Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I am officially the worst mum here. :cry:

Some of you might already know, but my baby girl is not so good. :\(

on tues Ollie bumped her on her head (quite hard) when i had my back turned for a minute... she was fine, we kept an eye on her and nothing was wrong, she was even at the gps on thurs morning and i got him to check and nothing was wrong, but friday the bump started to swell up. By 5pm we were v worried, couldnt get into the gps so went straight to a & e from picking Ollie up.
after waiting for 2 hours in there i managed to collar a doc and asked her what the chances of being seen were, as they had already treated 3 people who had nothing but limps (were otherwise ok!) :evil:
she saw us straight away and then sent us to the childrens ward. We saw a lovely male nurse on there (we've gotten to know him quite well through Ollie being in there last year and then for his op this year too!) and he said I'll tell you now she'll be staying in for the night.
So we made arrangements and got my dad up to watch Ollie for us, and I stayed overnight with her. They did her obs every hour, so they must have been worried. She did look like she had a second head growing, and she was crying and clingy and obv in pain. I felt (and still feel) awful! My poor baby girl has been hurt.
The paediatrician saw us at 9am Sat morning, checked her over and said as her obs had been ok he thought it was safe enough to allow us to take her home. He explained that he thinks she has a small hairline fracture, but that he couldnt xray her because he thought the trauma of trying to get her to stay still long enough for one would be worse than just allowing it to heal in its own time.
He also explained that he had a legal obligation to report the accident, and to have a HV come and check the house and us out initially, and depending on what they see/say possibly even CS or SS.
(he was also very snotty about the fact that MJ is on 3 meals a day, even though we told him it was under HV supervision and she is over 6 months...)
I feel like shit. How could I let this happen to my baby girl? I find myself crying when i get her settled for a nap (she's having about 5 or 6 a day at the moment) because I cant believe I let this happen. :cry:
We've got loads of different things for her to take atm, at different times of the day.
Since coming home too, she wont sleep in the crib next to our bed - she slept in a cot atb hospital, and she wouldnt settle in the crib last night, but settled so well in the cot in Ollie's room (I guess now the 'kids' room) so it feels twice as bad as she's going to be sleeping there from now on and I cant just roll over and see her lil face asleep, or stroke her cheek... she's not my little baby anymore, she's growing up.

I'm dreading the HV visit, I have no idea what they'll say. :\(

So, I am officially the worst mummy here - I let my baby girl get hurt very badly and I'm gonna regret leaving them alone together, and certainly will not be doing that again until they're about 20!

On a completely different note, OH has started digging the footings out and were almost halfway there with them.

xxx

(oh and I'm guessing one worm will crawl out of the woodwork so please just ignore it if it does. Thanks)

Replies

• Sweetheart you are not a bad mummy, these things happen when you have more than one lo. Yesterday, in the space of 10 mins Barney fell off the slide, I was standing next to him but wasn't quite quick enough to catch him, then Millie shoved him off her little trampoline, then he walked into a door, and that's only one day. It sounds like you (or MJ) were just really unlucky and Ollie just caught her wrong. I'm sure that the hv will see straight away that it was just one of those things and that will be the end of the matter. Ignore the snotty pead as well, it's not up to him what you feed your baby and he doesn't know about her reflux.
    I know how you feel about her growing up, I was in bits when we put Barney in his room, oh thought I was mad but I used to like being able to watch him sleep, they grow up so quickly.
    Big hugs hun, and there will be no worms because I have put down worm killer image
    xx
  • You are in no way a bad mum!! These things happen. You could of been watching Ollie kiss or cuddle her, and a bump can happen. It certainly does with my two. It must be so rare for these things to happen. And obviously unfortunate. I really hope the pain eases soon, and that you can all carry on as normal asap x
  • Oh chick,I know you feel awful but you're not a bad mum! These things happen. My Ollie was hit by a car last year age 2 1/2 because as I shut the front door he did a runner! Luckily he only had a sprained ankle but for months after I had nightmares. We can't watch our kids 24/7 even though we'd like to! The dr sent our HV out after that as he had been hospitalised 4 times (twice for a chest infection,once because he poured "child proof" olbas oil over his face and once with the car so not exactly child abuse!) and it was fine. They sent our HV who knows us and knows how active/naughty Ollie can be so she said it's all fine, obviously with all the baby P uproar they need to be extra careful.

