Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby won't sleep on back

Hi,

Having a problem with my 2 week old. Ella has really bad wind and vomits quite frequently. We are getting it looked into but when we wind her and she falls asleep and we put her into her moses basket she wakes up within minutes and cries until we pick her up. She sleeps on our chests after/ while getting winded and is really settled - will sleep for a good 2/3 hours. She will also sleep in her car seat happily and on her back in our arms.

Really don't know if her moses basket is uncomfy or what but end up sleeping at night with her on my chest or she lies on her side cuddled into me. Really don't want her in the bed with me and also can't seem to get peace during the day to do anything as she is always in my arms.

Any suggestions?

Tried putting her in her basket when she falls asleep at night but she ends up waking up very distressed and just won't calm. Think that it might have something to do with the wind/ vomitting but not sure.

HELP!! Please.:cry:

Replies

• Have you got her checked for reflux? Also if she wont sleep on her back could you roll a blanket and put it in at her back to let her sleep on her side?
  • Hi hun

What milk is ur lo on? have u tried rising the moses basket up as if shes sitting up almost but not to high as some babies dont like lying on their backs, my daughter is the same i rise her bed up with a small box or 4 books and she settled really well with that as well, and have u tried giving her cool bolied water if she wont settle? we do that for keira at the end of the night she only takes 2 oz of it then she brings all her wind up that causing her to unsettle

Having cool bolied water wont harm her regluar feeds as keira wakes up every 4 hours durin the day and when she have her last bottle at 10 pm she stays awake for about an hour then cried so we give her the water and brings her wind up then put her down and she wont wake up until either at 4am or 6 am depending on how hungry she is!

Give it a try and see what happpened with the bed and maybe give her cool bolied water same as if ur warming her bottle up incase u wonder how cooled

Good Luck and keep me up to date please

Cheriste xxxxxxxx
  • another thing about the milk part she wouldnt settle with the cow and gate milk that she was on, so we change it to farley and she settled really well with that now

Cheriste xxxxxxxxxx
  • She fully breastfed and the health visitor thinks that she might have reflux. We are trying Infacol which seems to be helping. Will give it another couple of days and see if she settles a bit more. She always seems to choke on her back too which worries me.

Will try tilting her moses basket tonight and see what happens. I'm the same though - I hate lying on my back to sleep and always sleep on my tummy or side. She sleeps so well in the bed with me but I'm so worried that I accidently roll over or hurt her in some way.

She really needs to sleep in her bed though and I really need to get my life back during the day.

Will let you know how we get on. Fingers crossed.
  • Def sounds like reflux - my lo was exactly the same until i put her on gaviscon and bottles at 7 week (you can bf with gaviscon but she was even worse with boob juice). She wouldn't sleep on her back and slept on my chest for the majority of the night.
    We were at the paed yest (she's 14 wk now) as it's still not better, and they gave her some domperidone medicine aswell as gaviscon in her milk.
    Get it seen to asap at the docs as my hv just said try c&g comfort which didn't work. The docs have a few remedies you can try. Good luck - i feel for you!
  • hey hun

How did u get on? hope all is well

like alioli said take her to ur doctor to see what they can do for u xxxxxxxxxx
  • It sounds like reflux to me too. My lo had reflux and wouldn't sleep on his back and was very sicky and he would sleep on me but not on his back in the moses basket too!! So we ended up putting him on his tummy to sleep in his moses basket and he was really comfortable like that. I know everyone is going to scream at me now cos its not the right thing to do but it was the only way he would sleep so we all got some rest then. He's now 13.5 months and still sleeps on his belly.
    PS Gaviscon really helped with his reflux xxxx Good luck
  • Reading your post, it is identical to where we were at 2 weeks. Well after 3 weeks the sleep deprevation really kicked in. Either myself or my hubby would wind lo after I'd breastfeed him, he would fall asleep on us on his tummy and we would try to put him down and he'd scream like crazy. So we ended up keeping him on us just so we could get a couple of hours sleep, or we were just so unbelievably exhausted we would fall asleep anyway (the adrelian can't last forever!) My MIL suggested putting him on his front as did lots of other people. And when you think about it logically it's safer for your lo to asleep on their front in their crib rather than asleep on their front on you. I just wouldn't tell your HV!
    Good luck with whatever decision you make, but as some very lovely ladies told me on the 'my baby was born in Dec' bit. These are OUR babies we do have some say, we don't have to just go by what the Dr, HV and books say - esp as they keep changing their minds! You know your baby better than anyone.

El x
  • whilst evie was in her moses basket she slept the whole time on her side, didnt like any other position, my HV had a go at me but i didnt change it, whats the point in the whole family losing sleep for the sake of adhering to every bloody new rule they chuck at us! so dont feel bad for having her sleep in any other position she may be comfy in. like the others have said theirs probably a medical reason (reflus or something) causing it, but until it can be sorted, heres what i did to get my LO sleeping in her moses basket and off my chest.. i put a pillow in it which filled it up rather than her lying on the hard base of it, and as i was giving her the last bottle before bed i put a hot water bottle in it to make it really cosy and took that out as i put her in it, it was obviously a lot warmer and snugglier, just like being in my arms or in my bed and she slept lots better. worth a shot. good luck xx
  • Hi Kara sleeps on her back at night but when she sleeps during the day I tend to lie her on her side in her travel cot just for a different way to lie and so that she is not on her back constantly. Also in the morning after her 7am feed she goes to sleep again beside me and she always wants on her tummy which I let her do because I know that she is ok and that if she is in distress she would let me know and the fact that she can lift her own head as well helps. She loves lying on her tummy and she falls asleep so fast. She must find it really comfortable. I love lying on my tummy as well.

