Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO beebee

Hi Beebee,

Im studying for a social science degree. I started off studying Y157 a 10pt course and probably set aside a day a week (about 7hrs) to do the work. Usually with the introductory 10pt courses you dont have any tutorials just a weekly phone call with your tutor to make sure you've done the work and to see if you have any problems or questions etc. My next course was level 1 DD100 60pts which is so interesting. I studied about 10hrs a week cos i worked FT but i think its recommended that you set aside 16hrs. Those 2 were completed pre-baby. I finished DD100 oct06 when i was 4 months pregnant and decided not to study another after lo was here, which is why ive just started studying ED209 child development level 2 60pts. Again youre supposed to do 16hrs a week study so because my oh is studying with the OU aswell our study nights are mon,tues,thurs and fri. we try not to work at weekends so we get to be with joshua.

I would say its more about the quality of study that you do rather than the quantity. Im really bad, i work better under pressure so often leave things to the last minute but i dont think with a level 2 course i'll be able to do that this time!

Also its not recommended that you study more than 1 60pt course at a time, so it may take you longer than 3 yrs to get your degree. Saying that i have heard of people doing this and they seem to cope ok but i personally couldnt esp working and looking after lo + studying.

What course are you thinking of studying first? x :\) :\)

[Modified by: Vicky&Joshua on 30 January 2008 19:58:51 ]

[Modified by: Vicky&Joshua on 31 January 2008 13:07:10 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi Vicky, thanks for the post.

I'm aiming for an open degree but focussing on lingusitics & language as I plan on relocating back to thailand in the future so will be using the degree to get work teaching english (as a foreign language) at a thai school or uni & plan to do tutoring too.

I got the letter of confirmation through today so quite excited but am not actually starting till June as we are away for nearly 3 weeks in march & the next set of classes started on march1st.

I am starting with Y160 Making sense of the arts & then hope to go straight into a 60 point level 2 Exploring the English Language U211 in October.

As I work from home I aim to cover 16hrs a week & as I do work from home already am quite self motivated but it's been so long since I last studied that I think that side of it will be hardest to adapt to.

I def think the first year will just be the 10 point & then only one 60 point module so I can see how I get on but really hope that I don't take more than 4 years to complete cause thats when we aim to return to thailand.

Wow so you & oh are studying at the same time, doesit help to have someone else there to make you sit down & get on with it or is it too much of a distraction?

Beebee
  • Options
    Wow languages - thats an area i would love to study, i find it so difficult choosing subjects cos there is so much i would to study! Are you from Thailand origionally?

My oh is studying Environment - he already has 170pts so we have a bit of healthy competition to see who is going to get a degree first lol I think its quite good us both studying cos we both understand we cant just sit around watching tv all night we have to encourage eachother to work. The only down side is that around TMA time were both quite stressed out- our first TMAs are due in March so it will be interesting to see how we cope with that and sharing the childcare!

4yrs sounds realistic- im quite lucky i dont think i'll have an over lap with courses as this one finishes end of sept and my next one, Psychology, doesnt start till mid oct...phew. Well if you ever need any help with anything just let me know. Also, are you on Facebook, if so they have an OU group that you can become a member of if you access it through the OU website, you can then meet people who are studying the same course etc x