Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breast Pumps

hi Ladies

Congratulations on all your babies girls!

Gatecrashing from Pregnancy as i want some of your advice.

Still quite early but as I now know I am having a boy I want to start buying things properly.

I was wondering those who are Breast Feeding - are you expressing some so that OH can help too? If so have you bought a manual or electric pump and which have you found to be best? Including make?

Thanks for replying - and taking the time out of your busy days to read!

Curly
21 Weeks

Replies

• Options
    I did express (and it's worth having just incase you have a problem and need to express for a couple of days). I went electric as I didn't want to do the manual pumping and used it a lot (partly to try and increase my supply). I had an avent one (as I had the avent bottles and sterilizer from a cheap deal in asda) which I found good, I didn't get much out all the time, but that's more down to me than the pump.

I got mine from boots just before Christmas. I was sent through a voucher for 20% off the avent a couple of months before my baby was born, and then when I went in they had 20% off instore anyway. Due to the changes in vat she had to do an additional manual adjustment for the vat and did the additional discount twice so I got it for about ??40!!!! Even if you wait until it's 20% off it makes it more affordable considering you may not use it all that much.
  • Options
    I too ave the avent and cant recommed it enough. I used it to express over 200 feeds for Ollie and am expressing once a day for MJ at the moment - 5 mins in a morning and i get 6-7 oz each time.
    I cant get on with a manual one - too much effort, and the avent iq is so easy to use.
    its worth the money, but cheaper on ebay! image

xx
  • Options
    in the early days my health visitor leant me one of their pumps which came with disposable bottles and it has 2 pumps so i could express from both (.)(.)at the same time...it was mainly to increase my supply. Now i just use a manual tomee tipee one which works well and the electric was definitly a lotquicker and a bit easier
  • Options
    Thanks for your help girls! Much appreciated! Seems its best for me to go electric!

• Options
    I have the medela swing and really love it!
    I didnt buy the pump straight away, as i wasnt sure if breastfeeding was going to work and didnt want to waste my money, so once i did eventually realise i'd be needing one i didnt mind spending a bit extra, and its been worth every penny!
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and congrats on your blue bump! xx
  • Options
    I also have the Medela Swing and it's great, It's as good as the hospital grade pump I borrowed while the girls were in SCBU. It's just a shame it doesn't have a double attachment. I tried the Avent manual one but found it really hard work x
  • Options
    I have a http://www.pumps4mums.co.uk/images/lactaline5.jpg Which I used for a month, Pretty good Pump, It Is also A hospital Grade Pump, Gona try an sell through ebay, Just gotta figure it out image
  • Options
    I fed Abby mainly expressed breast milk, until a couple of weeks ago - and cannot recomend the Medela Swing highly enough. It is pricey at ??88 but IMO worth every penny. xx