So,as hard at it sounds,try not to blame yourself,these things really do happen as part and parcel of motherhood! Hope she feels better soon

Kay.Jake and Ethan 9+2 xx
  • http://lt1f.lilypie.com/ADtlp1.png

Sweetheart you are NOT a bad mother at all. If you were you wouldn't have taken her to be checked out now would you?
    Can I just reassure you that swelling is good as it means the bump has come out rather than pressing into the brain image
    It is common practice especially with head injuries for visits but that's just because of recent child abuse cases - professionals are terrified of missing something. Please don't worry - chances are when it's reported the HV won't even visit if she's been seeing you regularly.
    Children have accidents all the time and just sometimes they do get caught in the 'wrong' place like now and you have done the right thing by taking her to hospital. Why don't you see if you can get onto a basic first aid course so you feel confident that you could deal with any future incidents? Might make you feel you're doing something positive...

Keep talking hun and don't bottle it up

XX
  • You are not a bad mum at all!! These things happen, you simply cannot watch lo's all the time it's not possible (unless you sit staring at them all day but if you did that I would be very worried)!

You knew something wasn't right which makes you a very good mum. And if you were a bad mum why are you so worried about your little girl!!?? BECAUSE YOU ARE A GOOD MUM!!!

I think you get the message!

I really hope your lo gets better very soon, and try not to worry about any visits from SS. As a good mum you will know they have to do this (and if they didn't want to know you know that would be wrong don't you).

And if any worms appear I'll stamp on them xx

((((((BIG hugs))))) xx
  • all the help and support you give everyone on here - i would say you are a fab mommy.

It was an accident and whether that had been a small cut on the finger or a nasty break - it would still be an accident.

Please stop beating yourself up - your little girl will be fine.

Hugs to you MS x x x
  • ohh hunny massive hugs ..its so hard not to leave them alone for 2 seconds and accidents happen ,my ds is terrible with my dd he is always bashing her ,knocking her over etc she has had sooo many bumps ..the h/v will be fine im sure they can tell the ones who are genuine and have other lo';s who cause the accidents and cases where child abuse has caused the injury its just procedure which i know makes it no easier but just want to reassure u ...hope u are ok xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hello!

Just wanted to pop you a quick message in passing. Havent had time to read your replies, but wanted to say - accidents happen xx You are a great Mummy... the HV will see that!! I think its natural to feel the way you do though, because she is your precious girl. Your children are very much loved.

Take care of yourself.

Rachel
    xx

[Modified by: MyGirlandI on September 27, 2009 10:14 PM]

• hey you are not a bad mum, have you not read my posts on max! he broke his arm and dislocated it without me knowing and he had to have an op now were going through social services etc, whre they are actually thinking i did it, well it fees like that! its horrible . i know exactly how you feel xxxxx
  • Don't worry about the HV - it is just standard practice these days, since the new govt white paper, and all the hoo harr over Baby P/Victoria Climbe etc (oh my god - just realised, I am going to have to start reading upon all this stuff before I go back to work next month! I don't have a clue!)

If you were a bad mummy you wouldn't have got her checked out, you asked your GP the next day for gods sake - if he didn't know something was wrong how could you!?

Just give MJ loads of hugs and snuggles, and I am sure she will be back to her smiley self in no time. It's just a shame you have already demolished the sheds - I am guessing taking a sledge hammer to them would be excellent therapy right now!!

