Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help- Winding baby

hi all. my lo is nearly 5 weeks old and i am having trouble winding her. i breastfed for first 3 weeks but she has been on bottles since. over the past week she has been unsettled and crying lots after feeding. despite several stops during feeding to try to get her to burp and trying different positions she rarely burps and as a result has trapped wind. i have tried infacol drops which seemed to work for a while and dentinox colic drops, also today have given some gripe water. any advice would be great as i hate to see lo so uncomfortable. many thanks x

Replies

• Did you try and just give her some lukewarm water in a bottle between her feeds. I have tried this a few times and it brings up whatever is lying in her stomach. Its also a change from milk. I am using infacol and I find they are very good. I am using them over a week now although she is a bit more windy today than usual.
  • no i haven't tried that. she seems to have settled after a small amount of gripe water but due feeding at 6 so it all starts again. i changed her milk initially from sma to cow and gate which has been better
  • It might be worth letting her feed without breaking off for winding. My LO was windy and I did the same thing but when I took the bottle away she would scream for it which made her more windy. We stopped breaking her off, she comes off herself if the wind gets too much, and really saw a difference. Dont know if that would work for everyone but might be worth a try!
  • I use Cow & Gate as well although Kara's milk is perscribed and is called Nutriprem 2. She is on this as she was premature. She will be on this for about 6 months. In the hospital at the start they tried her with SMA and it was too heavy on her stomach. You should try the water and see. It wont do any harm although your baby might not like it as some dont. My daughter takes it no problem.
  • I agree with not breaking off for winding i found it helped also the dr brown bottles help stop so much air with the valve they have. My lo is 4 months and still awkward to wind, the best thing used to be to lie her down for a bit and when she starts to wriggle with wind sit her up and try again, quite often the wind came up as we sat her up.
  • I also tried the not breaking off for wind and found that Kara spits the bottle out herself when she needs winding. At the start I was taking it out very often thinking I was helping and I wasn't.