Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Random Questions...

Im due my baby in 12 days time and I got a few questions to ask and i thought who better to ask then mums! Also i thought this would be a good place where people can just post random questions they want answered...

1. I read that if your breastfeeding you shouldnt give your baby a dummy until they are a month old? Has anyone gone by this?

2. With cribs do you still need to put the baby in with feet at the end of crib?

3. Ive heard so many mixed views on when cleaning a baby boys nappy. Some say you should pull back the foreskin to clean and others say no u shouldnt...so which is it lol

Thanks all! x

Replies

• hi samanthaleigh

1. im breastfeeding my son, hes 8 days old, he does use a dummy but i didnt give it to him until he was 5 days old, i use it 4 comfort 4 him if we are out or hes tired. so its up 2 u.

2. with my first when i put her into her cot from moses basket i still put her feet at bottom because of the blanket and the wriggling about they could suffercate themselves wih the blanket where as if they at the bottom they can only go upwards.

3. i have to admit i havent pulled his foreskin back to clean it, i not 100% sure bout that to b honest, my hubby hasnt done it either. ill ask my mw on monday and let u know.

hope this has helped. gd luck with yr birth look forward to reading yr post, not long now xx

Rachael
  • Hi,
    1. The thing with dummies and breastfeeding is nipple confusion. I gave my lo a dummy when he was 2 days old (he's breastfed) and I had no problems. He's a sucky baby and used me to comfort suck.

2. Feet at end of the crib is correct!

3. Don't pull his foreskin back when cleaning him, also point his willy down otherwise he will wee out of the top of the nappy and soak his clothes.

Hope this helps.
    Sara. x
  • Thanks Rachael youve been a big help. Not long now no and im scared lol but very excited too. Im sure ill soon think of more questions to ask. They always pop up at the most random times! x
  • Some babies can get confused if breast fed when given a dummy early others are fine! I think you should wait a while before giving a dummy, just to see if they can manage without one, new babies take a while to settle down after birth. Yes you still need to put the baby in crib, cot or moses basket with feet at the end. You shouldnt need to pull a baby boys foreskin back to clean, there is a reason why but cant remember what it is, sorry. hope this helps. x
  • Thanks sara that has helped alot image
  • hey samanthaleigh,
    1. i give both of mine dummy's and they were both b/f, give first a dummy while we were still in hospital as he was a very 'sucky' baby. i think if your going to b/f and want them to have a dummy you should give it earlier as they will get used to it (if that makes sense!) i've never heard that you should wait.
    2. yes, they still need to be at the bottom of the crib. it's so that they don't wiggle under their blanket and overheat.
    3. i have two boys and have never cleaned under foreskin as far as i know you shouldn't (wouldn't it hurt them?)

too much information is a bad thing, so confusing lol!!
    good luck with your baby x. do you know your having a boy? do you have names picked?
  • Yes mumto2 definately having a little boy image He will be called Jaiden, middle name Kyer. Very excited though so much to take in! But im trying to take it all with a pinch of salt and guessing my natural instincts will kick in?! (so i hope lol)

• i thought pulling the foreskin back would hurt them that is why i havent done it.

samanthaleigh, youre going to do fine, i was nervous when i went into labour with both of mine but once they here it all goes away. i wish u luck. are u having a boy do u know? any names uve decided on? we named our son Cole.

Rachael x
  • Aww lovely name. Yes definately having a boy and He'll be named Jaiden. Its weird to know ive only got 12 days until im due but still feels like ive got months yet!

Well i also thought it would hurt them, i wouldnt of done it unless i knew for sure.So definately wont be trying that one!

Ive got a bit of a problem with my crib because its larger than a normal crib but smaller than a cot its really difficult to buy decent bedding as cot sizes are way too big but with the crib size bottom sheets its short of about an inch at the end of the crib. Do you think this will be ok?
  • Got another question! lol...

I know that a perfect room temp for baby to sleep in is between 16-20 degrees...So would you just cover the lo with one or two layer or blanket? One thing i worry about is baby being too hot or cold...oh and with those sleep bags do you also need to use blankets or just the sleepbag?

Sorry for all the questions! i must sound like i know sod all! image
  • I use a 2.5 tog sleep bag only. and we have a heater on low in his room to maintain the temp, he's nice and toasty.
    Sara. x
  • Thanks Sara, I have a couple of sleep bags all at different togs for different times of the year...they seem like the easier option to go for then worrying about layers of blankets! x