Nx
  • Nothing to add that hasn't been said, you're a toptastic mummy to your munchkins. You did the responsible thing in taking her to be checked out and they are now just following procedures designed to protect ALL children. I'm positive they know it was just an accident but with all the recent horror stories the professionals have to be ultra careful. Give lil Missy tonnes of snuggles, accidents happen unfortunately (esp ones involving older siblings being a spot too lively as I've discovered lol!)
    STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP OVER IT!
    Hugs,
    Xx
  • again nothing to add but dont beat yourself up over it hunn accidents happen you are a fab mum and give great advice to the girls on here big hugs
    claire and lola-mae x
  • totally agree with all that has been said!!

HUGS!!! To you all image
  • Your a world away from a bad mummy love. This isnt your fault, you didnt do it to her!
    Hugs sweet.
    xxx
  • nothing to add but stop beating yourself up, accidents happen and babies do recover really quickly
    huge hugs
    xxx
  • Oh Stephe, I think the others have said it all - you are a lovely Mummy and that will be obvious to the HV when she visits, like the others have said they have to check things out, but they will see how loved and well looked after you little ones are. I know how it feels to blame yourself when they get hurt, my lo had a little fall at 11 months, but struggling to get himself up he bashed his forehead on the radiator abnd split his eyebrow, I cried all day because I should've stopped it happening, but I've come to accept that these things happen, and they do.

Will the cot fit in your bedroom? I'm sure she's fine in the other room, and loving the extra space in the cot, but it might make you feel better at the mo if you could see her - although If you're anyhting like me you'll be up and down all nigth anyway!

Hope MJ feels a bit better soon, the hospital are obviously happy enough to let her home, so the best medicine is probably lots of cuddles.

Big hugs to you xx
  • You're not a bad mummy at all! Please don't beat yourself up - these things happen and at least she's ok!
    The reporting is just a formality - they will soon know it wasn't your fault!
    Keep being the great mummy that you are.
    Big hugs
    xxx
  • Can't say anymore that hasn't already been said.

She's a beautiful little girl with a mummy, daddy and big brother that love her very much. Hope she's feeling a bit better.

Try not to worry about HV, easy for me to say I'm sure, but nontheless you've done nothing wrong so try not to worry. S x
  • oh hun, hugs, you are NOT a bad mummy, these things happen!! I had to take Molly to the docs when she was a few months old when a toddler at baby/toddler group dropped a toy (on purpose!) on her head!!!! You are a GOOD mummy for spotting she wasn't right and taking her to a&e! x x
  • Thanks Ladies, I still feel like crap though. :cry:
    She was a bit unsettled last night, woke a few times crying so I ended up in their room most of the night, and she woke up at 6am anyway. (Ollie thought it was great when he woke up and saw me there, so possibly caused problems for later but had to be with MJ, I couldnt sleep)
    The cot wont fit into our room unfortunately - but i did ask OH about having it in there and we tried, but with everything else there at the moment it just wont fit. I've still been putting her in the crib for naps as Ollie fights his nap most days and would wake her up so thought for now best to keep them separate... plus i get to lie on the bed and watch her sleep image
    OH thinks I'm loopy to want her in with me still, but its like i said to him, if she's in her big cot in her own room it means she's no longer my 'baby' baby, and that's gutting coz she's the last! :cry: He said the only reason he was trying was because of her injury, otherwise he'd be putting his foot down...

Am thinking about going to clinic today (was told last week not to bother going each week but leave it 2 or 3 weeks between weighs) just so I can speak to the HV and pre-empt the letter, but I'm not sure how that will look....? I do also have a quick qu about her weaning and stuff but I honestly dont know if it would look weird... I am not surprised they are having to visit, we both thought they would as soon as we set off to a and e. Its just reality and it bites. :\(

Ollie has been a pain all morning, v jealous of MJ, but he didnt see much of me on Saturdayand had his dad here sunday so didnt really need me for attention, ut now im on my own with them he wants me all the time... I'm too scared to leave them alone together at the moment, even though i know she;s safe I cant help but think well Ollie might do this, or that... I'll just take her with me... :lol:

Sara - I hope all your visits go well and they can see that you're a good mum!

xxx