Forum home Babies Baby

6 month old 15oz milk a day.....

My LO has never been a great milk drinker but used to easily take 24-28oz milk a day spread over 4 feeds

8am
12noon
3.30pm
6.30pm

but in the last week he has been taking approx 2-3oz at each feed (except bedtime when he will quite happily finish a 7 or even 8 oz bottle!)
We are doing BLW so its not as if he is eating a lot of food...he does seem to enjoy weetabix and he uses hands whilst i spoon some in! he also likes yoghurt so in desperation i have been giving him some of this before his bath as i am panicking that he is not drinking enough, he seems to enjoy water in his beaker but is just refusing milk once he has had 2 oz!

Any ideas?

Replies

• Didn't want to read & run, and can't offer much advice, but have you tried giving him his milk in his beaker if he will drink from that?xx
  • thanks honeypops, i have tried putting his milk in a beaker but he still takes a very small amount, i forgot to say that he has also been a bit constipated only doing very small 'nuggets' (sorry TMI) which he strains very hard for! not sure if the 2 things are connected?
  • Could you try dropping one of the milk feeds? At 6 months I used to give a feed morning, about 2pm and evening. You could perhaps give a snack yoghurt in the morning with water?

Re the constipation, it might be he's feeling a bit full and doesn't really fancy his milk, I think very diluted orange or prune juice can be good for that.
  • any milk that you are giving him with his cereal is also counted towards his daily intake. Could you try offering an ounce or so every hour or so to try and build his intake ? - Emily started to drink 18 ounces of milk per day whens she was six months and the health visitor was absolutly fine with that, if your not seeing a decline in his weigh i wouldnt worry too much, trying speaking to the HV

Jenna and Emily
  • any milk that you are giving him with his cereal is also counted towards his daily intake. Could you try offering an ounce or so every hour or so to try and build his intake ? - Emily started to drink 18 ounces of milk per day whens she was six months and the health visitor was absolutly fine with that, if your not seeing a decline in his weigh i wouldnt worry too much, trying speaking to the HV

Jenna and Emily
  • We have the same problem and have done since birth. I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing I can do, except 'hide' the milk in her solids. I give her cream of veg or fruit. Her breakfast is cereal made with formula. I was reading the a matchbox sized piece of cheese is equivilent to 2oz on milk.

If he is a bit constipated though that might effect his milk intake. Freshly squeezed orange juice diluted with water is supposed to help.

Not much help really, but didn't want to read and run. You are not alone xx