Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I love my midwife - Tips for breastfeeding, EXPRESSING

Well baby Liam was born on Sat and I have been breastfeeding since then relatively problem free - until the engorgement set in. He couldnt latch on and we have had had 2 sleepless days and nights. The midwife suggested using a hand pump (I wasnt going to bother expressing so hadnt got one) so I went and got one and the relief was instant. Liam then fed for an hour straight and has been asleep ever since!

So my one tip so far (for any mums hoping to b/f) get a pump ready for when the engorgement happens - absolute lifesaver!!

Im really wanting to be a successful breastfeeder and I hope things will get better again now and that we can continue.

Have any other mums had any problem areas that Im likely to run in to soon??

Replies

• i had same when my milk came in, couldnt get the pump 2 work v well and found doing by hand quicker. now have electric pump and it's great! 5 oz in 10 mins!!
    make sure you have nipple cream on hand, it's soothing fir your sore nips!!
  • im really glad ur enjoying breast feeding! i find elec pump better. when i got engorged i found that putting breast shells in my bra a lifesaver as i could just leave em in while i got on with other stuff ( like drinkin tea and eating cream cakes) lol, they also came in handy as i could give lo some colief mixed with the bit of milk i collected in em just before his feed when he had colic. hope bf goes well 4 ya babe! i also found the lansinoh nipple cream a godsend. xx
  • i found breast shells a god send whilst feeding as my other boob used to leask like mad and i would go through no end of pads but having shells to hand i could empty milk into a bottle and use it for my oh to feed with also nipple sheilds and defo nipple cream!!