Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long did you stay in hospital? ..

2»

Replies

• Options
    hiya, with my first i was worried about having to stay in hospital too, but... i ended up staying 3 days and yes it was because i was breastfeeding, they wanted me to stay til my milk came in. it was FAB having all the midwifes on hand, not having to worry about anything but baby and being shown how to change nappies and bath baby etc LOL

if you want to give breast feeding your baby a try, don't let the hospital put you off, you can always say NO i'm off home i'll give you a ring if i have problems LOL

good luck hun xx.
    btw with ds2 i was in 24hrs waiting for a bloody consultant to check l/o over! grr!
  • Options
    I really didnt want to stay in hospital at all and as I was having my 2nd knew I could be out within a few hours. But there was meconium im my waters so I had to stay in for 24 hours, then his blood sugar dropped very low so I had to sty in a 2nd night. Surprisingly I really enjoyed the time, and as someone else said found it was quite special, also blood sugar would not have been picked up so quickly if we hadnt stayed in!
  • Options
    cazzyw- my local hospital is dewsbury!
    But i've opted for halifax for the actual labour.

I've thought about a home birth, but personally i think its too much of a risk for your first baby. I may have a normal and healthy pregnancy but who knows what the labour will be like.

• Options
    I had normal birth (pethidine as pain relief) and gave birth at 10.20pm on a Sunday. By time I was stitched up and had some tea & toast, shower etc I was on ward at 1.30am - then oh had to leave (sob!!)
    I stayed the Monday night as I was trying to breastfeed but was having problems. After still trying Monday night to feed to no avail I opted for formula so was allowed home Tuesday afternoon. As soon as I walked thru the door at home I burst into tears. Hospital wasn't too bad, I was more upset cos I couldn't breastfeed. Lo would not latch on no matter what mw's or I tried (almost constanlty may I add)!!
    She's still a bit of a bugger now feeding from bottles!
  • Options
    cazzyw and percy pig - I had my lo in Dewsbury!

Had C Section and they wanted me to stay in 3 days after op but insisted on going home after 2 as had been in hospital a week and had only had about 5 hours sleep in that time

Mandy x
  • Options
    harri was born at 6:35pm and i didnt get on the ward til half 12 mignight. they had to remove epidural, put about 3 different drips in and kept getting it wrong, stitch me up, had tea and toast, had a shower. took ages!!
  • Options
    Don't know about you Sunnymum but my shower cubicle looked like there'd been a murder in it after I'd finished! !lol!
  • Options
    I was in for 3 nights. Went in at about 4pm on the Sunday, had him at 2:26am on Monday morning, then when the doc came to discharge us on Monday afternoon, he realised that Kian's temp was very low, so he had to go into a heated cot, they came and took his temp every few hours and it only got back to normal on the Tuesday night and then doc had to see if Kian could maintain a normal body temp outside the cot, so we had to stay in another night, but we came home on Wednesday afternoon because all was fine. Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think!!
    xxx
  • Options
    I had an emergeny section on 23rd December 06 with Millie and we went home on boxing day. It was quite fun being in over xmas and the ward was really quiet so Millie got lots of attention. The food was nice too. They took Millie away at night for a bit so I could get some sleep.

My next is due on 27th December so looking forward to another chrismtas stay and will stay in for as long as I can so I can get some rest!

• Options
    mandy123 and cazzyw- how did you find dewsbury hospital in general?

I'm doing my nurse training there, so i know it pretty well, and then an a&e trip made up my mind that there was no way i was having my baby there. A few of my friends have had there babies there aswell as my cousins, and they have good reports.

Have you heard any reports on halifax for having babies?
  • Options
    Hi Hun,
    I had Ruby at 3.33am and left at lunchtime!
    It was a pretty awful birth which ended in Ventouse and stitches which had to be stitched in surgery but they still let me home early, so you don't need to worry about staying in for too long.
    If it helps, I was breast feeding and had an Epidural too, so I don't think it makes any difference.
    Good luck hun, it's such an amazing experience!! I'm broody again already and Ruby is only 14 weeks! xx
  • Options
    I had to stay in 3 nights as I had strepB so they had to do tests on Rhys and he was antibiotics. I was also strugglin feeding him so I was quite glad I was there a little longer as the mw were really helpful. I had him at 1.20 am on 27th and left about 6pm 30th. Would have been out at 10am that morning but there was a really poorly baby that needed all docs attention so we had to wait ages to get blood results back.
    If it wasn't for the bllodtests though we would have been home on the 28th.
  • Options
    I was scheduled for a home birth but a week before I was due my bp shot up so my consultant refused my home birth plan therefore I was booked for a minimum stay in hospital.

I went 5 days over and bp was still high so they took me in on a Thursday evening for induction. Went into labour that night, waters broke at midnight. moved to CDS at 6am that morning and had epidural cause pain was unbelievable and all i'd had was a paracetamol. By 3 pm that afternoon was still only 4cm dilated and lo's heartrate was dropping so they said I needed emergency c-section. This crucified me cause DID NOT want stay in hospital but there was nothing I could do and I wanted my baby to be healthy.

Lo was born by c-sec at 4.57pm on Friday and I was home by midday on the Sunday - a bit numb and sore but relieved. The hospital stay wasn't actually that bad and it went quickly - nights were the worst time :\(
  • Options
    i had summer at 8.47pm on wed got on ward at about midnight and was discharged at 6pm and that was early really i was ment to stay for 24hrs at my waters broke early i was the same as u i didnt want to stay in hospital at all and tbh i hated every second of it all the mws on the ward were horrible and nasty to me no-one showed me how to feed summer or to bath her or even how to change a nappy!!! but i think that was the hospital i was in as everyone else seemed to have a great time in hospital!!!