Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

O/T How to get tax rebates?

Morning all,

I've just officially resigned from work! Feeling a little panicky but it was definitely the right thing to do... however, it means money's going to be tight so OH suggested looking into whether I'm due an income tax rebate for the last few years. Does anyone know how to go about it?

Hannah xx

Replies

• hi hun, i would prob give inland revenue a call. also if u left work then im sure u would be entitled to tax credits so they would be able to tell u this too. xxx
  • Thanks hon, will give them a bell when Rachel has her nap tomorrow - oh joy!

Hannah xx
  • If you've been employed for the last few years, then it's very unlikely you're due a refund, as all your tax liability will have been dealt with through your tax code. However, you might be due a refund for this year, depending on what your plans are re claiming Jobseekers, going back to work etc. Worth giving the Revenue a call.
  • Yes if you've earned less than the amount you're entitled to tax free since the beginning of april you'll be due a rebate for this year - if you look on your payslip for your tax code, add a 0 to the end of the number and that;s the amount you're allowed to earn before you have to pay tax, if you've earned less than that amount this tax year you'll be due some tax back if you're not intending to work again in this tax year. The amount you've earned so far and the tax you've paid should be on your payslip too.
    I'm in the same position as you (and I agree, a bit daunting but definitely the rigth thing to do!). My Dad's an accountant and likes to 'help', so he's sorting it out for me - you'll need your P45 from work, which they should send you with your last payslip, before you can claim it back though. I'd give the inland revenue a ring, they should be able to send you a form to fill in and send back.

I think it should sort itself out in April if you haven't claimed it back - but that's a long way away and the money's better in your pocket than theirs!
  • I claim mine through a company called personal tax assist - free through Unison. They take a % of the amount due if there is any, and don't get paid if there isn't. Its hassle free coz they do the work for you
  • Use the turbotax online and check for yourself how much rebate you'll get and then other deductions can also be included. Don't forget to use some discount coupons, use this year's turbotax 2013 coupon and avail some extra benefits and save some extra money.