Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Growing up/Toddler Milk vs Cows Milk

Hi girls,
DS is almost a yr old & still on 3 bottles of formula day. What milk do I put him on at 12 months? I was under the impression it was just full fat cows milk but noticed that there are all sorts of toddler & growing up milks that claim to be better. Is this true or is it just another way for formula companies to make money? I wouldn't be that fussed if he wasn't still drinking so much. Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Xx

Replies

• I cant remember exactly what it said, but I watched a programme not long back about growing up milk etc. They said about it being a waste of money and that there was nothing in them that you could not provide from giving cows milk.
    I say save your pennies and give him cows milk. I gave my two daughters cows milk from 6 months and they are now a healthy 12 and 16 year olds.

xx
  • My lo is only 24 weeks but I overheard the HV at the clinic talking to the mummy of an older LO and she also said that toddler milk was a waste of money and that the child can get all the vitamins from his food and get cows milk. She also added that if you do want to do anything extra then to introduce a daily vitamin tablet which is a much more cost affective option. x
  • Thanks ladies! I thought this might the case. Cows milk it is then. Hurrah, no more fussing about with formula once I get throught my last 2 tubs!! Xx
  • Hi

Growing up milk/follow on milks were originally created to exploit a loop hole in the law saying formula cannot be advertised... (they're not allowed to advertise first milk, but can advertise milk for babies over 6 months old...)

now-a-days I'd be more inclined to say they're just another way of getting money out of parents....

as long as your lo is having a varied diet they can get all the nutrients they need through that, or if you're worried about it, a vit 'sweet' is a cheaper way to get them into lo's.

xxx
  • well i like the toddler milks as there is added vits, cows milk isnt actually high in iron as its designed for a calf and they dont need alot of iron.
    to compromise carson has cows milk in morning and organic toddler milk at bed. he is 17 months. i dont like the other formulas as they are sweetend with vanilla-vanillin on ingredients.
  • jonni hates cows milk. he screws up his face and lets it dribble out. so we have been using toddler milk and topping up with cows milk in the hope that we can reduce the formula and increase the milk until eventually just cows milk in the bottle!! we use cow and gate and it smells sickly sweet vanilla. no wonder they like it so much. if he would take cows milk id hapily only give that.
  • I hate all those dumb adverts that seem to imply that your child will be cleverer/more advanced just because they drank SMA toddler milk, or because they eat Omega 3 fish fingers! Just feed them a balanced diet with protein, fruit, veggies, carbs and they will get everything they need we all survived like this . I say it's a con! My ds has not even drank milk (except on cereal) since he was 13 months and he's above average for height and is never sick xx
  • I say CON!! In itself, cows' milk doesn't have enough iron, but as long as baby has a balanced diet it's fine, (and also cheaper and a lot less faff). Might be worth having a tub of it in though, in case you need to give milk when out and about and have no way of keeping cows' milk cold.

[Modified by: PinkToothbrush on June 24, 2010 03:27 PM]

• I agree with the majority of the other mummys,its an absoulte con. As long as the child has a well balanced diet,there is no need to spend that amount of money on milk,because it has added vitamins.They would get all the iron and vitamins ect they would need from a healthy balanced diet! Dont fall for it....x
  • I think cows milk is more expensive  then SMA or another toddler milk. After 12 month toddler needs 300 mil per day only. So it's 2 bottles x 150 . £10 for 2 weeks Approx . Cows milk isn't that cheap image !  for an family u have to buy every 2/3 days , I wouldn't give my toddler 1 week old milk from the fridge image