Forum home Babies Baby

Are you honest about your baby's acheivements?

2»

Replies

• Totally honest. I have just written a huge proud mummy post in my born in forum as he came on so much when we were on holiday but I spend so much time going on about how he's a rubbish sleeper that I feel I'm allowed a little proud moment. I dont see the point in lying, so my baby still doesnt sleep for longer than about 4 hours at 6 months, and wont go to sleep without a boob in his mouth or in his pram but you know what, he has the most amazing laugh, and smiles all day long. I know babies that sleep through but never smile. Swings and roundabouts.
  • I tell the truth... which I suppose sometimes can seem like bragging - I have posted things on here or fb occasionally and late thought - I really hope no one thinks I am bragging about this. My son has done lots of things early but took ages to sleep through the night and I am completely honest about this. I am sure most of us are just proud mummies.

What does annoy me though are competetive mums whose babies have done everything yours has and more. They drive me mad... and it is more than just being a proud mum. There was one at a baby group I went to and one week she was going on and on about how her baby was rolling everywhere! My son (who was a month younger than her baby) promptly rolled onto his tummy from his back! I don't think I've ever been so proud of him lol! image I think it annoyed her as her daughter didn't roll at all after she'd said it. Does it make me a bad person that I find that funny?
  • Ha ha Mrs CP, I would have been exactly the same!!

I am honest about Adam's achievements (or, more often, his lack of achievements :lolimage but I am definitely guilty of shouting about it when he does make progress! I am just so proud of him!

xx
  • Yes i'm honest, Dylan is my world and proud isn't even the word. But I don't compare him to others or brag (or at least I hope not) I put things on fb as it keeps people who are far away updated.

He does lots of things im proud of but he's also quite rough not just with others but with himself too. I probably worry a bit too much about him round others but I will be honest with other mummies that he can be slightly rough and will probably hug and kiss there lo.

I don't volunteer that he sleeps through though, there are times he certainly doesn't but there is always a reason (usually teeth) but I don't think a very tired mummy who has a baby who for whatever reason has kept them awake needs to hear that Dylans slept all night. If asked I will be honest, but I will also say its luck as I haven't done anything to make him sleep through.

I also love hearing about my friends babies achievements, Dylan was a late November baby so many of his November peers are ahead of him. I love seeing what they achieve there all different and excel in different areas and it shows me what Dylan will do in his own time. Rosapenny one of the highlights of my week was hearing about your gorgeous girl standing herself up alone image I was proud with you!

xxx
  • in response to your last sentence laurz (not that i think you're bragging, but just because people say thi a lot), if people brag to me about their bottle baby sleeping through, i always reply with well dd is ebf, which is much easier to digest (and the next bit in my head) so stick that up your bum. image

i know i am lucky that Megan sleeps through (but like i said i dont boast about this) i also know that this will likely be due to her being formula fed and i would just like to clarify that that isnt why i dont breastfeed...

on the subject of breastfeeding - yeah its best and ebm is better etc but it isnt for everyone and it isnt for me and while i have felt some guilt about this its not the worst thing in the world i have a very happy, healthy and thriving little girl....the 'breastfeeding nazi brigade' (an affectionate term for the extremists i know) do my head in some times by trying to make mothers of bottle fed babies feel inferior - this isnt directed at anyone in particular by the way its just the experiences i have had both personally and professionally and i think its really unfair as it doesnt make us a bad mother! Anyway im away off track now so thats my rant over now....

Lx

P.s Im not bragging BUT she smiles loads and giggles and squeals and coos as well as sleeping through the night! image

[Modified by: Lauz41 on September 05, 2010 10:02 PM]

• well, hop i don cum across as braggin jus very proud of my girls n twin boys. wen i had my 1st child would talk bout every milestone she reached 2 any1 who cared 2 listen as i was a very proud 1st time mum n not lookin 2 brag or compare kids as every child is different n now i hav 4. it can be easily spotted as they all do things in thier own time.

happy 2 hear bout other peoples joys when it cums 2 thier kids regardless of if they r faster or slower than mine as my kids can neva be perfect, sumtimes most mums don mean 2 cum across in an unsensitiv way but get caught up in d moment as its fulfillin sharin ur joy with other mums lik u who shoul be more understandin.
  • I am honest when my LO does things, as surely is you exaggarate what they are doing then it will take away some of the excitement when they do actually do things?

There are a couple of mums within my group who are very competitive about things and it drives me insane. When my LO took her first steps i put it on facebook, and a couple of hour later one of these mums posted about her little boy walking - she posts he does a lot of stuff but when we see them he never does any of the things she boasts about.

Its right to be proud and brag when they do things, but i dont understand why people feel the need to be competitive and lie about it.
  • I think you (not you personally, one) must be a very insecure person to feel the need to lie about your child's achievements! It's parenthood, not a bloody competition! I feel sorry for anyone who does, and even sorrier for their children.
  • I think you (not you personally, one) must be a very insecure person to feel the need to lie about your child's achievements! It's parenthood, not a bloody competition! I feel sorry for anyone who does, and even sorrier for their children.

Compleatly agree with this, I always think as long as at some point in the next 2.5 years my baby crawls, walks and talks etc then thats great i've made a normal healthy child but if not then obviously there would be a problem with her which is sad but wouldn't make me less proud of her or love her less- it would just perhaps mean a different sort of life than i'd hoped for her- not worse though.

I sometimes wonder whats going to happen when these apprent genious better than the rest children start school and turn out to be average or dislexic (how ironic- sp here) or the one that walked first is last on sports day- are their parents going to love them less?

• My baby is what he is i have no need to lie about what he can/cant do, whats the point, kids are pretty much at the same level by the age of 3 anyway, so some maybe slower than some in things than others but who cares, as long as they are healthy and happy, i'm happy image