Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone else using Aptamil 1

Lucy has been on Aptamil 1 since we got out of the hospital and she's fine with it, however, she has never had a hard poo its always been runny and really yuk. The HV done a test on it incase she had a little bug or something but it all came back fine.

I am just wondering if anyone else is using it and if so have your babies had a normal bowel movemnet?

I have now changed her milk on the HV recommendation to see if that will change her bowel movements. Only changed it last night so havent had a dirty bum yet?

Replies

• GRRR BE ate my reply!

Ive been using aptimel 1 for the past 3 weeks or so since I stopped breastfeeding my LO (shes 6wks 4 days old) and have found exactly the same thing.
    Her poos are always runnyish and yellow with little lumps that look like seeds in (nice!) and also she usually does about 4-5 in a 24 hr period so I wouldnt worry esp if the HV has done tests to check things are all ok.

I have found that her poos havent really changed that much from when I was breastfeeding except maybe getting less frequent but I wonder if thats cause aptimel is meant to be closest to breastmilk?

Sarah.xx
  • Thats what Lucy's is like.

She was going every 2-3 days and it was loads sorry if tmi but it was leaking through her nappy and sometime even going right up her back.

I really hope this milk changes it.

xx
  • I used Aptimal 1 with my lo. We also used every other kind of Aptimal at various times over the last few months, lol.

But I agree if hv has checked and she doesn't seem to have a bug or anything I wouldn't worry.

My lo's poos have always been soft and runny, even now he's 1 and on 3 meals a day etc.

It's amazing how much you interpret change in poo = change in health. Honestly it will change lots over the next few months so try not to worry.

I wouldn't change formula too often as it will upset her tummy. If we canged we always stayed within the same brand, Aptimal, and only changed to easy digest, hungry milk etc. Good luck, iI'm sure she's fine. S x
  • Thanks for the reply's ladies.

I wouldnt have changed the milk if it wasnt for the HV suggesting it. I used Cow and Gate with my other daughter (who is now 2) and I never had this problem so fingers crossed she will have regular bowel movements now.

xx
  • im glad uve come across this post, we've been using aptimil since birth, but been mixed feeding. ds who is 1 month today, has had poo which has been runny with seed like spots in, which hasnt worried me, but he hasnt pooed now for 2 days. when he last went there was a 2 day gap aswell and it was runny like water!!! i can see hes straining and really struggling but cant get it out!! i dont know why the sudden change, as before it was 2-3 a day. im thinking of using the easy digest, will ask hv tomorrow.im sure if you've had tests hes fine, just thought id let u know my experience xx
  • era9- i could have written your post!!! my son is mixed feeding too and we have just changed him onto cow & gate formula but he hasn't poohed in over 24 hours now!

He is obviously bunged up and in pain (which is flipping horrible to see!) Can you let me know what your HV sas cos I just rang mine and she wasn"t fussed at all! She just said to make an appt with the doctor if I was really worried!!!!
  • my son has always been on aptamil hes now on the 6months+ an hes fine his poo's are sometimes runny but as hes on solids also that firms it up a lil.
    he also doesnt do a poo every day i spoke to my hv about this when he was younger an she said its very common for bottle fed babies not to poo everyday so i would worry yourself too much if your baby is havin trouble havin a poo an its painful give them 4oz of warm water with a lil brown sugar in it its a lil trick a nurse told me takes a while to work but the next day your lo will be fine
    hope any of that helps
    Danielle, Paul an lil Bradley (7months)
  • Bert666 just thought id let you know straight after i posted i changed my little ones mum and he'd done another almighty poo!! his next nappy after also had poo in, not as much but still a substantial amount.

ill still speak to hv just incase it carries on and let u know xxx
  • Ive been using aptamil since Leo was born, to complement breastfeeding then use it soley from 4/5 months and i never had any problems with it, i mean his poo's are always runny etc but i was told its normal to be like that? xxx
  • hi girls,
    my baby was on aptamil first to complement breast feeding and we put her on it from about 5wks soley and her poos became very runny, a horrible orange (like tikka curry sauce) sorry tmi! we were going through about 12 nappies a day and it still gave her awful nappy rash which broke the skin!
    we also had her stool tested and it came back ok, so dr prescribed nutramigen as they thought she could be allergic to cows milk, this she kept sicking up!
    she is now back to breast after much hard work and is topped up on cow and gate stage 1 and seems ok, shes only been on c+g 3 days though so fingers crossed!
    someone told me aptamil has fish oil in so we think she may be allegic to this!
    or maybe this is just wot aptamil is causing poos to be like?
    xxx

[Modified by: SweetAsSugar on October 21, 2009 11:08 PM]

• bert 666 - hv said we can use easy digest if we want to, but she said its more for babies who cant keep it down and are always sick as opposed to not pooing!!

She said it wouldnt be a prob as its same make. we've been giving ds 1oz cooled boiled water b4 his feed since i noticed the lack of poo and hes been ok. he had another dirty nappy this am, so thats a poo a day for 3 days now, really pleased and i think the water is helping so maybe try that??
  • We started on Aptimal 1 but changed to Easy Digest and they are much happier on that. Easier to wind and more settled - oh and they sleep though on it which is the best part! xx
  • how long can i give my baby Aptamil 1 ? My baby is now 10+ month and i am giving her Aptamil 1. is it a low protein milk for my baby ? 

and what does mean Aptamil 2 or Aptamil 3 ?