Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

wine in pregnancy

I'm not going to be online today but thought i'd get this topic started!..............................

On the news this morning they were talking about a study linked to pregnant women drinking a couple of glasses of wine.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7699579.stm

My views......

Firstly, I went off the taste of wine while pregnant, tried a sip of dh's because I fancied some but hated the taste - I thought this was my body telling me not to drink. (My mil couldn't stand smoking once she fell pregnant - same thoughts) I did try a low alcohol wine which I did like the taste of and had the odd glass and also had the odd glass of pol remy with friut juice so I did drink a little very occasionally on special occasions.

I was told at a teacher training meeting on autism/aspergers that is important to not drink during the 26th weeks of pregnancy when the brain is forming as drinking can have bad effects then.

This is another example of conflicting advice and changing guidlines which make our jobs as mummy's even harder!

Replies

• Options
    I'll admit that because I didnt know I was pregnant with Ollie (surprise) I did have too much to drink on more than one occasion... once i found out I cut it down, but never abstained completely.
    Ollie is pefectly healthy and is advanced in some aspects whilst being average in others. No problems there....

I am having a couple of glasses of wine a week (usually one after work) whilst pregnant with this one, and I cant see it doing any harm, as long as I dont drink more than a glass each time, or get stupidly drunk.

I did quit smoking when I found out I was preg with Ollie, and the research I've seen said smoking can do more damage than drinking....
    (I have also done a TTC Educational course and a licences course in order to run the pub image so know lots about alcohol and its effects )
    FAS is usually only seen in people who are moderate to heavy drinkers (or alcoholics) and not in women that indulge in a glass or two a week.. (but no more than 3 units at any one time)

I'm a firm believer that if you live as cleanly and healthily, or sterile/clinically as the govt etc want you to then you dont expose your child to things so they cannot build up an immune system.... and that could do more harm (and this study has said a boy born to a light drinker - no more than two glasses of wine a week - was 40% LESS likely to have behavioural or conduct problems...)

Jumping on the old 'it never did any harm' bandwagon briefly -
    Generations ago they didnt have wine like we do today, and the bitters and stouts they did have were a lot stronger than the ones today are - and they were encourage to have these for the benefit of the baby.....

I don't believe that a couple of glasses a week can do any harm, but the govt or DOH will always tell us it will so they can scare us into following yet more of their 'guidelines'
    Its the same as you cant eat this that or the other whilst pregnant......

Don't expect a lot of people to agree with me though :lol:image

xxxxx
  • Options
    I admit I didn't drink at all when I was pregnant but I don't think there is any problem having the odd glass of wine. There has been no research which has suggested that a small amount of alcohol does any damage whatsoever. In this article it even says that the guidelines of no alcohol are to stop people (a small minority) drinking excess amounts. The government seem to think that if they go with the research and say we can have a small sensible amount, everyone will go out and get drunk.

I don't think many people will agree with me either...
  • Options
    I drank when I was pregnant. My friend who had a lo was HORRIFIED and said she never even touched eggs (not even well cooked) let alone alcohol.

I had a drink once a week, sometimes twice, sometimes none. But not a large measure or anything. Personally Im with S.Y and I have heard that FAS is mainly seen in women who are heavy drinkers and alcoholics.

Personally I think a bit of what you fancy does you good and as long as you are only having the odd glass then it won't hurt you. People did used to stare if I had a drink when out, but its my business not theirs!! x
  • Options
    That does make sense Katie - I'm sorry for your sisters loss - she should definitely not blame herself.

xxxx
  • Options
    I didnt drink while I was pregnant, didnt want to take the risk! Even though two of my best friends got married while I had a bun in the oven, so TWO weddings and I couldnt get merry & pissed!!!
    I even got de-caff coffee... But Im sure the odd small glass occasionally wouldnt do any harm, but personally imo , Why take the risk, however small the risk is its not worth it xxx
  • Options
    I can understand why people dont have a drink, and it is each to their own. If not having a drink reassured you then that was best for you. I am sorry for your sisters loss, and in the same situation I could see myself thinking the same.

I know someone who got pregnant when having an affair, and she didn't know right up until 20 weeks if she would keep the baby or not - she drank very heavily until 20 weeks as well because of this reason. Thankfully the baby is ok, and has no problems (apart from not putting much weight on) as she decided to keep her, but its situations like hers that i dont really agree with.

I get the comments aswell, when we go to the club for a drink (if we get time) I get comments - from a really haggard old looking smoking heavy drinker who's 34! - about having one glass of wine, so whenever she's in and she says anything I just ask OH which pleasant pub were going to instead and she soon gets the idea.... All the rest of the staff are great, they'll just serve and have a natter, as they all know I'll only have one glass. image

Most of the time these days though all I want is a nice big hot cup of tea, and a crumpet! :lol:

xxx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your sister's loss Katie. I actually agree with you as well, I didn't drink as I didn't want to risk anything at all even though I knew logically it wouldn't do any harm. xxx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

This is an interesting debate that many people feel strongly about!

I have a perfect 'baby' boy, who will be 1 on the 12th. During my pregnancy I DID drink - but in moderation. Not the ususal 'non pregnant' moderation of a bottle here and there - but, I did allow myself 1 glass of wine a week, and half a guiness! Needless to say that some weeks I dind't have anyting to drink, it depended on how my week at work had gone!

I am pregnant (16 weeks) again and am drinking sensibly. It is nice to see that finally someone has come out in the press and not given 'scare' advice to pregnant ladies. With so many 'can't have' food and drinks, there does need to be some good news out there for us.

I personally don't see what is wrong with being sensible. After all, happy mummy = happy baby.

The debate continues ....!
    :\)
  • Options
    this is such a minefield for mum's, i did drink when i was pregnant, only a glass for red (went off white - which is rather unusal for me!) and the odd bottle of beer maybe once or twice a week. I did have beck's alcohol free, but then i discovered carling C2...its only 2% and really tasty. I fell pregnant whilst we were on holiday in Florida (un beknown to me), and drank sooo much fizzy, g&t's, Bud lite's, margaritas ( you know what its like when your on holiday!!), so i did think OMG what about my little peanut, but as far as I can tell he's pretty much OK.

I think its down to you and what you think is best you and your little bump.
  • Options
    When I had Lauren I didnt know I was pregnant until about 16 weeks so was drinking and smoking heavily until then. But once I found out I stopped completely ( am very proud of her as she is now in the gifted and talented group at school so didnt luckily effect her).
    With Nathan I drank for 4 weeks (until I found out, was drunk when I took the test, naughty!). Then I stopped until I'd gone 12 weeks and from then on probably did have 1 or 2 units a week, either red wine or guiness. I also loved white wine before but went right off it.
    nathans fine, although 2 of his toes are webbed - Steve says its because I ate a prawn sandwich while I was pregant! lol.
  • Options
    Naughty naughty EmmaLou.
    xx
  • Options
    I found out i was pregnant after the Xmas season so obv i had drunk quite abit before i knew...i did carry on having the odd glass of wine but strangly the bigger i became the less i wanted to drink!i suppose because i was so obviously pregnant it put me off!!!!!but i think the odd drink whilst pregnant is ok...just my opinion!