Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

visitors in hospital (kids)

i didnt know that other peoples children were not allowed in maternity wards to visit you after youve had the baby. does any1 know what the age cut off is??
my ohs brother is 13 and i dont know if he will be able to visit or not.
anyone help???!?!

gracie and bump 38 + 5 xxx

Replies

• hi. i think it's just very small chilren really, due to some younger children having bugs, but i don't think there should be a prob with him visiting as he is a bit older. ask at your mat ward when you have had baby. some units are different to others. xxxx
  • The ward I was on didn't allow children that were not direct relatives under the age of 16. Think it's not just bugs it has to do with, but also that some women might need rest and don't want a number of young children shouting, running etc on the ward.
  • I'd have thought he'd be fine....
    I took my lo in at 12wk to see my friend's nb and mws didn't say i couldn't! As long as everyone's well. I'd ask at your hosp tho to make sure.
    Good luck for the birth! x
  • I have had 3 kids and come from a large family, as does my oh, we have had no problems with kids visiting us of any ages - regardless of whether they were direct relatives or not. Maybe you should phone your hospital to check before going in just to make sure.
    xxx
  • My nephew visited me when my lo was born and he was only 18 months.
  • When my sister has her little one & we were going to visit we thought they might not have allowed Amy in & were prepared for taking it in turns to go in & visit but we didnt have any problems & noone said anything to us. She was only 19 months at the time so I wouldnt think your ohs brother should have any bother.

Hilary x
  • My sister's 7 n they wouldn't let her on the ward even tho we said she was oh's daughter lol. only children of the mum were allowed.
  • think you just need to ask and maybe make arrangements beforehand then they will know what the new mum wants.
    it wasn't to see a baby but when we went in with 3month old they were ok but said that really they don't like children under 5 coming in as they are more likely to catch bugs etc.....
  • Our hospital will not allow any children into the maternity ward under the age of 16 unless they are your own children. I think the best thing to do is check with your own maternity ward.
    Good luck with the birth of your little one

xx