Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

would you use.....? also in pregnancy

Would you use a childminder who had dogs? if they were securely contained away from the children during the day? My oh has two dogs- (a westie and medium cross breed) they have a indoor kennel with outside run which is in part of the garden fenced off from the main part by a 6ft fence. This where they spend the days (oh returns from work to walk them twice during the day), but in the evenings when there was no childminder children present, the dogs would be allowed in the house as they are family pets.

Would you use a childminder with such a set up or would the sheer mention of dogs send you running?
I have been thinking of becoming a childminder but not sure if the dogs would get in the way of my plans (getting rid of them is not an option they are like 2nd and third children to us x)

i'm keen to know the opinion of as mant people as possible so that i cna make an informed career choice

thanks very much ladies xxxxx

Replies

• Options
    hey hun, I've just recently become a registered childminder and remember discussing this on my course. As long as you write them into your risk assessment there shouldn't be any problem. On a personal level, I wouldn't be put off a childminder just because she had dogs, as long as that person has put measures in place to protect my child while the dogs are around, which you do anyway!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    I don't think it would put me off as long as there was no 'doggieness' (sorry can't think off another word!) in the house. By that I mean that I'd expect the floors to be hoovered everyday to keep the hair down, which I'm sure you do anyway, and westies don't moult do they, so there wouldn't be much anyway. Sorry, that's got a bit waffly, but no I don't think it would put me off.
    xx
  • Options
    Wouldn't put me off as long as I could see where the dogs were kept during the day so I knew they were away from the children
  • Options
    My childminder has dogs,lassie dogs (can't remember breed) so lots f long hairs.
    Although they are away from children all day we do still get the odd thing covered in dog hair. But if we had dogs at home I would get that anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

Lo gets out and about in pram lots as they go walking the dogs.

He's also used to dogs barking and things.

So obviously it hasn't put me off. S x
  • Options
    My CM has 2 dogs too and it doesn't worry me at all. Poppy rarely comes home with any hairs and loves them!! We have a dog ourselves so I think that helped!
    xx
  • Options
    It would put me off to be honest, I just wouldn't be able to relax, I might be a bit irrational but I personally don't think a dog can ever be trusted 100% - you've said they'll be kept away from the children, but the nervy side of me would spend all day wondering whether they'd got out! - like I said, maybe a bit irrational but just me!
    Others have said they'd feel differently though, so I'm sure you'd find parents in your area who weren't put off by it - it shouldn't prevent you from becoming a childminder.
  • Options
    Theo goes to a child minder who has a dog. He loves it! I HATE dogs with a passion but I have known this one for years and its never even barked around me. However I do ask that he isnt left alone with the dog and that its shut out if for some reason she needs to leave Theo alone in the living room (she gets to go to the loo without him watching lol) because I will never ever fully trust any dog with a child unsupervised.
    xx
  • Options
    I would be very wary as I'm not a dog person at all. Tbh dogs kept outside I'd be fine with - its just being in a house with dogs in that'd make me wary as i wouldn't like lo coming home with dog hairs and mainly as he has asthma I'd probably be put off in case an unfamiliar animal set him off.