Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pregnancy smoking test

2»

Replies

• Options
    Also, if you lived in places like London or Glasgow you'd be stuffed seeing as the pollution is enough to trigger the test...4 years working in a pharmacy and doing nhs testing told me that. I smoked an got a Reading then my colleague who doesn't done it and got nearly the same!!!
  • Options
    OMG really!!! We live in central London and while of course I realise I breathe in a lot of fumes I had no idea it was on a par with smoking!! I take my lo out for a walk thinking I'm getting her some 'fresh air'!image
  • Options
    certainly agree with mrs setters!!

unfortunatly the people who do smoke in pregnancy just like the people who smoke over thier babies/children in the car etc will not take any notice as they simply care more about their addiction than their children, i think smoking should be totally banned then these people wouldnt be free to blow smoke at me and my LO in the street nor inflict thier own children

on loose women today (i know i know) one of the ladies got told by a consultant that smoking over a newborn is like giving them an asthma attack, you've got to think really, smoke makes my throat tighten up i dread to think what a baby feels
  • Options
    Whatever happened to just sniffing up? I can spot a smoker, even if they haven't had a cigarette since they day before. Generally, the only people who can't are smokers, and if the midwife herself is a smoker, maybe we should educate THEM more about the dangers of smoking?

I personally would not agree to this test, in fact a pregnant me would be likely to tell the midwife to feck off.

What a waste of time, money and effort, this could be going towards more staff/beds/NICU equipment!

Oh, and what happens if you test positive? They can't actually force people to give up!

• Options
    I think it's disgusting to see pregnant women smoking. I smoked up to the day I got my bfp & struggled to give up, but am proud to say I did it cold turkey. I esp hated to see these women smoking while we were ttc as we struggled to concieve.

However, I think these tests are a huge invasion of privacy, let alone the cost of them. As some ppl have said Once we become pg our lives are public. How do we no that, the girl smoking in the street is trying very hard to give up, as many of us are ex smokers, we all know how hard it is to give up but we've all done it for the sake of the health of our babies. Yes there are ppl out there who just refuse to give up & those are ppl who need to take a long look at themselves for what they are doing to their babies.

As for some of the comments about child benefit, everyone should be entitled to it no matter what the circumstances are, we all paid our taxes, didn't we?????

Jayne xx
  • Options
    hannahs mum I agree i can smell smoke of any one no bother, do you ever get presents for your kids at christmas etc from smokers omg its like opening a smell present of smoke lol its disgusting

I do think that if a health visitor/mw teacher etc smells smoke on a child they should be able to report it as neglect, there is nothing worse than being close to a little one and they stink of smoke - yuck (im an ex smoker too so know how hard it is to give up, gave up before I was pregnant with ds1, not to ttc just as my auntie died of smoke related cancer and made me wise the f**k up)

my oh is a smoker and it is awful, of course he never smokes in the house, he has a 'smoking t shirt lol and when he comes in has to brush teeth, wash face (and head) and hair and put on non smoking tshirt lol, also during the week he gets home about 5:30 and kids in bed by 730 so he just doesnt smoke during this time, there are ways and means and I have such a nose for smoke I would crack if either of my kiddies even slightly wiffed of it theyd be straight in the bath!!
  • Options
    I too am an ex smoker and I also gave up as soon as I found out i was pregnant going cold turkey and tbh it wasn't that hard because I was doing it for my baby and that was my motivation. As we had ttc for such a long time, I didn't want to do anything that would harm my baby.

It really annoys me to see people who are pregnant having a cigarette. Someone once told me that they had watched a baby in the womb flinching as it was subjected to the chemicals in the cigarette (presumably on tv). I personally found it very hard to get that image out of my head. To think that cigarettes starve you baby of oxygen, the vital thing that keeps them alive is just awful.

On the other hand though there are mothers who take illegal drugs whilst they are pregnant. what's worse though? At the end of the day, nicotine is just another very addictive drug and if being pregnant doesn't make you think twice about what you're putting into your body then what will?maybe when you end up in hospital with a incurable disease??In fact I know someone who has lung cancer through smoking however they continue to smoke!! It also annoys me that us people who pay our taxes will be contributing to the treatment to make these people better for something that was self inflicted.

(comes down off her high horse now!)

Thats my take on it anyway.
  • Options
    Just another thing (I haven't answered the question!) breath test in pregnancy imo will be a waste of money, if a mother wants to smoke then surely thats her perogative (sp). Although we may not agree to it, what difference will a breath test make? Smokers should be informed of the dangers cigarettes can cause to their unborn baby then its up to the mother whether she stops or not.
  • Options
    Aerobubbles - while I agree that it is the mothers decision, that poor unborn child has no choice but to lie there and take it. Same as the child who sits in the back of the car while the parent puffs away, etc.

I hate that we are becoming such a nanny state but while there are such people in the world, I understand why. If one child is saved from the abuse, then it might just be worth it. Still believe though that if a mother wants to smoke, then she's going to do it anyway!
  • Options
    wow i actually agree with Mrs Setters for once too :lol:

I don't see how it will cost tax payers any more? Its only a small device that they will have in the Dr's surgery anyhow isn't it?

When i stopped smoking (when not pregnant although started again after a year when my nephew passed away then stopped again when i got pregnant as soon as i did the test) i did it through my GP to help me and i would see him every 2 weeks and i would breathe into that machine thingy to prove in hadn't been smoking... so i don't see why it will cost any more as these machines will already be available in the surgery?

Maybe i am not seeing the point lol. I think its a good idea xx
  • Options
    I was a smoker, I found out I was pregnant with dd and cut down to 1 a day until I was 6 weeks pregnant and felt strong enough to quit completly. I don't like to see pregnant women smoking, however, I think this test is such a waste of time and money, it will put smokers off going to their mw's.

Also just wanted to say in regards to the overweight issue, I am overweight but not because I eat too much but because of an illness so please don't be so judgemental of people and categorise them that if they are overweight then they eat constantly.