I wouldn't worry what the HV says just do what you feel is right for your lo. You know best. HV's are only following rule books and I bet they had their lo's sleeping where they felt best. When I was younger I was put to sleep the whole night on my tummy as that what was recommended then and nothing happened. I think they just like to change the rules to feel as if they are doing something.
  • my little one was the same and would`nt sleep on her back so we put her on her front I worried at the beginning but she loves it and also she has a really strong neck from sleeping on her front and she sleeps longer as she does`nt hit herself awake with stray hands.She is now a happy 6 month old and still sleeps on her front and still sleeps through the night since she was 8 weeks old.
  • Thanks for all the advice. Had 2 really bad nights with this reflux and hardly slept so decided this morning to put Ella on her side with some towels round her for support. She thankfully slept for 3 hours.

Will phone the doc in the morning as been told by hv to try infacol for 4 days to see if just wind but it is def more than that. I have IBS and my tummy has been really upset due to the stress.

Will try her on her tummy too as she really likes that. Will keep you posted and see how we get on tonight. Hoping we can sort out her reflux problems as it really isn't good to see her in distress.

• hi there hun

Sorry to hear that u had couple of bad nights with lo, have u tried tilting the moses basket? i tend to put keira on her side if shes not settled on her back well as i have noticed that she had been trying to turn on to her side when i put her down for the night.... like everyone says its the rules that the hv had to follow but at the end of the day its not them that having to deal with sicky baby its us!! so we do what we think is right and hopefully makes it bit easiter and have happy babies not stressed out mums and dads and babies!

Good Luck guys and do what u thinks best!!

Cheriste xxxx
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the advice... Our baby is two weeks old tomorrow and she has started to fuss alot when we lie her on her back. She sleeps well when she is on our shoulder or lying next to mom when she has finished a meal. She would cry within 2 minutes of putting her down tonight. We have been using the anti-gas reliever for infants as well... I think it is Mylicon or something. I read these posts and immediately went into her room and layed her on her side and proped her back. She has been sleeping for nearly 30 minutes now. I am going to consult with our pediatrician in the morning (I guess it's called hv there). She is not flailing her arms like she normally does! I have a feeling we all will be getting more rest now. Thank you so much! Sparq
  • Hi there,
    Thank goodness for this forum! Have been at wits ends as my 11 day old has the exact same problem! Am using Infacol and he feeds/sleeps etc. fine all day - from 9pm however, he howls with wind pain, drawing up his legs and will only settle in my arms. All night. When I go to transfer him to his moses basket (on his back), he wakes up within 20 minutes and cries again. My DH and I are both exhausted and feel so bad for our LO that he is in so much discomfort with wind. I would like to try some of these suggestions - how do you raise the moses basket up? Do you put something under the legs of the stand or a rolled up towel under the mattress? To prop him on his side, do you put a rolled up towel on either side of him?
    Also, is 11 days old to young to switch to a different formula brand? Is on SMA gold now and have heard that Aptamil/C&G Comfort could be worth a try? HV coming on Thursday, so will also ask her, but thought I'd check in here first for real-life, first hand advice!
    Thanks so much for any advice you can give from a desperate new mummy!
    Webminx
  • hi just popped over from toddler, I remember this well and it was 2 1/2 years ago.

Definatley sounds like reflux and I too let baby sleep on side from a couple of weeks and we actually transferred baby to cot too as he just would not sleep in his basket. he then decided he wanted to sleep on his front from 3 months and at 2 1/2 still does. I also found that a safety pillow wedge helped him.

I personally found that infacol didn't work and the only thing that worked for us was Colief but at 9.99 a bottle and lasting 3-4days it was very expensive.

Thankfully my lo was over his reflux by about about 12weeks and hoping it won't continue for you for too long either

xx
  • Just wanted to say we put our boy down to sleep on his tummy from 2 weeks, yes its against current advise, but my generation was put down on our fronts.

He was in his moses basket for a fortnight and hated it, he went into his cot and as soon as he was tired and laid on his tum sleep was instant.

I remember the first couple of weeks, this is our first, we took turns in staying up all night and letting AJ sleep on one of us!! It was horrific, we were zombies! Its all a learning curve hun xxx
  • Hi again,
    Just wanted to pop back and say that I tried swaddling my LO before feeding him and then putting him down straight after the feed (changed nappy before the feed). The swaddling allows him to lie slightly to the side while still being on his back and seems to comfort him - so maybe worth a try for other mums with this issue...
    I then tuck him in tightly with a cotton sheet over the swaddling blanket. Last night for the first time, he slept for 2 hours at a time in the moses basket and only had to sit up with him on my chest twice instead of all night! Am going to try switching to Aptamil from SMA today also to see if that helps so fingers crossed things have turned a corner?!
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!
    webminx

[Modified by: webminx on April 01, 2010 10:45 AM]

• Sound just like my little Samantha! It's the worst feeling thinking there is nothing you can do. After a TON of research I found the NAP NANNY and right away she was sleeping through the night. I know, it seems a little expensive but the benefits are priceless. I tried so many other options for sleeping and nothing worked. The Nap Nanny did! Since the seat is angled, the reflux is relieved and my little Samantha sleeps right through the night. I would really give it a try. I never believed a product would have such an incredible effect. I couldn't be happier! Good luck!
  • Can you buy the Nap Nanny in the UK? I can only find an american website.