought this. however, I have seen it with my own eyes. My sister was determined to wait until 6 months and had a very stressful 2 or 3 weeks where she made baby wait (Im not talking months, just a couple of weeks). However, when she then started to wean, LO just did not want to know. LO is 1 in a couple of weeks and still gets most of her nutrition from milk and my sister is beside herself. She has seen numerous different people, from paed to dietician and they are worried about LO's nutritional health. She is getting better but we believe, and this has been backed up, that had she have weaned LO a couple of weeks earlier (again, im talking a couple of weeks, not months) she wouldve been much more successful.