Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

SMA Stay Down Milk

Does anybody else use this? I use it for Rose for her reflux and the milk is rubbish at mixing with the water and the teat no matter how large a size we get keeps getting blocked up?

K xx

Replies

• Hi Hon,

We've been using SMA staydown for the past 4 months, at first it was a nightmare as all the teats got blocked! Until we found the avent variflow teats...they don't block and are fab as you simply rotate the teat to set what flow you want, 1, 2 or 3!

Hope that helps!

Clare x
  • Oh wow that sounds great, we have been using Dr Brown bottles as she also suffers with a bit of Colic but the main problem I find is that the milk does not mix well we end up with lumps in it , do you find that at all??

Thanks for getting back to me

K xx
  • We use it and yes, we sometimes do have problems with the teats blocking. We use Dr Browns size 3 teats and I always mix with warm water. I find that for best results, I add freshly boiled water to cooled boiled water (I make up 5oz bottles and let them cool and then add 2oz of boiling water when ready to feed). Also, I shake them for about 20 seconds which seems like ages when you're doing it (!!) but it's the only way to get it to dissolve. Even then, sometimes the teats block. I know Dr Browns do a Y-cut teat for thicker liquids but I don't think it's actually the milk that's thick, it just doesn't mix easily. xx
  • I don't know whether we just have the knack now, but they say you need to roll the bottle between you hands, we roll it quite vigorously so we find it mixes fine with chilled water. I have found it doesn't mix aswell with warmer water?!

• Thanks girls,

Thats the problem I boil the water and then let it cool down Rose does not like warm water so when she is ready for a fed I put the milk in and roll is hard between my hands though the water is room temps and not chilled so this is maybe why it is not mixing well.

How am I meant to mix it with cold water then get it room temp again?

I guess I will have to boil the water let that cool down put them in the fridge then when they are chilled make a bottle up and then leave it out to warm up to room temp??

That just seems a lot of work and I wont be able to do that if I go out or for the night feds? What if I did all that but then warmed them up a little with a bottle warmer just to take that chill off???

K xx
  • What we do is boil it, then chill it in the fridge...then when she is ready we add the powder, mix it up, then put it in a bottle warmer or hot water to warm it back up to room temp!! Bit of a faff but that's how we have done it for the past 4 months and it is not that bad!

• Ok I think thats what I am going to have to do, what bottle warmer are you using?? sorry I am asking so many questions, I have different bottle TT ones Avent ones and Dr Brown so would like to buy one that most of them can fit.

Do you do that of a night as well?? What about if you go out for the day what do you do then??

K xx
  • Hey, I have avent bottles but a TT bottle warmer, and they fit with lots of space to spare. Luckily we haven't had to do a night feed for a while...but the bottle warmer can be a bit slow, so we just used to boil the kettle and use boiling weater in a jug. In all honesty I prob wouldn't buy a bottle warmer again as from fridge temp it can take 10-15 mins to warm up to room temp....boiling water in a jug is quicker! I find a bottle warmer really handy at bath time, as I put it on, bad by the time she is bathed and ready for bed it is perfect temp!

When I am out most places are very acommodating and will supply hot water to warm a bottle....even going to france we had no probs as most places had bottle warmers!! V. child friendly! Although I did come unstuck on a picnic with no electricity! However there are thermos flasks designed for bottle warming...fisher price do one and thermos (if thats the brand name?) do one too.

• OK so you think it's best just to use hot water, I was always worried about doing that as I have no idea how long it takes to warm up and when little lady wants to eat she does not give me much time to get it ready.

I will have to give it a go though, it is really bad if we shake it rather than rolling it??

K xx
  • Unless you go for the more expensive avent bottle warmer.....all the others just literally heat up hot water for the bottle to sit and leave it up to you to judge when it's ready! And because it takes longer to heat the water up then a kettle the process is a lot longer! I have mistakenly left out bottle in for too long with our bottle warmer and had to make up a new bottle! I know the more expensive avent one that my friend has warms it to a perfect temp in a few mins so that might be worth looking into!

I don't know about shaking....I have been worried to do it because it says about not shaking on the tin. I don't know if it's because shaking it adds air bubbles and therefore they are mor elikely to vomit? I am not sure! Sorry!

• Thanks girls

but how do you warm the milk up Lauren ?? Do you use hot water as well

K xx
  • hi klou i make mine the same as mrs agate with refridgerated water i do enough bottles for the day put the milk in the refridgerated water then shake well i microwave it (naughty i know but i shake well after) for 30 seconds and i only get the odd blockage now hope you sort it
    claire and lola-mae xx
  • Thank you, I did think about using a Microwave but have been too scared to LOL though I know a lot of people that do that.

K xx
  • HI, where do you buy this from as not been able to get it anywhere today!!
  • We have it on prescription which works well! However i have seen them sell it in boots, but i thought it was prescription only?

• Boots sell it, they often have 1 random tin right at the bottom / back of the shelves! My local Tesco also sell it as one of their main lines which is a relief, but Boots sell it a quid cheaper! Not much in the scheme of things but my little man is getting through the stuff SO quickly! Its helped his Silent Reflux masses and now he's suddenly decided milk is FAB!!! LOL I'm in Hampshire and our Boots sell it for ??7.99 and Tesco is ??8.95

We do the cooled boiled water left on the side and add the powder to that. We do have issues with some of the powder not mixing in, but its very minimal and as LO doesn't suffer with wind anymore, we tend to give it a good shake anyway! I'd much rather have to squeeze a few bits of powder out of the teat (we're using Avent Variflo teats so bigger hole!) rather than faff with making it with cold fridge, water and then bringing it back up to room temp! We just always make sure we have very clean hands before a feed!

Joo xxxxx
  • we got it on prescription and had to fight like mad for it being referred from hv to dietician etc.
    as soon as we were prescribed it I noticed that larger Boots stores sold it for not a lot more than other sma variites.

I just wish that the hv would have told us that we could buy it in the first place as we spent 4 months fighting for it with Nathan losing weight each week. When I look at photos of him back then he looks so skinny and frail image
  • Hope you dont mind but where in Hampshire sells it, at what store as I am in Berkshire...

• Joey - its the big 24hr tesco in Aldershot.
    Joo xxx
  • Oh thats great, I am only in Bracknell so thats not too far away at all

xx