Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

does your baby have this.....................

Hi, my baby was born in march (now 5 months old) with a small hernia where his belly button is. He has started being a bit more whingy just lately but i don't know if it's his lump or if he is teething or what!!

I went to the hv just over a wk ago now and he had his 3rd jabs and was weighed but is going down on the chart and so she has refferred (*sp) me to the pediatrition at the hospital to have him looked at. He is/was fine in himself and does all the things he should be doing at his age so i'm a bit confused and concerned!

He is also quite a sicky baby and i'm constantly having to change his clothes cos he keeps soaking right through, could this mean anything??

You'd think i'd be ok seeing as he's my 5th but none of the others have been like this. Has you little one had a hernia or has your lo not put on weight? any help/advice would be great cos i still haven't had the appointment through yet so just worrying!

michelle xx

btw he weighed 9lb 13 at birth but only weighs 13lb something now (sorry can't remember exactly without getting red book out) to give you an idea. thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Michelle if you concerned harrass your HV or skip them and go to GP in meantime, sorry couldn't offer any practical advice but didn't want you thinking you'd been ignored, i think your post just got lost in the melee! x
  • Options
    thanks Flirty, i might wait til tomorrow to see if anything comes in the post. xx
  • Options
    hi hun, my lo didnt put much on but i think that was to do with bf, they thought she had a hernia turns out it wasn't, im not sure what to suggest, keep on a doctors, hv etc.

Does lo seem in pain, read on internet about hernia sometimes causing sickness n pain if within instestines, not sure though, hun

Hope its sorted out soon
  • Options
    thanks T (we're in may 2010)

He doesn't seem in pain but has been a bit unsettled the past few days.
    I bf him for only 3 wks then he's been on cow & gate since, he also loves his food. xx
  • Options
    Hey hon,

If he seems generally happy in himself then hopefully there's nothing to worry about - just wanted to add that my HV's have been utterly s**t whenever I've needed referrals, advice or appointments so rather than waiting for a hospital appt to come through might be worth a trip to the GP, even if just for a second opinion.

I'm sure they won't mind seeing you at all if they can put your mind at rest or get your LO seen to more quickly if that's what's needed.

Has his weight gain been steady until it started dropping, and did the weight loss coincide with any changes (jabs, weaning, more active etc?)

Hannah xx
  • Options
    Hi Hun, Just seen your message. I didnt want you to think you were being ignored. I cant comment on the hernia specifically but I would say if you're getting no joy from hv then go straight to your GP. As for the weight loss, has he been gaining weight fine before and this is a new development ??
  • Options
    hi nothing more really to add but if you are worried get him to the gp's and hopefully they'll be able to help
    xx
  • Options
    I posted earlier but BE seems to have eaten my reply!!

My goddaughter had a groinal hernia and was very slow putting on weight - she was weaned early but that still didn't help. She weighed about 11lb at 6 months old if I remember rightly. Her mum had to push and kick off to get her referred and seen and she had an operation at 7 months old to repair it. she was fobbed off for ages telling her that it was only minor but after the op they found out that it was quite bad. She;'s now 14 months old and doing really well, it was like seeing a different child after the operation and it was very minor surgery.

I think you would be best off to push for a speedy referral to get the hernia checked out in case it is causing a problem - I don't know much about hernias tbh, just what happened to my goddaughter and how much better she was after the op.

Definately worth chasing up your appointment just in case something has got mixed up over it. I know my friend had huge hassles to get my goddaughter seen and only got things sorted after she was told by one of the private hospitals she'd rung said that consultants had the power to bump babies up the waiting lists if necessary.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Thanks girls x

tbh my doc is crap too we are thinking of changing. HV went to get doc to come have a look at the time but he 'couldn't be bothered' too busy doing something else apparently.
    I think if i don't hear anything by wednesday then i think i will take your advice and push them.
    xxx