Forum home Babies Baby

my rant

We have just had one of those weekends which i could have done without. Friday night Archie started being sick would not keep anything down and was becoming dehydrated his soft spot was slightly sunken so i phoned Primecare the out of hours doctor service...
What a joke this was...we were told to take him along at 10 past eight the doctor looked at him said he is fine gave us a script for dyoralyte and that was it, I queried his chest and the fact he sounded rather chesty so he checked that, he then shouted boo which scared me half to death never mind Archie then proceeded to shine a bloody flash light in his eyes his conclusion again little one fine and thn started to tell us that the baby who had just left the one with the skinny dad now that was a poorly baby and he had just admitted her to a ward at the local hospital ( data protection at its best).My hubby then asked about the sunken soft spot and the doc turned to him ,and said "If you are not happy then take him to A&E for a second opinion, yes please do that take him to A&E" At this point my hubby got up to leave and we ended up at A&E...Having lost all confidence in the doc after an hour wait in A&E he was fully checked over and we were sent on our way feeling a lot happier than before....

I think that the doc thought that we were neurotic parents and possibly wasting his time... Bloody hell he needed to find his bedside manner...
I do panic when they are ill I feel that this is my mothers instinct and the fact that meningitis scares me so so much and you hear so many stories about doctors getting it wrong that i think i need to ask questions and if i offend a doctor by doing this then tuff....

Anyway it was a tummy bug I suffered yesterday and so did Charlotte (4) Hubby and eldest so far escaped the dreaded bug..the house stinks of disinfectant and tea tree....

Rant Over I would complain to my GP but will probably be wasting my breath it will more than likely be filed under B for bin...

P>S if any of you work in Casualty I think you are amazing it is a job i would not want, the nurses were all young and as we left at quarter to 10 at night it was starting to fill with drunks and half beaten people obviously not a great place to be on a night...

Replies

• Poor you, thats disgusting behaviour it's his bloody job to do a thorough check up and put you at ease.
    I took my LO today as she had been unwell over weekend and after calling nhs helpline for advise they said take her in on monday just to check.
    it was an emergency appointment so not my doc but he was great checked chest, looked at skin for dehydration, checked temp, looked in ears and mouth and then said if we had any worries to take her straight back in.
    you can't be too careful with babies as they can get worse so quickly, if you find that they try to book an appointment with this doctor again i would tell them no way and request someone else.
    Hope you are all better soon!!
  • My gp is just the same- he's about 50 and makes you feel like a right time waster so I always ask for a different doctor if I take Lily in now. Just cos they know what it is/ isn't is no excuse for being horrible and not explaining things to you. Of course it's natural for mums to be worried, why should we be made to feel neurotic? Glad your lo was okay in the end, hope you all feel better soon.
  • thats just crap, the out of hours gp service just think us mums are there to waste their time im sure. When my 8 year old was a baby she was choking and coughing after every feed and turning blue so we took her to the out of hours service and promptly got sent on our way after being told her chest was "as clear as a bell" and he actually asked us if we were first time parents!! next day she was still bad so we took her to a and e where she was admitted to the childrens ward immediately and spent 5 days on oxygen and with a feeding tube as she had severe bronchiolitis, so much for her chest being as clear a a bell!
  • We are now all feeling a lot better thankyou Archie is still off his food and only taking about 4oz every feed and not at all interested in his solids but at least he is taking and keeping some in...
    After reading your comments and speaking to people more and more people have complaints re the out of hours service..
    Like you hayley that was one of the things he asked when we were on our way out is he our first... He is my third and i am experienced but will always panic no matter if he was my 100 th baby...
  • I agree scubavic, Isaac is my 4th and i still worry when he is off colour, my actual gp told me she would rather i saw her so she could reassure me that it was nothing than have me worry its a pity theyre not all like that.