Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Problem..

Hi Everyone,
Im breastfeeding Lilia and it has seemed to make her very clingy. During the day she just wont be put down, she wants to be hled constantly. Even if she falls asleep during a feed, she can e fast asleep and as soon as I put her down she starts screaming again so I have to feed her again and its a vicious circle. If I leave her in her cot in the day she just screams, she has been known to carry on screaming for an hour and a half!

The only way she knows how to fall asleep is through breast feeding and its becoming very tiring. She goes down in her cot about 9.30pm and wakes first at about 1am so a feed. I feed her, she falls asleeps in my arms so I try to put her back in he cot and as soon as she is in. She is wide awake screaming again. Last night it took 3 attempts to put her back each time she fed. I have tried the controlled crying method and this doesnt work.

Anyone got any ides? Im desperate! She wont take a dummy btw either x x

Replies

• Hello
    have you tried feeding your lo while lying down then shes not in your arms that might help other than that im not much use.
    My lo won't sleep without his dummy but you say your lo won't take one.
    She might be going through a growth spurt and stop it next week hopefully!
  • Hi I had this problem initially with my lo for the 1st 6 weeks,
    so used to feed him lying down. He grew out of it when he started sleeping through. Have you tried expressing & getting your partner to bottle feed the last feed, to break the cycle of being so clingy to you? Once she gets used to going to sleep by herself you can breast feed again. Hope that helps xx
  • This sounds so familiar! reece isnt clingy at all but come sleep time he just wants to sleep on me. Some nights I have battled it out with him and some nights I'm too tired so he wins! There have been nights where he has woken every 15 mins if i put him back in his cot and I have tried everything. Reece wont have a dummy either and is breastfed. I have felt like the only person in the world going through this as everywhere I go, people are telling me that their babies are sleeping through! Reece was 6 months old on Monday and has just started to improve in the last week and go back in his cot, although he is always asleep - I darent wake him up and let him settle himself! He is far from a perfect sleeper though - wakes up quite a lot and it can take anything from 30 seconds to an hour and a half to get him back to sleep!! Take care hun, sleep deprevation is hell, I just wish I had an answer for us! Jo x
  • Sorry, forgot to say Lilia is 6 weeks old x
  • have you tried letting her suck on your little finger, mine is bf and won't take a dummy but he will suck his fists and my finger. Sometimes they just want to suck rather than feed, but I do agree with brodiesmum about the growth spurt I had that with mine last week....good news is all back to normal now.
  • mine was exactly the same! but she's only 6 weeks so i wouldn't worry too much, she'll probably get better as she gets older! i'd try getting her to take a bottle of expressed milk to give you a break and break the cycle a bit (it took me nearly 2 months to get mine to take a bottle!!) and once mine got used to a bottle he would take a dummy too, and that helped him sleep through! x. hope that helps, coz it does seem at the time that all your doing is feeding and don't get any sleep image