Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning advice

Hi ladies

Quick question, my little girl is 16 weeks on Friday. After a hectic start with colic etc she finally started sleeping through the night .... at first 7 - 5.30 and then miracle of miracles 7.30 - 7 !!! Obviously I was delighted but over the past week she started waking earlier and earlier and then last night she was up at 3 and again at 6.30. When she has woken I have given her a bottle and she has drunk it all (which is very unlike her as she never took much in her night feeds) so I was wondering if maybe she is ready for weaning?

I have spoken to my hv about this and she said I should increase her feeds during the day .... but it is such a struggle to get her to drink the recomended daily allowance for her weight as it is, when i increase it she just leaves it anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (i don't trust hv as she has been wrong on absolutely everything else!!!) should I give her some baby rice ? if so how much and when?

Sarah xxx

Replies

• Hi hun, she might be ready for weaning, my little man was like this when he was ready. And yes, whatever my hv says I do the opposite, and that seems to be working pretty well!!
    When I started to wean Jake I gave him about 3-4 spoons of baby rice at about 10.30am, he now also has some veggies at about 6pm.
    All you can do it try, she'll soon let you know if shes not interested!!!!
    You might find she prefers an evening meal at first, as well as baby rice, I also use the cow and gate creamed porridge, which goes down very well, and like I said he has some veggies in the evening, sweet potato is a favourite. Hope all my waffleing on has made sense!!!x
  • thankyou sooo much Suzaie, top advice as ever!!

I have some baby rice in the cupboard so I'll try that this morning and then as it's such a nice day I think we'll go shopping for some creamed porridge and sweet potatoes.

I thought she might be ready as she is a good sleeper and NEVER drank a whole bottle in the middle of the night.

thanks again hun, I'll let you know how we get on ..... love the doggy by the way, he's a cutie xxx
  • Morning

Might be ready for weaning - just got to do what you think is right, i think your right about some of these hv's they live in the wonderful world of text book and half of them haven't even had kids.

With both of mine i've pretty much ignored hv's and done what i felt was best and it seems to have done the trick.

You know your baby best so its worth a go (especially if it means a good nights sleep for all).

Good luck with the weaning - it's great fun and can get well messy lol

xxx
  • You probably find with her bottles that she be really greedy one day, and not the next, and I've found it's the same with food, sometimes he'll eat loads of food and gobble his bottles, but yesterday he wasn't very hungry and had his solids, but only 3 bottles.
    Can't believe it's a nice day with you, we woke up to fog! And it's blooming freezing!
    Tyson the dog also has a bunny tail on, but he didn't want to show it off!
    Like Beck said, you know her the best just go with the flow and enjoy the mess. Oh, and get the camera ready for some cute food all over the face shots!!!!
  • thanks Suzaie & Beck, looking forward to it (although i think my dog is looking forward to the mess more than me lol) Yes we have a beautiful sunny day here in London, just right for a walk in the park ....... Tyson with a bunny tail on hey? now there's a phrase I never thought i'd say ... such a little cutie though, what happened to your piccy of Jake? are you going to be putting a more up to date one up? xxx
  • Yeah, the dog had never been so interested in Jake since he's been on solids!!!
    That's my easter pic and I'll put a newer one of Jake on after Easter.
  • Hi ladies, just to let you know .. i gave Chloe a few spoons of baby rice before her mid morning bottle and she loved it!!! She was kicking her little legs evertime the spoon came towards her (obviously was ready) she left 2 oz of her bottle, but i'm not fussed as she ate all of the rice i made up ( ok some of it went around her face and in her hair!!lol) Thanks again for the advice. Sarah xxx
  • That's great! Jake had a new trick today when I gave him some porrigde, he thought it would be good to put his hand in his mouth when it was full of food and then rub it everywhere, mmm lovely!
  • Have you tried changing her milk?
    my Lo was waking at night after sleeping through and i changed his milk to the hungrier baby and this helped for a few weeks.

And a word of advice on sweet potato if you are going to use it blend it down then put it through a sieve as it has fibrous bits in it that babies find hard to digest and can cause problems to there digestive system but a great starter for weaning, as is butternut squash and the supermarkets have made it even easier now as they chop it for you.

But mind it does have sulpher dioxide in it as a preservative as this can bring on breath problems in children susseptable. God the things i've learned!!! And here i was thinking you just mash a bit of food and give it to them!!!!!
  • thanks for the tips suziejayne, hadn't thought of the hungrier baby milk as she is v happy during the day on her usual milk it's just she started waking up in the middle of the night for a feed.

Thanks for the info about sweet potato, i did buy some but thought that we are not quite there yet, at the moment I am just giving her either a spoon of baby rice or creamed porridge.

hv told me that I couldn't mash things until she was 6 months (puree up till then) but didn't tell me to sieve - but like i said we are not quite there with the proper solids yet but it's good to know these things in advance hey?. xxx