Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stitches

2»

Replies

• Options
    I had an episiotomy, it was awful, and I had additional swelling as well so I looked like a lopsided boy - but it all healed beautifully and although I have a scar I didn't get any infection or anything. I didn't bath every day because although I wanted the stitches to be clean, I was really really worried about soaking them too much (and I didn't have time either!!!). I did religiously clean the area though, I'd just press a clean, warm flannel against my stitches at least three times a day, and every time I went to the loo. I think I had about 4 salt baths over the first couple of months, very salty ones, about 250g of salt in the bath actually.

I wore 2 Boots maternity pads side by side for about 2 weeks, mainly because they were so cushioned and comfy. I didn't ever sit 'properly', lying back was much comfier so I wasn't sat on my bits, but make sure she's got enough support for her back, because she may have problems with it if she had a spinal or a difficult delivery. If she can avoid going in the car much I'd say that was the worst, 2.5 hours journey to get to relatives in Nottingham (then 2.5 bloody hours to get back) when ds was 2 weeks old was probably the worst, not counting birth and everything!

I took ibuprofen after whatever strong painkillers I was prescribed ran out, and I think I carried on taking it for a very long time. Whenever I got the dull heavy ache in my bits I'd know it was nearly time to take the next lot, and it really helped. It takes down the swelling too, I believe.

I hope she feels better soon, it's at its worst in those first few days, it will start to feel better soon. She'll have been told to watch for signs of infection, which is very important, she needs to make sure she contacts the doctors if she feels as though it's getting hot, or weeping onto her pad or anything. Tell her to step away from the hand mirror - I looked at mine after about 2 weeks and instantly wished I hadn't. I cried and cried for hours because I looked like I'd been through WWIII down there! Now I just have a groovy lightning bolt scar thing going on, which is hilarious if you like Harry Potter... :lol:

Congratulations to your whole family on the birth of your neice! x x x
  • Options
    Salt baths.

I tried tea tree and lavender oil in the bath but in the end poured a good dose of Saxo table salt (not the sea salt rock salt I had in the cupboard) into the bath.Did it twice a day and was much improved instantly. x
  • Options
    I wish I had read this thread 3 weeks ago before giving birth! I recieved no advice at all about how to deal with my stitches. My baby's shoulder ripped the inside of my vagina on the way out and when I asked for some paracetamol on the ward because I couldn't sit up properly to breast feed she asked if I was really in enough pain to need painkillers!! I didn't know you had to keep them especially dry - I thought moist wounds heal quicker.

Oh well, it all seems to be ok down there now and only aches every now and again. xx
  • Options
    Thank you so so much everybody

I have passed on some bits and I have printed your replies to take in and show her when I go and see them later. I think it will help her to know that she is not alone and it will get better.

Thank you again everybody

xx